Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,638 times

Advertisements

OK, so I know you guys don't believe all the sexual harassment allegations against Cain, dismiss them as "liberal media smear", "high-tech lynching" etc. You guys stand with him now, and say you even make him the GOP nominee. But you also want to beat Obama more than anything else in the world.

Now what happens if more details emerge about Cain after the GOP nomination, this time details so damaging that all other independent/moderate/neutral voters won't touch Cain with a barge-pole after that? If Cain gets painted as a serial sex offender, you will basically be handing Obama a landslide victory. Did you consider that possibility? What then? After the GOP nomination, the so-called "liberal media" will have an incredible incentive to dig up every dirt they can.

I have been mulling over this, and decided to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
OK, so I know you guys don't believe all the sexual harassment allegations against Cain, dismiss them as "liberal media smear", "high-tech lynching" etc. You guys stand with him now, and say you even make him the GOP nominee. But you also want to beat Obama more than anything else in the world.

Now what happens if more details emerge about Cain after the GOP nomination, this time details so damaging that all other independent/moderate/neutral voters won't touch Cain with a barge-pole after that? If Cain gets painted as a serial sex offender, you will basically be handing Obama a landslide victory. Did you consider that possibility? What then? After the GOP nomination, the so-called "liberal media" will have an incredible incentive to dig up every dirt they can.

I have been mulling over this, and decided to ask.
No.

What I want is to talk about what we're going to do about the economy / 16 trillion in debt / being found guilty before proven innocent at an airport. That's what I care about.

I also want consistency in principals, so if you want to talk about Cain's made up transgressions, OK, let's talk about Clinton's documented admitted transgressions and why isn't he in jail? Oh, now we're supposed to just let things go, bygones be bygones, and "move on" with our lives, right?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,638 times
You didn't get the point of my post.

Yes, we all like to talk about the economy, jobs etc., but I am asking about a scenario where more damaging details emerge about Cain later which you can't ignore. OK, you can ignore, but maybe most others won't. If Cain is portrayed as a sleaze, do you think he will stand a chance against Obama? As is, it will be a close race. Don't kid yourself if you think the moderates and independents will be as fired up as the GOP base to blindly stand by Cain through everything. If you take the sheer number of left wing vs. right wing media, the former outnumber the latter.

My personal thought is that, if such a situation arises, Republicans will lose the election.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,277 times
The attacks against Cain have crashed and burned. Now it's time to attack his supporters.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
The people who support Cain don't think like that or they probably wouldn't be supporting Cain to begin with...so unless something much more overwhelming comes out, I doubt his support decreases by much...maybe slightly, but right now not much.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Correct, dixiegirl7, Cain's supporters are not deep thinkers, and fail to reconcile to the fact that a loss in 2012 will empower the obama administration more than its ever been. Most likely, Pelosi becomes House Speaker again for one thing. Its great he is going through this now, for either he needs to become the next R(I)P or MB, earlier passing fads, or he needs to become credible to real, mainstream America, the group who did not drink the TP koolaid.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
You didn't get the point of my post.

Yes, we all like to talk about the economy, jobs etc., but I am asking about a scenario where more damaging details emerge about Cain later which you can't ignore. OK, you can ignore, but maybe most others won't. If Cain is portrayed as a sleaze, do you think he will stand a chance against Obama? As is, it will be a close race. Don't kid yourself if you think the moderates and independents will be as fired up as the GOP base to blindly stand by Cain through everything. If you take the sheer number of left wing vs. right wing media, the former outnumber the latter.

My personal thought is that, if such a situation arises, Republicans will lose the election.
Chances are the Republicans and the main stream media is going to support a "Democrat-lite" candidate, such as Romney. Other "Democrat-lite" types include Perry. On the surface, Cain looked OK and at least stands up to the media / Democrats but his policies pretty much support the status quo which got us in the current mess in the first place.

The fundamental problem is "the powers that be" own both the Democrats and Republicans, and the ""choice"" you've been getting at the ballot box for the last couple of decades are stacked with candidates which have taken vast amounts of money and resources from this economy and stashed it for themselves through legal means (not ethical, not moral, but legal).

It looks like 2012 is shaping up to be another vote for a Democrat or "Democrat-lite" candidate once more. Couple this with the onslaught of endless gossip stories about candidates to the point that nobody wants to talk about issues anymore, and you get the mess we are currently in with more to come in the future.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,277 times
What is the evidence Romney is breaking away from the pack?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:10 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct, dixiegirl7, Cain's supporters are not deep thinkers, and fail to reconcile to the fact that a loss in 2012 will empower the obama administration more than its ever been. Most likely, Pelosi becomes House Speaker again for one thing. Its great he is going through this now, for either he needs to become the next R(I)P or MB, earlier passing fads, or he needs to become credible to real, mainstream America, the group who did not drink the TP koolaid.

Yes, the 'not deep thinkers' are exactly why we have had this cartoonish contest so far. Even I am starting to get embarrassed by it all...sheesh.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:14 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
dixiegirl7, The primaries have successively led themselves to ever more embarrassing fields, and 2012 is the worst I've seen yet, with the solid ones like Daniels and Christie choosing to sit out, while the 2nd string is on display. This would be like watching an MLB WS where all starters were chosen (rules do not permit it, thankfully) from September call up rookies, instead of vets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections