Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM

791 posts, read 461,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
I agree with Ron Paul 100% on the issue. But then again, I'm a godless atheist homosexual-agenda-supporting pro-Obama liberal Democrat according to Repubbies, so the fact that liberals agree with Ron Paul on this issue is just further proof that RP will NEVER get the support of your typical Repubbie who shows up and votes in a GOP primary election.
Yup, pretty sad, ain't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:42 PM

9,895 posts, read 10,840,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained View Post

Ron Paul Dominates Fox's Twitter Survey Of The SC FOX News Debate - YouTube

Notice the uncomfortable hesitation and sarcasm towrds the fellow reporter at the end.
Please...... I can only say this is akin to any time, any poll is taken in NASCAR, Dale Jr wins hands down, no matter the question, unfortunately that never equates to performance on the track for Jr. Paul is never going to be President, and we all are just patiently waiting for the primary to be over so those legitimate "sane" supporters of his will get on board with the actual nominee while the rest continue down the track on the crazy train.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,583,017 times
Quote:
Unfortunately for Ron Paul, Twitter users don't vote in GOP primaries.

It's usually blue-haired, church-going, little old ladies (and gents) who never heard of tweeter and who would soil their grampy diapers if they ever found out their GOP nominee for prez favors legalizing drugs and hookers.
oh yeah? pants on fire

According to the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, four percent of all eligible Iowa voters under the age of 30 took part in Tuesday's presidential caucuses, and Paul was the clear-cut favorite among them, drawing the support of 48 percent of the under-30s, compared to 23 percent for Santorum and 14 percent for Romney.

For Paul supporters, “it’s not really about political views, it’s about knowledge,” says Dan Cassino, a political scientist at Fairleigh Dickinson University. Supporters tend to talk about the congressman as a would-be educator-in-chief. “Without him I don’t think that we would know so much,”
Ron Paul and the youth vote: Why the candidate appeals to men under 30. - Slate Magazine

Old 01-18-2012, 02:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,583,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Please...... I can only say this is akin to any time, any poll is taken in NASCAR, Dale Jr wins hands down, no matter the question, unfortunately that never equates to performance on the track for Jr. Paul is never going to be President, and we all are just patiently waiting for the primary to be over so those legitimate "sane" supporters of his will get on board with the actual nominee while the rest continue down the track on the crazy train.
Status quo again? we reject that, let's vote for change for real this time and make Ron Paul a true historical President.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,212,053 times
Quote:
Unfortunately for Ron Paul, Twitter users don't vote in GOP primaries<snip>
What exactly does that have to do with the thread topic?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM

9,895 posts, read 10,840,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Status quo again? we reject that, let's vote for change for real this time and make Ron Paul a true historical President.
go for it.......... I am going to go ahead and live in reality............ I used to think that any of the GOP candidates would be better than obama, but after watching and listening to Paul in the debates I dont believe that anymore.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
go for it.......... I am going to go ahead and live in reality............ I used to think that any of the GOP candidates would be better than obama, but after watching and listening to Paul in the debates I dont believe that anymore....because style means alot more to me than substance, and he's not a very stylish guy. Besides, he's not a really good public speaker, and he really doesn't LOOK Presidential.
There, I finished it for you...

Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,494,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Just in-case no one has informed you yet: the United States of America are Not a loose confederation of States that only join together when they feel like it, we are ONE Nation.
To be fair, the state vs federal power issue was debated extensively before, during, and after the Constitutional Convention. The federalism question pitted the likes of Thomas Jefferson (strong state sovereignty advocate) against the likes of Alexander Hamilton (strong federalism advocate). The question applies to many aspects of the Constitution and judicial system. The debate over federal power touches upon such topics as taxation, the creation of the Federal Reserve, and the coining of US currency.

Over the past two centuries, federal power (and influence into state affairs) has grown enormously. This has occurred through federal legislation and a doctrine known as "preemption," whereby the federal government passes a law to either usurp or prevent state laws dealing with the same issue. However, the federal government's power could not have expanded in such leaps and bounds without the assistance of the US Supreme Court.

Article 1 of the Constitution includes what is known as the "Commerce Clause", which states that Congress has the power “to regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes.” The Supreme Court has interpreted this clause in such a way that effectively gives Congress wide latitude to regulate many, many types of local activity. See Wickard v. Filburn (1942).

Under this quite incredible interpretation of the Commerce Clause, Congress has been granted carte blanche authority to regulate all local activities that have even a trivial or insignificant connection to interstate commerce. Today, the Commerce Clause is used as the mechanism to support the Constitutionality of virtually all federal drug laws, firearm laws, economic regulations, and other federal laws that are not specifically enumerated to Congress in the Constitution.

There can be no question that this gross expansion of Congressional power was not intended or anticipated by the founding fathers, including Alexander Hamilton, who otherwise supported a strong central government. Let's not forget that the 10th Amendment to Constitution was added as a safeguard to protect state sovereignty. The 10th Amendment provides that any powers that are not enumerated in the Constitution are reserved for the states. Traditionally, those powers are summed up as the state's power to "protect the health, safety, and welfare of its citizens."

As one can see, the federal government's intrusion into state sovereignty is one that was not intended by Constitution, nor one that should be welcomed. If it were intended, then there would have been no need to maintain individual states, but rather simply unify as one nation under one set of laws. Each state has its own identity and should be allowed to determine such issues at the local level.

I believe this is Ron Paul's understanding of the Constitution, which I also view as legitimate and factual, and ultimately one of the many reasons I will vote for him to be elected President of the United States.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
To be fair, the state vs federal power issue was debated extensively before, during, and after the Constitutional Convention. The federalism question pitted the likes of Thomas Jefferson (strong state sovereignty advocate) against the likes of Alexander Hamilton (strong federalism advocate). The question applies to many aspects of the Constitution and judicial system. The debate over federal power touches upon such topics as taxation, the creation of the Federal Reserve, and the coining of US currency.

Over the past two centuries, federal power (and influence into state affairs) has grown enormously. This has occurred through federal legislation and a doctrine known as "preemption," whereby the federal government passes a law to either usurp or prevent state laws dealing with the same issue. However, the federal government's power could not have expanded in such leaps and bounds without the assistance of the US Supreme Court.

Article 1 of the Constitution includes what is known as the "Commerce Clause", which states that Congress has the power “to regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes.” The Supreme Court has interpreted this clause in such a way that effectively gives Congress wide latitude to regulate many, many types of local activity. See Wickard v. Filburn (1942).

Under this quite incredible interpretation of the Commerce Clause, Congress has been granted carte blanche authority to regulate all local activities that have even a trivial or insignificant connection to interstate commerce. Today, the Commerce Clause is used as the mechanism to support the Constitutionality of virtually all federal drug laws, firearm laws, economic regulations, and other federal laws that are not specifically enumerated to Congress in the Constitution.

There can be no question that this gross expansion of Congressional power was not intended or anticipated by the founding fathers, including Alexander Hamilton, who otherwise supported a strong central government. Let's not forget that the 10th Amendment to Constitution was added as a safeguard to protect state sovereignty. The 10th Amendment provides that any powers that are not enumerated in the Constitution are reserved for the states. Traditionally, those powers are summed up as the state's power to "protect the health, safety, and welfare of its citizens."

As one can see, the federal government's intrusion into state sovereignty is one that was not intended by Constitution, nor one that should be welcomed. If it were intended, then there would have been no need to maintain individual states, but rather simply unify as one nation under one set of laws. Each state has its own identity and should be allowed to determine such issues at the local level.

I believe this is Ron Paul's understanding of the Constitution, which I also view as legitimate and factual, and ultimately one of the many reasons I will vote for him to be elected President of the United States.
Couldn't rep you, but GREAT post!

Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,911,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Just in-case no one has informed you yet: the United States of America are Not a loose confederation of States that only join together when they feel like it, we are ONE Nation.
That is false. The United States is a federation. We are not a unitary system of government and were never meant to be. Fifty-seven states come together to form a nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections