Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,058,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
It's a shame that you can't see that what Santorum is saying is that people don't need handouts..they need to earn what they get. The black reference was in answer to a specific question about blacks.

And let's be honest here...I hear blacks often say that the whites are keeping them down. I agree...the advent of the welfare program in the 60's has created a sense of entitlement to the point that MANY blacks on welfare ....as well as MANY whites on welfare ....have made it a way of life.

I think all people....black or white...should be proud to make theri own way in life, and to work for what they have....and make MORE than they could make on welfare. That is no way for a man or a woman to exist. That is no life to be proud of.
If that was true, then WHY did Santorum first DENY ever saying it? He then said that he ALWAYS uses the term "African American", not "black". If he was not regretful of his slip of the tongue, then why not just come out and explain the context of why he said what he said? He realized that he messed up and was clumsily trying to recant what he originally said.

Texans aren't the only ones that elect morons for high public office, obviously.

Last edited by wehotex; 01-06-2012 at 11:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 PM

38,689 posts, read 26,493,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Suuusssh!

Quiet! Thank goodness they are so narrow minded and dumb to figure that out. They are too dumb to realize, that with their base, new support from AA and Latinos, they may have a decent chance of winning in November. But, no. They think with just the Right White vote, they can win this. Let's keep this between you and the rest of us who know better.

Really can't understand why you think Latinos, young voters, etc will vote for Obama in the same numbers they did in 2008.

Gallup has him at 46% and most polls show him losing to whichever Republican gets the nod.

Even Carter was at 53% approval at this point in his presidency.

In fact, no modern president has had lower approval numbers at this point in his first term than Obummer, and that includes those who were defeated.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:15 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,550,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Facts not our friend today?

Santorum served two terms in the House and two terms in the Senate. During his second term in the Senate (2001-2007), he was the thrid ranking GOP Senator.
I stand corrected.

Quote:
"a lot of white people from the Jim Crow era" = "a typical white person" ?????
I'd say so. It wasn't some secret council that revived the Klan, segregated the federal government, popularized Lost Cause media, along with gross stereotypes like Stepping Fetchit, and conducted numerous terrorist campaigns. It was just everyday people. And that's also true of many older black folks that still harbor some anger towards white people.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:57 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,958,539 times
Is Santorum's comment on "black people" offensive to the GOP base or typical thought for them?

Yes it is not only our typical thought, but is our every thought... We also steal candy from babies and kick old ladies down the stairs...

Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,958,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
So you are part of the crowd that has destroyed the repub party over the last 30 yrs then?
Do you need the definition of sarcasm or is it just easier to not understand?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,333,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post

And let's be honest here...I hear blacks often say that the whites are keeping them down.
No you don't. In fact, you've never heard it. This crap is so trite and old that i don't see how you have the nerve to keep passing it on as if it'll have some ring of truth to it the more you say it.

The whole "white man is holding me down" crap is something from some 70's blaxploitation movie that caught on in popular comedy. Been black all of my life and i've yet to hear a black person say something like this.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,323,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Really can't understand why you think Latinos, young voters, etc will vote for Obama in the same numbers they did in 2008.
Well Latinos will not vote Republican because many Republicans accuse them of being racist invaders who want to destroy American culture.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:25 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,970,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No you don't. In fact, you've never heard it. This crap is so trite and old that i don't see how you have the nerve to keep passing it on as if it'll have some ring of truth to it the more you say it.

The whole "white man is holding me down" crap is something from some 70's blaxploitation movie that caught on in popular comedy. Been black all of my life and i've yet to hear a black person say something like this.
Thank You, I have never heard that either, are you sure we are Black???..

Old 01-07-2012, 03:02 PM

921 posts, read 1,135,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
How about some context? Did the question have anything to do with blacks or did he just randomly throw that in there?
Politicians are always randomly throwing the "Black" race card in their speeches. It draws a lot of attention, especially from the media.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:45 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,877,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
When you specifically mention "black people" during a speech about food stamps, medicaid or children as janitors, that is not going to get us to vote for republicans
As long as Democrats continue to pander to blacks and keep them penned up in public housing like caged voters blacks will never even consider voting for a Republican.

Even my dogs are smart enough not to vote against the person that feeds them for free and provides them a free home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections