Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 02:32 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times

Advertisements

The last few polls by Rasmussen, WSJ and PPP show Obama pulling ahead of Romney. Rasmussen is particularly interesting because of that poll's strong Republican bias.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 02:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
basically meaningless Romney is in an intense primary battle with debates virtually every week.......Obama gets to float around , unchallenged with the benefit of free positive press from the msm.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:46 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
People always say Rasmussen has a "strong Republican bias," but Rasmussen and PPP predicted the 2008 election better than any of the others.

Anyway, I think Obama received a boost because of Newt's attacks on Romney and, in the Rasmussen poll (it was conducted from Thursday through yesterday), because of his State of the Union address. Remember also that Obama has recently started campaigning and Romney hasn't started his general election campaign yet.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-28-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
In all fairness, polls at this point have very little to do with what happens in November.

One gaff at a political debate, a minor scandal, an unfortunate off-the-cuff remark can hurt a candidate's poll numbers.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
People always say Rasmussen has a "strong Republican bias," but Rasmussen and PPP predicted the 2008 election better than any of the others.

Anyway, I think Obama received a boost because of Newt's attacks on Romney and, in the Rasmussen poll (it was conducted from Thursday through yesterday), because of his State of the Union address. Remember also that Obama has recently started campaigning and Romney hasn't started his general election campaign yet.
Actually Survey USA predicted 2008 the best. Rasmussen was one of the worse with an average error of nearly 3 points in the BG states according to the WSJ. Rasmussen had McCain winning in Florida, Indiana, and North Carolina.

As to your second point I have to disagree. All throughout the primary Republicans have been piling on Obama and he has not really had any chance to respond. The only time we have heard from him recently was the State of the Union. Furthermore I think any attacks Newt can do, in part because of his limited resources and in part because the party elders will remonstrate him if he goes to far, will be very weak in comparison to what Obama can do with his massive amount of money and support. I think people are realizing Romney is the John Kerry of 2012.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Actually Survey USA predicted 2008 the best. Rasmussen was one of the worse with an average error of nearly 3 points in the BG states according to the WSJ.
http://www.fordham.edu/images/academ...20election.pdf

Actually, Pew Research Center was the other most accurate, NOT PPP - according to this list. It doesn't appear that SUSA was ranked (nor does it appear that PPP was ranked).

Quote:
As to your second point I have to disagree. All throughout the primary Republicans have been piling on Obama and he has not really had any chance to respond. Furthermore I think any attacks Newt can do, in part because of his limited resources and in part because the party elders will remonstrate him if he goes to far, will be very weak in comparison to what Obama can do.
Newt has already gone pretty far with his attacks on Bain. Newt seems to only care about Newt, not about the party.

I agree that Obama can do a lot more than Newt, but Romney can also run attack ads against Obama. Yes, Obama has a lot more campaign funds than Romney, but Romney has more of his own money to use and his campaign will likely raise a lot more money (though likely not as much as the Obama campaign has/will have) once it's certain that he'll be the nominee. More importantly is what the Super PACs can do. Everything I've read seems to indicate the general consensus is that the Super PACs will benefit Romney more than Obama.

I think the main reason actually for Obama's boost is the lower unemployment rate.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I think people are realizing Romney is the John Kerry of 2012.
I agree that Romney is in many ways the Kerry of 2012. It's important to remember, however, that Kerry absolutely had a chance in the election in 2004. Bush didn't win by a landslide by any means.

Remember, at this point in 2004, Bush's approval rating was higher than Obama's is at this point in 2012 (though we obviously don't know what his approval rating will be several months from now).

Also, the economy was doing much better in 2004 than it is now. Even though it was partially because of a bubble, people didn't realize it at the time.

Also, many people voted for Bush only because they thought he was the "safer choice" when it came to defense, even if they didn't like that we had gone into Iraq.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Obama is a shoe-in unless something drastically changes between now and election day. People aren't happy with Obama and the economy isn't getting better, but its stabilized and people just don't like the current choices they have for a Republican alternative. Obama has young people, gays, Lationos, and African Americans locked in. The only way he can lose is if working-class middle aged people overwhelmingly support the Republican alternative. If there is a drastic deterioration of economic conditions between now and election day, things could change fast. Here is my prediction as to how this will play out.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:27 PM

Bchris, I don't think there's really any chance that Obama will win Georgia, Arizona, or Kentucky or any electoral votes in Nebraska and I think it's very unlikely that he'll win Missouri.

I've played around with the map on 270towin.com myself (that's the site you used, right?). It's definitely fun to come up with different possible outcomes - isn't it?

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-28-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
http://www.fordham.edu/images/academ...20election.pdf

Actually, Pew Research Center was the other most accurate, NOT PPP - according to this list. It doesn't appear that SUSA was ranked (nor does it appear that PPP was ranked).
Ah that, that basically took the last poll released. The reason SUSA and PPP were not ranked way because that study only looked at one poll in a very short time period. You will also note that that does not rank RCP predictions, though not technically a poll but rather a basket of polls, likely for that reason that it could not fit with there method. Basically Rasmussen got lucky in one November poll and that is what they are basing all Rasmussen poll's accuracy off of as opposed to how Rasmussen polls performed overall which is what WSJ did.

Quote:
Newt has already gone pretty far with his attacks on Bain. Newt seems to only care about Newt, not about the party.

I agree that Obama can do a lot more than Newt, but Romney can also run attack ads against Obama. Yes, Obama has a lot more campaign funds than Romney, but Romney has more of his own money to use and his campaign will likely raise a lot more money (though likely not as much as the Obama campaign has/will have) once it's certain that he'll be the nominee. More importantly is what the Super PACs can do. Everything I've read seems to indicate the general consensus is that the Super PACs will benefit Romney more than Obama.

I think the main reason actually for Obama's boost is the lower unemployment rate.
Newt was forced to pull ads by Rubio in Florida. Bain was seen as fair game the Romney is anti-immigrant wasn't Obama will not have those restrictions. Furthermore Romney is running lots of attack ads against Newt and because Newt doesn't have money. If Romney tries attack ads against Obama, Obama's hundreds of millions if not a billion in hard money, plus the DNC will hit him back and hard in a way Newt cannot.

I think higher employment will be helpful, but I think the main reason for Obama will probably be that Romney is just that bad as a candidate coupled with the fact that evangelical conservatives who are the bulk of the GOP base will be highly unmotivated this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections