Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,934 times

Advertisements

His state health care plan, his increasingly lenient stance on gay rights, and now I find out he's been putting emissions caps on power plants in his state. As a liberal, I hope he wins the GOP nomination

Mitt Romney hit for past emissions stance - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,258,135 times
I sense another flip-flop coming....

Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,036 times
Wow, I always like more polution in my state. It is so healthy for everyone and makes it so much more liveable...lol.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:29 AM

865 posts, read 677,243 times
Liberal solutions don't work in the long run. SMH. Yes, there are concerns, but you need to do things the right way, and not manipulate the economy. That is how we end up with more problems than solutions. Nearsightedness policy-making... oh well, I can't blame people for liking it. It does require a considerable amount of thought to have real solutions, and not just "I order thee!!!"

Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Liberal solutions don't work in the long run. SMH. Yes, there are concerns, but you need to do things the right way, and not manipulate the economy. That is how we end up with more problems than solutions. Nearsightedness policy-making... oh well, I can't blame people for liking it. It does require a considerable amount of thought to have real solutions, and not just "I order thee!!!"
The Civil War, the women's rights movement, the labor movement, the civil rights movement, national health care in Canada and Europe...have all seemed to turn out ok.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
The Civil War, the women's rights movement, the labor movement, the civil rights movement, national health care in Canada and Europe...have all seemed to turn out ok.
Modern Liberal ideology and 3 of those things aren't the same. Plus, the Civil war? You mean where 600,000 people died? You don't think the civil was was fought over slavery, do you? I know that is what primary schools teach, but surely, you know better.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Modern Liberal ideology and 3 of those things aren't the same. Plus, the Civil war? You mean where 600,000 people died? You don't think the civil was was fought over slavery, do you? I know that is what primary schools teach, but surely, you know better.
Of course it's a complex issue, but the Southern States seceded primarily to protect the institution of slavery, as was clearly stated in Alexander Steven's "Cornerstone Speech", and that secession led to military action initially over the control of federal forts. So from the Confederate States of America's standpoint, yes, the war was over their "Peculiar Institution" as Alexander Steven clearly stated.

Don't forget, the confederate referred to Lincoln as a liberal. And the Jim Crow boys referred to the civil rights leaders as liberals.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Of course it's a complex issue, but the Southern States seceded primarily to protect the institution of slavery, as was clearly stated in Alexander Steven's "Cornerstone Speech", and that secession led to military action initially over the control of federal forts. So from the Confederate States of America's standpoint, yes, the war was over their "Peculiar Institution" as Alexander Steven clearly stated.

Don't forget, the confederate referred to Lincoln as a liberal. And the Jim Crow boys referred to the civil rights leaders as liberals.
So over 500,000(of the total casualties) white people died to stop slavery? Thomas DiLorenzo covered this best in his many writings with full factual sources.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
So over 500,000(of the total casualties) white people died to stop slavery? Thomas DiLorenzo covered this best in his many writings with full factual sources.
That's why I specifically said the Confederate States of America, referring to the Southern governments and their reasons for secession, which was to preserve the institution of slavery, which sparked the Civil War. As for all the soldiers, almost none of the southern soldiers owned slaves and most of the northern soldiers were racist themselves, they were just fighting on behalf of their governments. Noble isn't it?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
That's why I specifically said the Confederate States of America, referring to the Southern governments and their reasons for secession, which was to preserve the institution of slavery, which sparked the Civil War. As for all the soldiers, almost none of the southern soldiers owned slaves and most of the northern soldiers were racist themselves, they were just fighting on behalf of their governments. Noble isn't it?
Here is where I should repeat the second half of my prior post. You're going off loose information, only a smidgen of what actually happened. Slavery was not the main reason for the Civil War, racism in the north? Are you kidding me? You are ignoring a lot of data by coming to that conclusion. You're making the collectivist argument, which is completely out of touch with reality. The first question you should ask yourself, why are we the only nation to end slavery by a civil war? That is when you know something is wrong with some of the history and it's claims to pinpoint the cause so negligently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections