Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,560,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
It's a shame that you can't see that what Santorum is saying is that people don't need handouts..they need to earn what they get. The black reference was in answer to a specific question about blacks.

And let's be honest here...I hear blacks often say that the whites are keeping them down. I agree...the advent of the welfare program in the 60's has created a sense of entitlement to the point that MANY blacks on welfare ....as well as MANY whites on welfare ....have made it a way of life.

I think all people....black or white...should be proud to make theri own way in life, and to work for what they have....and make MORE than they could make on welfare. That is no way for a man or a woman to exist. That is no life to be proud of.
What I always find repulsive is that (some) White people tend to lump ALL Black people into a homogenous, single-minded group because that seems to make it easier to dismiss us as a group.

I come from a VERY long line (extending back to the mid 1800s) of business owners, educators and professional Black Americans with very conservative core values. Trust me when I say that some of the most conservative comments in America are made at the Sunday dinner table of the Black middle and upper class. We do not vote for Republicans because they do not come to predominantly Black neighborhoods and doorknock, they do not speak to professional Black organizations (attorney, physician, accountants, etc), they do not reach out to Black churches, etc.

AND THEN, these same Republican candidates have the audacity to make bigoted comments about Black people whom they never took the time to actually speak with. Do they really wonder why they can not convert Black voters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,233,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Didn't Newt say the same thing just yesterday?

Imagine if Obama said the same thing, except about White people I can just imagine the teabaggers response.
Yup, Newt used Food Stamps. So, we have medicaid and food stamps down packed. And, of course don't forget the kids should be janitors at their schools to learn what it means to work. Because, you know "poor" people of color don't work.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,306,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Yup, Newt used Food Stamps. So, we have medicaid and food stamps down packed. And, of course don't forget the kids should be janitors at their schools to learn what it means to work. Because, you know "poor" people of color don't work.
Let's not forget Ron Paul's emails about getting carjacked by Blacks.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What I always find repulsive is that (some) White people tend to lump ALL Black people into a homogenous, single-minded group because that seems to make it easier to dismiss us as a group.

I come from a VERY long line (extending back to the mid 1800s) of business owners, educators and professional Black Americans with very conservative core values. Trust me when I say that some of the most conservative comments in America are made at the Sunday dinner table of the Black middle and upper class. We do not vote for Republicans because they do not come to predominantly Black neighborhoods and doorknock, they do not speak to professional Black organizations (attorney, physician, accountants, etc), they do not reach out to Black churches, etc.

AND THEN, these same Republican candidates have the audacity to make bigoted comments about Black people whom they never took the time to actually speak with. Do they really wonder why they can not convert Black voters?
Amen!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,845,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Here's the truth of what this stooge said without his spin doctoring BS. IMHO it is typical for what the GOP base has became in the last 30 years.

010212: Santorum in Iowa on Black People "Earning" Money - YouTube
The race card has been played so much over the years it is no longer the viable Joker.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:46 PM

38,651 posts, read 26,426,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
NO-- It's because he made it a point to make a stereotypical comment to make points with his racist voting base. He could have just as easily said that he didn't want ppl on welfare (ANY race) to just collect a check, with zero reference to color or race. The fact that he just had to emphasize that it was "the blacks" who are sucking up the welfare just shows what a clumsy, thoughtless stooge he is.

You do realize blacks are more likely than whites to be on welfare and that blacks tend to stay on welfare for longer periods of time and have more children born out of wedlock while on welfare, correct?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:47 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,855,423 times
Default Is Rick Santorum offensive?

Yes!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You do realize blacks are more likely than whites to be on welfare and that blacks tend to stay on welfare for longer periods of time and have more children born out of wedlock while on welfare, correct?
Well, you know, when you live in a country full of hatred and discrimination for being black, s*** happens, doesn't it?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,306,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What do you think of White Pride/Power?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 PM

38,651 posts, read 26,426,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

I totally agree that blacks, like people from every background and race, should be viewed on an individual basis. Not every black person is a gang banger and not every white person is wealthy, yet we give favorable treatment to well-to-do blacks and discriminate against impoverished whites as though race were a larger impediment to success than social and economic standing.

I see no reason the Obama girls should be given preferential treatment based on their race and gender in educational and employment opportunities over a desperately poor white male who grew up with one parent in a slummy trailer park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections