Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 PM

1,332 posts, read 995,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
People shouldn't choose a canidate exclusively based on debating skills, because being President involves much more than that. When the campaign is over, you have to actually do the job then. The debates have been important and do make some difference, you have to be able to speak, but it is not everything.

I think when it comes to Newt and Obama, Obama can give it to Newt on his record and past as much as Newt can to him. Newt has a whole lot more history there also. They will dig into every vote he ever cast and every position he ever took.

the first part of your statement says it all..."YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY DO THE JOB THEN" Sadly...Mr. Obama didn't do that when he promised to unite the country...and to CHANGE the way the government was run....and for it to be transparent.

So....that pretty much lets Mr. Obama out in the cold according to you dear. Based on your statement...Obama is an unadulterated failure to the nth degree, and does not deserve to be a part of a presidential election in this country.

Thank you for clarifying a point I have been making for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
the first part of your statement says it all..."YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY DO THE JOB THEN" Sadly...Mr. Obama didn't do that when he promised to unite the country...and to CHANGE the way the government was run....and for it to be transparent.

So....that pretty much lets Mr. Obama out in the cold according to you dear. Based on your statement...Obama is an unadulterated failure to the nth degree, and does not deserve to be a part of a presidential election in this country.

Thank you for clarifying a point I have been making for a long time.

Actually, President Obama did not walk into the White House with a magic wand...no president does. And I know that Republicans really can't see it this way but the Republicans do look like a bunch of stonewallers.

I think that the "just say no to everything" strategy has and will continue to backfire on the GOP. Yes, on the one hand it makes President Obama look as if he isn't getting things done. But on the other hand, Republicans in Congress blocked everything that he wanted to do. The only people that this strategy made "happy" were the GOP base (and they really aren't the ones that the GOP needs to convince to vote Rep)

In 2012, the election will come down to who is more to blame for not trying to help Americans, and the Republicans don't quite see it coming yet but they aren't going to have clean hands in that discussion. Too many of the GOP got all excited about the anti-Obama hate parade known as the Tea Party and now that the Tea Party has jumped the shark there are no more Obama-hating pep rallies to fall back on.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
...he's a good debater but then Barack Obama decides not to debate.

Seriously, you have to consider it.

If I was Obama, I wouldn't debate. He's the sitting President. Why should he debate when all he'd do is play defense all night long? In 2008, there was no incumbent so a debate was a natural thing. But Obama doesn't have to debate if he doesn't want to. The debate would be all about a criticism of him and what he's done for the last 3.5 years. No matter who his opponent is in a debate, he can't win. Remember the movie "War Games" with a young Matthew Broderick and the computer and the tic tac toe game where the computer learned the only strategy was not to play? If I was Obama, that would be my strategy, too. No debates.
Oh, I am sure you are right and I have thought about that. Obama would be a fool to debate him. Let us hope we do not get down to choosing a candidate on his debating ability or electing our next Pres solely because of this.

Nita

Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
People shouldn't choose a canidate exclusively based on debating skills, because being President involves much more than that. When the campaign is over, you have to actually do the job then. The debates have been important and do make some difference, you have to be able to speak, but it is not everything.

I think when it comes to Newt and Obama, Obama can give it to Newt on his record and past as much as Newt can to him. Newt has a whole lot more history there also. They will dig into every vote he ever cast and every position he ever took.
Dixie, I think you are wrong, but we won't know unless it happens.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh, I am sure you are right and I have thought about that. Obama would be a fool to debate him. Let us hope we do not get down to choosing a candidate on his debating ability or electing our next Pres solely because of this.

Nita
You really believe this? Gingrich does "ok" at the debates. He has not scored a knockout punch at any of them. What makes you think Obama is concerned with debating him. Just because he can remeber three items at the same time does not make him a genius. Gingrich's debating skills are similar to Cheney's. He doesn't get rattled, and he has the ability to say outrageous things with a straight face. On other hand, his extremely dislikable personality shines through.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Actually, President Obama did not walk into the White House with a magic wand...no president does. And I know that Republicans really can't see it this way but the Republicans do look like a bunch of stonewallers.

I think that the "just say no to everything" strategy has and will continue to backfire on the GOP. Yes, on the one hand it makes President Obama look as if he isn't getting things done. But on the other hand, Republicans in Congress blocked everything that he wanted to do. The only people that this strategy made "happy" were the GOP base (and they really aren't the ones that the GOP needs to convince to vote Rep)

In 2012, the election will come down to who is more to blame for not trying to help Americans, and the Republicans don't quite see it coming yet but they aren't going to have clean hands in that discussion. Too many of the GOP got all excited about the anti-Obama hate parade known as the Tea Party and now that the Tea Party has jumped the shark there are no more Obama-hating pep rallies to fall back on.
You say he isn't getting things done because the congress is blocking every thing: what about the senate blocking the house? Are you going to tell us that isn't happening or how many times has Obama told the country, he will veto this or that? How many times has he said we need cooporation on both sides as long as it is done pretty much my way?

YOu don't have to like Republicans, obviously you have made this clear over and over, but Obama isn't the answer for our country...

Nita

Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,700,262 times
C'mon, some of you Republicans need to stop beating around the bush and just say it: you don't like any GOP candidates running in the field. With Huntsman and Paul being put aside because they are willing to go against the grain the far right wingnut politics, you guys might as well go "eeny meeny miney mo."

Obama has been a horrible president, but he looks well qualified compared to the hypocrites the GOP base is supporting.

Seriously, you guys are laughable. Romney??? Gingrich??? Perry??? Bachmann??? This is the sorriest GOP field I have ever seen and my conservative friends say the same thing.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,700,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You say he isn't getting things done because the congress is blocking every thing: what about the senate blocking the house? Are you going to tell us that isn't happening or how many times has Obama told the country, he will veto this or that? How many times has he said we need cooporation on both sides as long as it is done pretty much my way?

YOu don't have to like Republicans, obviously you have made this clear over and over, but Obama isn't the answer for our country...

Nita
Seriously? You really think the GOP did everything they can in favor of bipartisanship in the past year?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,304,236 times
The GOP's track record isn't good with the way they more or less have constant turnover with their candidates. Even if you ain't an Obama fan, you gotta admit the man is consistent.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Where does this idea come from that Newt is a master debater? Are the Republicans just excited that they can count ONE person in their ranks who is not a manifest idiot who can't count to three? That doesn't mean Newt is a genuis people. For some of us, you have to do a lot more than remember which federal programs you're going to cut to be considered smart.
Dr. Newton Gringrich has a better grasp of world history and the issues than Obama the Harvard lawyer that never had a paying client or was able to get a job with a real employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections