Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Right, because you are against working people and for the rich. You've made that plainly clear. You'd rather further disadvantage the poor than inconvenience the rich that you idolize. Your position is clear and understood. It's just like Jesus would do, I'm sure.

I never called you ignorant personally. I called people ignorant who choose to ignore facts that conflict with their beliefs. Do you think you are one of these people? Is that why you personalized it?
LOL I am not rich, so how am I against working people?? My husband works 60 hours a week, worked 80 when we met. I either worked or was going to school for the majority of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
no, then you'd just have monopolies, and that's not a free market either.
If a monopoly is what the free market produced...then that is a free market.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This is not economics. This is financial planning. Unless you are a business major or have investments yourself, you don't generally know this stuff.
I learned about the different types of securities in economics class. And you're correct, I guess the majority of people know little about investing and markets. I have an actually scary story...I was discussing commodity prices w/ a relative, and she got really excited when I told her the price of gold. She said she had a lot of gold coins...It turns out they were "golden dollars" she had paid 4-5 times the value of because of an advertisement.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
LOL I am not rich, so how am I against working people?? My husband works 60 hours a week, worked 80 when we met. I either worked or was going to school for the majority of my life.
Wow, then, ironically, your politics work against your own economic interest. If Mitt paid his fair share, perhaps your husband wouldn't have to work so hard-- and you as a middle income earner could have the lower tax burden that you seek.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
I'm not "crying" about owning a business or anything else. I have a great accountant who has minimized my tax burden to the degree possible within the law. But I still fall in the 33% tax bracket.

I think out of fairness, Mitt Romney who made millions more than I did-- and all of it in passive income-- should pay the same rate or more.

Where are the flat taxers on this one? They should be screaming louder than I am!
You need to listen to Suze Orman!

It's called "taking control of your finances".

Part of that is paying as little as possible (legally) to the federal government.

Then again, people like you should be proud to feed the beast, which is the federal leviathan, as much as possible.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Why does Romney's version of "not very much" matter to anyone? A dollar is not much to me, but it sure is to the guy standing on the corner asking for it.

More Democratic Desperation as they see their Messiah slowly slipping from the Throne.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:37 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Wow, then, ironically, your politics work against your own economic interest. If Mitt paid his fair share, perhaps your husband wouldn't have to work so hard-- and you as a middle income earner could have the lower tax burden that you seek.
So, please explain this brilliance.

Exactly how will raising the tax rate on capital gains help her?

Wait....let me get some popcorn!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
I'm not "crying" about owning a business or anything else. I have a great accountant who has minimized my tax burden to the degree possible within the law. But I still fall in the 33% tax bracket.

I think out of fairness, Mitt Romney who made millions more than I did-- and all of it in passive income-- should pay the same rate or more.

Where are the flat taxers on this one? They should be screaming louder than I am!
Ugh... Sorry to hear about that.

I believe I should take advantage of the low rates, but I think it is strange to reward income from investing more than income from employment. If you have money lying around, you should discuss ways you can benefit from the lower rates w/ your investment company.

It may cost you $$ in fees, but if you invest enough, the fees won't be an issue. If you pay yourself a salary, can you think of ways to "pay" yourself using investments that are taxed at a lower rate?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Since you make "a great living", certainly you must have investments.

If not, shame on you.

Now, see if you can comprehend this.....

I defend the fact that my initial income is taxed at the rate dictated under the law.

I then invest in various things which I hope one day will provide me a decent income in retirement. (aka. Passive income)

My investments are taxed at a flat 15%.

Why would an obviously hard working person like yourself want to pay a higher rate on investment income? Or, more likely, want OTHERS to pay a higher rate.

I'm certain that you have an accountant who finds "loopholes" for you to take advantage of.

Yes, I have investments, of course.

There are millions of people in my tax bracket. I'm not sure how knowing the two facts I've divulged: (a) I am in the 33% tax bracket and (b) I am a business owner gives you some special insight in to my financial situation or portfolio....

In any case, I want people like Mitt Romney, whose income is entirely passive and mostly inherited, to pay a higher rate out of equity and fairness. I think spending needs to be cut AND taxes need to go up-- but not on working mothers, taxi drivers, waiters and hotel maids. They make no freaking money! However, there are many wealthy like Romney who can afford to pay more and should. His tax rate should be at least what mine is. Period.

It's funny how many deficit hawks scream about the deficit and paying it until some millionaires taxes might go up. The money has to come from somewhere. How about from those who can afford it and pay a very low tax rate at the moment?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What does Romney's tax burden have to do with my husband working hard? So we could qualify for welfare instead of working?? You can't be serious.

We don't pay a ton in income taxes, I am not complaining.

My "politics" do not go against my self-interest. My politics are about what is fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections