Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 03:36 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Steve jobs, like Gates, Buffett and others want to restore the tax rates to the Clinton era plan as they have made their riches, and the right thing to do is to pay down the debt and allow others the opportunity to become as successful as they are.
The right wingers think those that are barely getting by, should pay more so multi-millionares like Romney can get more money, and the keep the middle class pinned down in their place, at the mercy of the rich.
I makes me wonder why those that are "just getting by" support those elites that want to destroy them
Romney's tax plan calls for lowering income taxes for the middle class and eliminating capital gains taxes for the middle class, while keeping capital gains taxes for those making over $200,000 per year the same. Romney wants the middle class to pay less than Obama wants the middle class to pay.

Warren Buffett has avoided paying tons in taxes. He is beyond hypocritical for his suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Mods - since the thread about what percentage of Romney's income goes to taxes and charity was merged into this one, wouldn't it be appropriate to add something about "charity" to the title?
All his tax information, including what he donated to charity is stated in the OP link.

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times
Quote:
Steve jobs, like Gates, Buffett and others want to restore the tax rates to the Clinton era plan as they have made their riches, and the right thing to do is to pay down the debt and allow others the opportunity to become as successful as they are.
The right wingers think those that are barely getting by, should pay more so multi-millionares like Romney can get more money, and the keep the middle class pinned down in their place, at the mercy of the rich.
I makes me wonder why those that are "just getting by" support those elites that want to destroy them

Oh Please! Bill Gates is a globalist shill. He wants to destroy the American middle class and could care less about this country. There is A CRAP LOAD of money to be made in emerging markets in Africa, India, China, South America. That is the entire point of gutting American prosperity. Once done, they move on to the next host. If Bill Gates cared about America and the middle class Microsoft janitors wouls be making $100K a year and their software engineers wouldn't be Indians making $30K a year.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
All his tax information, including what he donated to charity is stated in the OP link.
But the title is inflammatory. I don't think it should be biased either way.

I created another thread to discuss his charitable contributions. It's obvious that you created this one to talk about taxes.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The Republican spin machine gets cuter by the minute. The guy is what's wrong with American. He earns more money than just about about all of us and he pays less in taxes percentagewise than the rest of us.

So what if he donated to charity? If most of us earned that much money I daresay we wouldn't care all that much how much was left over either.
According to last year's report from the Internal Revenue Service, as a function of Adjusted Gross Income, 97 percent of 2009 filers paid less than 15 percent:

This first chart shows the breakdown of all 140 million filers in 2009 and what their percentage tax was by income:

Read more: Media Myth Debunked: 97 Percent of Americans Pay Less Tax Than Romney's 15 Percent | NewsBusters.org

Seems 97% of us do pay less then Romney, and most of those people have earned income, where as Romney's was from long term investment income.

So again, how high do we tax the profits of this risk taking investment income, before people decide it's no longer worth the risk?

Does it bother me a little, that some trust fund babies never need to work a day in their life, and simply live off their safe investment income? Yes it does, but i never see them, and don't know them. They fritter away their money, and it goes into the economy. What is the alternative, steal their money and watch the government, **** it away to enrich their cronies and then waste the rest of it on reelection schemes?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Were Romney's charitable contributions in the form of cash or
used underwear?
I'm sure cash to buy a boatload of magic underwear for the whole Mormon church

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Romney's tax plan calls for lowering income taxes for the middle class and eliminating capital gains taxes for the middle class, while keeping capital gains taxes for those making over $200,000 per year the same. Romney wants the middle class to pay less than Obama wants the middle class to pay.

Warren Buffett has avoided paying A LOT of taxes. He is beyond hypocritical for his suggestions.
Romney's plan is the same typical "trickle down" GOP plan. He wants to expand on Bush's horrifically failed plan by giving the middle class a small cut, while giving massive breaks to the top of the ladder. We need to go back to the Clinton era plan where the rich pay their fair share and the middle class is allowed to thrive, which was wildly successful, not more "give everything to the rich" GOP fiscal plans that have been proven time and time again to fail.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Were Romney's charitable contributions in the form of cash or
used underwear?
Most used underwear IMO has no value and I'd think the IRS would see it the same.

On the other hand, you may value other's used underwear!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Wasn't it the other R candidates who were pressing for tax disclosure?
I don't recall any D's asking ...
you actually have that one right. it was at least one of the republicans only party people demanding the taxes be released.

i think americans should take a second to look at the CBO report on taxes going forward. we are all going to be paying more-so you do you still all want the government to keep growing and keep sucking money from everyone?

Effective Federal Tax Rates Under Current Law, 2001 to 2014

this report breaks it down by taxes, category, percent, etc. -from 2001 onward.

one other point-what if, hypothetically, people who are actually paying taxes decided that they didn't like the way things were going here, and left the country to enjoy their retirement years in other countries. (kind of like clinton)? who would have to make up those taxes-or would you favor cutting government then if the burden falls on everyone else left?

people need to have some common sense.

you can't have more government than you can collect in taxes.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:06 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Most used underwear IMO has no value and I'd think the IRS would see it the same.

On the other hand, you may value other's used underwear!
Not me, but one of the most popular ex-presidents in recent history used to "donate" his used underwear and socks and write them off on his federal taxes. Clinton's old clothes used as tax write-off/Value of donated underwear inflated? 12/29/1993 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
The present president is making millions.

What is the president's tax rate? Also, how much is Obama sending to the Cayman Islands for a tax shelter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections