Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
If the no vote passes, then they deserve to be California 2. Let them F themselves.
More California envy! Seems to be pervasive on this board. Can't say I blame any of you. It's great here!

Dem Gov Brown has proposed sweeping reforms of govt worker pensions and benifits in California.

But Brown's approach is to bargain with the unions out of a position of mutual respect, and seek compromise and concensus.

It is the exact opposite of the approach by the governors in the Republican States, where the plan is to destroy the unions and do the bidding of their corporate masters, by further eroding the standards of wages and benefits available to the middle class, already well on the way toward minimum-wage/ no benefit serfdom in many states. (And, not incidentally, to destroy a major source of campaign funds for their Democratic opposition).

That is what is at stake in Ohio tomorrow. There is power in a union!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Don't count your chickens yet.

Internal labor memo warns Ohio union fight could go either way - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

Quote:
An internal memo from a key labor-backed group in the state is flatly warning that the polls are “flawed” and that a big win for labor is not even “remotely possible.”
Now, I guess they could be just hedging their bets and trying to lower the bar.

Quote:
“Those predicting a blowout for our side are basing their analysis on flawed public polling samples,” reads the memo, which was circulated to labor and political operatives involved in the fight by Brian Rothenberg, the executive director of Progress Ohio, which is partly bankrolled by labor.
The memo also notes previous ballot issue that were way off.

I'd say if the people in OH (big union state), pay attention to the corruption, abuses and fleecing of the taxpayer at union hands, the pro-reform forces will win hands down.

But the dems/left/unions are good at distorting and twisting the facts, just like they tried to do in WI with all their dire warnings...failed there too.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
The Red Tide is already rolling back...Can you say speaker Pelosi.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Generic Congressional Vote

Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Don't count your chickens yet.

Internal labor memo warns Ohio union fight could go either way - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

Now, I guess they could be just hedging their bets and trying to lower the bar.

The memo also notes previous ballot issue that were way off.

I'd say if the people in OH (big union state), pay attention to the corruption, abuses and fleecing of the taxpayer at union hands, the pro-reform forces will win hands down.

But the dems/left/unions are good at distorting and twisting the facts, just like they tried to do in WI with all their dire warnings...failed there too.

Actually--they didn't "fail" in Wisconsin. If they'd been going after newly elected R's then I'd completely agree, but recalls aren't allowed until someone's been in office for at least a year. The D's took down two long held R seats in very conservative districts, and they defended their own seats from recall. They didn't hit the three that they needed to take over the Senate, but it wasn't an insignificant thing--especially since Dale Schultz--the moderate R who attempted to broker a deal between the tea party and unions over the Walker's budget bill--is voting with the D's against a bill to make it more difficult to run recall elections. Was it a resounding victory? No--but it sure wasn't a victory for the tea party either.
http://www.thenorthwestern.com/artic...-recall-change

Old 11-06-2011, 10:17 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I just had enough of speculation, and I'll see what the real poll says, voting day. The polls keep bouncing up and down for Congress as often as the wind changes direction. One day it looks like Democrats are going to be elected, the next day it's Republicans. Anyone who puts stock in polls like on realclearpolitics when no one knows who the nominee is in the GOP primary is counting their chickens too early. Election's a YEAR away for goodness sake

Old 11-06-2011, 10:18 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Actually--they didn't "fail" in Wisconsin. If they'd been going after newly elected R's then I'd completely agree, but recalls aren't allowed until someone's been in office for at least a year. The D's took down two long held R seats in very conservative districts, and they defended their own seats from recall. They didn't hit the three that they needed to take over the Senate, but it wasn't an insignificant thing--especially since Dale Schultz--the moderate R who attempted to broker a deal between the tea party and unions over the Walker's budget bill--is voting with the D's on a bill to make it more difficult to run recall elections. Was it a resounding victory? No--but it sure wasn't a victory for the tea party either.
They absolutely failed at every turn. The recall elections FAILED in their goal (take the Senate), the Supreme court race FAILED in its goal (Unseat Prosser), the attempt to STOP Walker's successful reforms FAILED in its goal (reforms in place and saving taxpayers MILLIONS of dollars, unions BUSTED). By all measures, the Left/unions FAILED in WI. And that Walker recall? Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The Red Tide is already rolling back...Can you say speaker Pelosi.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Generic Congressional Vote
Just so you're aware, that Quinnipiac poll has a party ID advantage of 13 points for the dems - of course they got the number they were looking for to push a "narrative".

Can't believe that anyone would want to see pelosi reinstated as speaker.

How the dems are going to take back seats in conservative districts is a dilemma though.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
They absolutely failed at every turn. The recall elections FAILED in their goal (take the Senate), the Supreme court race FAILED in its goal (Unseat Prosser), the attempt to STOP Walker's successful reforms FAILED in its goal (reforms in place and saving taxpayers MILLIONS of dollars, unions BUSTED). By all measures, the Left/unions FAILED in WI. And that Walker recall? Not so much.

Just so you're aware, that Quinnipiac poll has a party ID advantage of 13 points for the dems - of course they got the number they were looking for to push a "narrative".

How the dems are going to take back seats in conservative districts is a dilemma though.

If Quinnipiac is off by 13, then that still leaves labor up by 12 points on issue 2. The question will be if they can turn out voters in an off year. We'll just have to see what happens.

As for the rest--if the tea party had the mandate that you seem to think it does, none of this would be even close. All I can say is that I think the next year is going to be really interesting.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:

And the only one that favored Rs (rasmussen) not only doesn't poll Cell phone only house holds that make up 1/3 of all household and are about 20% more democratic, but they have a 4 hour window for their polls which makes them even more Republican has resulted in an average error of 5.8% last election and a 3.9% republican bias. Seeing as how cell phone only households have risen in the last year and are expect to continue rising I would see those bias getting bigger and bigger.

Things even out.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I have been watching this issue closely since I am an Ohio native and know quite a few people who are pushing for a "No" vote on this issue. Really their main gripe is the lose of collective bargaining, not budget cuts, they are all for cuts as long as they can be bargained and really I don't see an issue with this.

I am so-so on my support for labor. I think there are good things about them and not so good but regardless, I do feel that collective bargaining should still be available for public employees. Whether some like it or not, there are many public employees and they do serve the states/government that they are working for. Many I know do support having these employees pay into their pensions more and to pay more for their benefits but they want to be able to bargain for these issues and not just be under the iron hammer of the government and I don't see an issue with that.

I only recently gave up my Ohio residency as I was voting by absentee for years since I don't plan on staying in the state I currently live in (GA) forever and eventually want to move back to OH. If I still had my residency I would vote No on Issue2. Pretty much everyone I know in Ohio will do the same. I also do not see it the same as Wisconsin. I like that Ohio has given the issue over the voters to make a final decision and not just let the governor or state reps do whatever they want to do. It will affect the populace of the state moreso than the politicians so let them decide.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Apparently your definition of "ignore" is to post a reply. You ought check out the definition of the word. I have a feeling you'll be surprised.
Apparently you don't know the meaning of the word ignore...I can post in this thread all day long, and still be ignoring the OP, just as I would ignore your comments as being meaningless, and juvenile.....
You are really stretching...
The real reason I'm back is I was reading all the reps I got on my post....!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections