Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you do understand what insurance is

insurance is not care..never was

insurance is RISK ANALYSIS

your auto insurance will drop you like a smelly fish, if you have too many accidents or a dui

What I realize is that you could be the worst human imaginable but if you have millions of dollars you'll get all the medical care you want but you may be a good person of modest means but your life means $%^& because you don't have money with the system we have now.

Hospitals can't deny a emergency for those without insurance but they can refuse long term care or disease treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:57 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
There are times I agree with you on some subjects, yet if I don't on one particular I am labeled a liberal. This part of the problem with adressing issues, some seem there is only one side or the other. They won't see or listen to the other, and swear eveything on their side is the right way.

I am not for government take over, but since private companies will deny people at times there needs to be a alternative source for people to go to when need arises.

You can't just tell someone "go COBRA" when the premiums would double r triple. You can't tell someone "trust the freemarket" when it leaves people denied because a company doesn't want them.
there is an alternative

pay the doctor your self

why do we need some third party to pay our own bills???????

Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
There are times I agree with you on some subjects, yet if I don't on one particular I am labeled a liberal. This part of the problem with adressing issues, some seem there is only one side or the other. They won't see or listen to the other, and swear eveything on their side is the right way.

I am not for government take over, but since private companies will deny people at times there needs to be a alternative source for people to go to when need arises.

You can't just tell someone "go COBRA" when the premiums would double r triple. You can't tell someone "trust the freemarket" when it leaves people denied because a company doesn't want them.
Like I said, I don't disagree with you. Everyone should have access to insurance. We agree. But, to me, it comes down to priorities. It is up to the individual to arrange those priorities in a way that meets their needs. Here are a few examples:

1) You need shelter. Your mortgage/rent is your priority.
2) You need food/water. You buy food and pay the water bill.
3) You need transportation. You buy a vehicle you can afford, or use public transport.
4) You need health insurance. You make funds available to ensure you have it, no matter the cost.

I consider these requirements. Therefore my money goes to these requirements. Everything else is fluff that is not necessary to live in the United States.

I'm 100% confident that if I were to perform a cost/benefit analysis on every American, i'd find that most CAN afford health insurance.....they're just unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary to pay for it.

The ONLY caveat I subscribe to is that of the unemployed who don't have a source of income. Otherwise, health insurance is not out of reach. It comes down to priorities.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
there is an alternative

pay the doctor your self

My last Hospital stay was $7,000 a day with no surgery

Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
there is an alternative

pay the doctor your self

Sorry everybody for my mispells earlier, I am typing fast and in a hurry. In many cases it is fine to pay the doc as you go, but when we are talking about a major illness the costs could be beyond ability. It is just not feasible for most everyday people to have tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars available for medical bills.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
Exactly. When I left Miami I tried to submit for COBRA and the premium would have tripled because, PLUS they told me I was ineligable anyway because I left the tri-county area. So I did a shop for my own and was told denied, denied, denied over and over because of a history of skin cancer.

If COBRA meant keeping payments and coverage the same it would be ok, but they hammer you.
COBRA does keep the payements and coverage the same, they include the amount your employer pays in that payment, not just your share as an employee. And if they allowed insurances to sell across state lines, then you would have been able to keep that coverage. AND those boundaries being broken down would have allowed for a more competitive market which would have led to lower premiums and better benefits, like coverage for pre-esixting problems. BTW, you CAN get coverage even with pre-existing if you either pay a TON more (like we're all going to have to pay more to cover all the pre-existing illnesses now) or opt out of coverage for illnesses & doctor visits related to that condition. It's just not easy or cheap.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
there is an alternative

pay the doctor your self

That's what I do currently... pay cash. And most of the doctors that I have seen know where to send me for inexpensive labs and urgent care. I've gone to the ER before and it's rediculous to pay the prices they charge for things... and I still didn't get the care I needed.

Here in VEgas there's even a surgeon that ONLY takes cash patients. You may have to wait a little longer to pay for a surgery but it's still available to you.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
That's what I do currently... pay cash. And most of the doctors that I have seen know where to send me for inexpensive labs and urgent care. I've gone to the ER before and it's rediculous to pay the prices they charge for things... and I still didn't get the care I needed.

Here in VEgas there's even a surgeon that ONLY takes cash patients. You may have to wait a little longer to pay for a surgery but it's still available to you.
Well, that's rich! You have to wait longer to see a surgeon who only takes cash! What a deal!

I was in the hospital for three days in December for a hip replacement. The hospital charges alone were $76,000 dollars. Now I don't know about a lot of you advocating "pay cash", but I don't have that kind of $ just lying around the house.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:

If you want to pay cash for everything, the USA should be the last country you should be in.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
COBRA does keep the payements and coverage the same, .

Well then blue cross told me different when I tried to COBRA, maybe on purpose, because when I tried to COBRA I was quoted rates higher than when I was with the company AND they told be I was ineligable anyway since I left the tri-county area. That was in 2007.

Maybe because that included my employers share but that still makes it beyond affordable for many in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections