Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,393,102 times

Advertisements

The (highly conservative) US Supreme Court will render judgment on the constitutionality of three issues in 2012 that may serve as virtual referendums on Barrack Obama's presidency:

1) The Affordable Health Care Act
2) Arizona SB1070 (Illegal Immigration)
and, to a lesser extent:
3) The Texas Reapportionment Plan

Furthermore, Liberal Justice Elana Kagan will have to recuse herself from the Arizona decision, since she headed the Justice team that filed the federal suits to block the law.

Kagan will also be under a lot of GOP pressure to recuse herself from the Obamacare decision too.

Is the Supreme Court primed to insert itself into a presidential race and tip the advantage to the GOP again??? Or, is the timing "coincidental"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The (highly conservative) US Supreme Court will render judgment on the constitutionality of three issues in 2012 that may serve as virtual referendums on Barrack Obama's presidency:

1) The Affordable Health Care Act
2) Arizona SB1070 (Illegal Immigration)
and, to a lesser extent:
3) The Texas Reapportionment Plan

Furthermore, Liberal Justice Elana Kagan will have to recuse herself from the Arizona decision, since she headed the Justice team that filed the federal suits to block the law.

Kagan will also be under a lot of GOP pressure to recuse herself from the Obamacare decision too.

Is the Supreme Court primed to insert itself into a presidential race and tip the advantage to the GOP again??? Or, is the timing "coincidental"?
Not sure why you would say this, but I guess will just have to let the cards fall where they may. We could say, Obama is holding out for certain things so the election will not be influenced or that he is bringing the troops home to iimpress people. A lot of what happens in the next 10 months will have to do with the election.

Nita

Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,928,961 times
i dont think those rulings will have an affect. i think it would hurt obama more if the sc rules in favor of the health plan

Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i dont think those rulings will have an affect. i think it would hurt obama more if the sc rules in favor of the health plan
A win for Arizona in its case would definitely be a morale boost for conservatives, and would discredit Obama's Justice Dept.

An over-turning of the Dem/Hisp friendly Texas Reapportionment could have practical effects at the local level and in the US HR, and delay the (likely inevitable) "purpling" of a Red State.

The big one is Obamacare. The Affordable Care Act is the central domestic achievement of Obama's presidency so far. A favorable ruling for Obama might might have the perverse effect of further energize his oppositon, but it seems to me they are already pretty hepped up. If SCOTUS overturns the law, it will rob the Obama campaign of a lot of momentum right around convention time.

So, yeah, I think all three rulings could potentially have an effect, one way or the other. If the Left wins all three, it will probably have a nearly neutral effect on the election, but if the Right wins all three, the GOP will exploit the decisions (especially Arizona and Obamacare) to the max, to paint Obama as a failed president.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,969,607 times
Quote:
A win for Arizona in its case would definitely be a morale boost for conservatives, and would discredit Obama's Justice Dept.

An over-turning of the Dem/Hisp friendly Texas Reapportionment could have practical effects at the local level and in the US HR, and delay the (likely inevitable) "purpling" of a Red State.

The big one is Obamacare. The Affordable Care Act is the central domestic achievement of Obama's presidency so far. A favorable ruling for Obama might might have the perverse effect of further energize his oppositon, but it seems to me they are already pretty hepped up. If SCOTUS overturns the law, it will rob the Obama campaign of a lot of momentum right around convention time.

So, yeah, I think all three rulings could potentially have an effect, one way or the other. If the Left wins all three, it will probably have a nearly neutral effect on the election, but if the Right wins all three, the GOP will exploit the decisions (especially Arizona and Obamacare) to the max, to paint Obama as a failed president.
It will be easy to paint Obama as a failed president regardless of what the SCOTUS does in these 3 cases.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,928,961 times
Quote:

i see the possibilities. i dont think arizona and texas are a big deal. most people havent even heard about sb1070, and most wont know about it after the ruling.

obamacare if he wins, it energizes his opponents more, but at the same time energizes obamas base. if he loses, it energizes his base or it could demoralize it, while the republican base is neutral. theyll be happy, but they wont be motivated.

i dont think a ruling will help or hurt.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not sure why you would say this, but I guess will just have to let the cards fall where they may. We could say, Obama is holding out for certain things so the election will not be influenced or that he is bringing the troops home to iimpress people. A lot of what happens in the next 10 months will have to do with the election.

Nita
Nita, will you concede the SCOTUS is perfectly capable of inserting itself into campaign politics?

It seems to me, the table is set for more partisan SCOTUS mischief, ala Bush v Gore and Citizens United.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,295,696 times
First of all, the AZ decision is simply whether to lift the injunction that the 9th Circuit slapped on implementation while the legal challenges were being pursued. The court will not rule on the law itself. That will come much later, if at all. But more importantly, it's the economy. If it continues to improve as it is at the moment, Obama wins big (same margins as last time). If the recovery falters, then it depends on who the Reps nominate. The only ones who have a chance of outpolling Obama are Romney and Huntsman. Huntsman is a non-starter and by the time the Reps get done with smearing Romney, he will be badly weakened. If the Reps send Gingrich up, Obama will be able to mail it in after a billion or so dollars of negative advertising exposes Newt for what he is. What the court does is not going to change anyone's vote.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Quote:
Or, is the timing "coincidental"?
Ask obama, since HE was the one to fast track it to SCOTUS.

Ask him also why he is suing states that are trying to protect their citizens, while he sits idly by NOT doing the ONE of the things the constitution requires of the federal government - protecting and enforcing the borders.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Ask obama, since HE was the one to fast track it to SCOTUS.

Ask him also why he is suing states that are trying to protect their citizens, while he sits idly by NOT doing the ONE of the things the constitution requires of the federal government - protecting and enforcing the borders.
Yeah, Alabama and Arizona did a great job protecting their citizens against fruit pickers, car wash attendants, and motel maids.

Did you ever pause to ask yourself WHY, with the greatest military and security apparatus in the world, the US has a permeable national border with Mexico?

Which case did Obama ask to be fast-tracked? If it's immigration, maybe he wants to avert the chaos of a hodge-podge of conflicting state immigration laws, and wants a difinitive answer, one way or the other? That would be the responsible thing to do.

If Obama fast-tracked Obamacare, maybe it's because he's confident he'll win!

As to why the JD is suing to block all the state immigration laws, the Justice Dept is defending the perogatives of the federal government. Whether the Feds are doing a good job at immigration control or not is beside the point. That's going to be Obama's argument, anyway. We'll see how it plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections