Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the debate tonight?
Romney 11 17.46%
Perry 1 1.59%
Cain 4 6.35%
Gingrich 8 12.70%
Sanctorum 2 3.17%
Bachmann 2 3.17%
Paul 34 53.97%
Huntsman 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
I do understand, and I have understood it for many years. I even predicted that their actions would occur decades ago.
Link me to something so I can understand what the truth is on trade with China. Seems to me, if they don't play fair, nobody is forced to trade with them. We like to buy what they produce because we get what we want for an affordable price. It benefits us both, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:01 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Is that so!!!! They have only one plan and it's the same plan they have had for ever. Cut taxes for the rich, gut the regulations that protect both consummers and the environment. Diminish education, get rid of livable wages, forget alternative sources of energy, either steal the money from social security or give it to wall street to administer, Keep on trying the trickle down theory until everyone but the elite is poverty stricken, let the poor die if they get sick and on and on in that same vein.

You know that definition of insanity? That one that says that you are insane if you keep trying the same failing thing over and over again hoping against hope that it will work at some point. That not only defines insanity it defines the GOP.

You know, we have a very strong right wing government here in Canada and they are anything but stupid. Their policies are well laid out in black and white. No matter what the file is or what the issue is the Conservative party of Canada will have a well written and researched paper laying out exactly what that policy is and what the intended results of that policy will be.

To be a political leader in this country wether left, right or middle you HAVE to be a highly intellegent person that has a good grasp of the entire body politic. You have got to be able to answer any question with facts figures and stats that will support your position. You have to have an intimate knowledge of the workings of the entire government and every department within the government. You have got to know how each province operates and be very familiar with the conflicts between the the different levels of government. You absolutely have to be a constitutional expert because everything you do will be proscribed by that document. In Canada becoming a political leader is usually a step down for these people because it demands the kind of person that has had huge sucess in life because of their abilities. Therefore they are in it to truely be public servants and because they have a vision for this country.

When I look at this crop of GOP hopefuls, what do I see? I see a collection of Has beens, never beens, ignoramusus, zealots, know nothings, self serving wannabes and not one single person that is fit to be the leader of your country except Romney and he is a democrat.

Where are the conservatives of real weight? Where is the conservative leader of integrity, honesty, brilliance, vision and worth? You just don't have any of those and do you know why? It's because such a person would not put themselves in thrall to corporate and financial interests against the interests of the people.

Even though I'm not a conservative myself I have no doubt at all that the conservative government of Canada puts the interests of the country and the people first and always ahead of any special interest.

The American conservative will ALWAYS put the special interests ahead of the country and the people because he or she is OWNED by those interests.
What the hell do you care, your Canadian?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
A Canadian isn't welcome to express an opinion about the politics of our country?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
I know lots about conservatives. Enough to be able to tell you that the GOP does not meet the definition and the real conservatives in the country have no option at all.

That is an interesting idea all together. We had the same problem here in Canada. There was almost no difference at all between the LIBERALS, THE PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVES AND THE NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY. They were all left of center, big government, centralized power parties. Our present government began as the Reform Party in 1988. A real conservative alternative. It took a while but there are enough real conservative voters in Canada that this new conservative party is the governing party in Canada. Not only are they the governing party but they have a majority government that means in our system that anything they want, as long as it's constitutional they get. If you want to see the results of a true conservative government in action then just observe how well Canada does or doesn't in the next 4 years.
While it's true that there were more true conservatives in Congress 20 or 30 years ago, you made some errors like the "tax cuts for the rich" myth. Conservatives favor tax cuts for everyone (everyone who pays taxes) not just "the rich."

Another error you made is about trickle down. It does not leave everyone but the elite "poverty-stricken." Where did you get that from?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,251 times

Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 PM

535 posts, read 585,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I hate these debates and dont waste my time watching them. The way they are run, its almost like a stupid game show with a stupid moderator.

Id rather something less formal, more engaging. More actual time for the candidates to really talk and give their views and points.

The moderators have to much play in all these and its just not fairly done

Please, in 15 seconds or less or 11 syllables or less, explain how you would fix the debating system?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
It really does not matter if I like it or not but the truth of the matter is this. My country of Canada is GREATLY effected by whatever happens in the USA. Canada is a trading country and our standard of living depends on that. 85% of our exports go to the USA. WE are also important to the USA as a trading partner and are in fact your largest.

AS one of Our PMs once said, "When you are a mouse sleeping in the same bed with an elephant you are very consious of which way that elephant rolls".

Old 11-09-2011, 10:22 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,397 times
Quote:
WE are talking about the GOP here not the Democrats. Why is it that it's not possible to discuss the failings of the conservative forces in the USA without people injecting, The dems, the dems,the dems. It's irelevant. It makes as much sence as when discussing how bad things are in El Slavadore someone jumps in and says,"Ya think so Eh! well what about Gabbon???

If the GOP was not so horrible then you would not have to worry about the Dems because the GOP would most likely win the election. I predict that with this field they will most certainly will lose and you will be stuck with the DEMS and all their warts for another term.

Well, that is the altenative. Also, it isn't exactly objective criticism coming from people who are the exact opposite of everything the conservatives stand for.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Is he dumber or smarter than Obama without a teleprompter? In your estimation...
He's dumber than an actual teleprompter itself.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:41 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,800 times
Ron Paul tells the truth without all the flashy soundbites or scandals...

He's the only adult in the room that isn't owned by anyone...

It was an interesting debate put on by CNBS....

The fact is a majority of our country is clueless when it comes to finance and business

Cain did well but as the Barak-0-lypse accelerates and our economy collapses I doubt his 999 tax plan will fly...

Romney actually had me thinking he was OK, but then I realized I was being fed the big government Neo Con Kool Aid, but I just can't trust him, slick professional liar

Newt is obviously pretty smart but I have a problem with his past support of Cap and Tax, Id love to see him have a real debate with 0bama though

Perry I just can't figure out, but there's something wrong there

Huntsman actually called out Goldman Sachs No wonder he doesn't have any $$$ or support...

Bachman/Santorum need to get out so there could be more time for the rest of em...

Ron Paul is the best one up there, he's not the greatest debater in that setting where he's ignored or asked only select questions to try to make him look bad...

I have to vote my conscious, but AB0 is almost appealing too

0bummer is so far left though Romney does look better though

Still a long way to go and lot's of BAD things yet to happen before the election though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections