Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
You see it in some of the clueless wingnuts on this board. First Christie was going to be "their guy", until he didn't run. Then Perry was "their guy", until he proved to be a buffoon. Now Newt's their guy.
Not for me, Paul has been my choice since day one. I'm sending in the form to register with the GOP so I can vote for him in the primary. Huntsman is the only other candidate I would consider voting for in the general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
So how many republicans that are 65+ will be voting in IOWA :-) I hope it SNOWS and the cable goes out from 6:00am to 7:00pm.
Iowa does the caucus system--it's HEAVILY 65+ attendance, and the party there is controlled by evangelicals. The youngsters don't generally show up for the caucuses in big numbers for the R's.

Although Iowans in general are pretty moderate, the R party there has taken a very hard right, social conservative turn with heavy tea party support. I think New Hampshire will be more telling in terms of who's going to win the nomination. Huckabee won Iowa last time around (and that was about it.)

Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
So is actually voting for Newt in the primaries.

Does anyone know these people... I can't find one!
30% polled why is it I can't find one.

Did they leave the Cain Train for the insane train.
Newt is surging in polls so obviously the majority of voters want to see him win ... Just because you can't find one means nothing except your asking the wrong people.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:03 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I am conservative and I can't find any Newt supporters either. It's a mystery. I am convinced these "polls" that claim Gingrich has surged to the front as GOP favorite are planted by the opposition in an effort to deter people like GOP moderates and Independents from voting in 2012. In essence getting them to give up the fight because "Obama will obviously win". That's what the Democrats want non-Obama voters to believe so they'll become disillusioned and stay home.

I refuse to fall for the bait. I'm not thrilled with any of the GOP candidates but there is still Ron Paul and others I'd rather vote for than another nightmarish four years of Obama that will do nothing but drive the nail further into USA's coffin.

My husband pretty much said the same thing about the polls. He just doesn't think they an accurate reflection of what people are thinking. I guess he hates to think people are that dumb to fall for this Gingrich decoy.

I only know a very few who support Gingrich and they are even having second thoughts.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Politics in Iowa is a contact sport. The most active are the ones with the most spare time, and in Iowa, that means a lot of farmers, who don't have much to do in the winter, and older people who are retired.
Iowans have been courted for so long by so many candidates that, like those in New Hampshire, they get to know the candidates face to face. They don't have to go anywhere - the candidates traditionally come and court them in their small home towns all over the state.

Iowans don't have to decide their choices through second-hand means; the news means nothing much to them, because they can ask the candidates questions personally, and get first-hand impressions of the candidates. And then they get to talk about it long after the candidate leaves, friend with friend, learning what their neighbor thinks about the person. It's no surprise Iowans aren't contributing much here- why would they, when they're getting it all, up close and personal?

I don't know what Newt's after shave smells like, or how his physical reactions are to a tough question, but they know. They get to see how a candidate handles himself, how he treats his staff, and they already know the folks who are already all in for a candidate.

For sure, there is a lot of widespread Obama hate in the Republican party, and Iowans are mostly tactical voters- they have most often gone for the candidate they think will best chance of winning against the opposition.

Because it's so early, they have been wrong as often as they've been right when it comes to the final nominee. New Hampshire is even tougher on the candidates, because there are always a few that drop out after Iowa. Either state is full of people who have talked to many past Presidents extensively, and they have heard and seen it all.

But the other side of being so early is the momentum Iowa can provide, especially in a pack as crowded as this bunch is. In the early stages of any campaign, momentum is everything. It brings in the money, the volunteers, attracts the professionals who have careers in making someone President, and put them on the front page for a short time.

Things are changing, though... Bachmann has been in Iowa for months, going from town to town, house to house, and isn't making any headway, but Newt had no one working Iowa and no staff there until this week. Iowans are getting their info like the rest of us are, obviously, and then it's being backed up by the personal meetings.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:54 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I am conservative and I can't find any Newt supporters either. It's a mystery. I am convinced these "polls" that claim Gingrich has surged to the front as GOP favorite are planted by the opposition in an effort to deter people like GOP moderates and Independents from voting in 2012. In essence getting them to give up the fight because "Obama will obviously win". That's what the Democrats want non-Obama voters to believe so they'll become disillusioned and stay home.

I refuse to fall for the bait. I'm not thrilled with any of the GOP candidates but there is still Ron Paul and others I'd rather vote for than another nightmarish four years of Obama that will do nothing but drive the nail further into USA's coffin.

Uh huh ... Fox News and Scott Rasmussen, they're busy "trying to deter people like GOP moderates and Independents from voting in 2012" ...

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination

Note for those not clinging to moronic conspiracy theories -- Fox and Rasmussen show larger Gingrich leads than any other pollsters.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
So is actually voting for Newt in the primaries.

Does anyone know these people... I can't find one!
30% polled why is it I can't find one.

Did they leave the Cain Train for the insane train.
I doubt Cain supporters are going for Newt.

People who liked Cain, liked him because he was a businessman, not a career politician, and Cain wasn't pro-open borders like Newt is. Conservatives aren't going to back Gingrich.

I think it's the Perry supporters who would go for Gingrich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections