Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
People have a right to work in their chosen field without being forced to violate their conscience. Sometimes we even allow people to opt out of military service if their religion frowns on war.

See how that works?

We actually give rights to minority groups.

...just not any minority groups liberals care about.
Religion is a choice. Minority groups that we give rights to are generally not given a choice in their minority. Homosexuality aside, which minority group do you think was given a choice in their minority?

The United States is forbidden by law in respecting any establishment of religion. Thus, your religion is a non issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
I am Catholic and I support this. The Catholic higher ups are still living in the 19th century, its time to join the 21st century. By the way, many Catholics have sex outside of marriage and I know of many Catholic women who use birth control, so I am sure they are please with this.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-05-2012 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: discuss TOPICS not other posters

Old 02-05-2012, 12:30 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And this is a complicated matter. As you have said.

Should a private institution be forced to spend money on things that they don't want to spend money on? In this case the catholic church on insurance that provides a contraception option.

Or, should the federal government be allowed to mandate that every business in the country must provide services, regardless of their opposition to them?

Most Americans think that mandated handicapped parking, mandated handicapped bathrooms, and discrimination based on skin color should be mandated for every business in the country.

But you can't have it that way, and then say that the catholic churches public facilities should be exempt because of their religious views.

I think this is where the OP is confused.

I'm a conservative, to the point of being a libertarian on many issues. I personally don't feel that private business and private land owners should be mandated by the federal government to have to do something they don't want to do. After all, its their property.

But, as I said, most Americans disagree with my position. I try and reason with people, I vote to change the laws as I see fit.

But it is not a war on religion.
That's a better way to put it, but I still don't think it is right. I don't care what background people come from or their political leanings, unless it involves derangement, I care about what the support for their argument is first.

No one wants to be mandated what to do, but it is the responsible option. Businesses didn't want any responsibility mandated...pollution, worker safety, food safety, water safety, and the list goes on. It doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done. That is why I dislike Libertarianism, it is personal freedom without personal or group responsibility. All other employers must comply with the regulations, they must as well even if simply due to the requirement that laws must apply equally, let alone service to those who don't hold the same moral code.

They are given the right to do business here, with the stipulation that it must be done responsibly within the legal framework.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I am Catholic and I support this. The Catholic higher ups are still living in the 19th century, its time to join the 21st century. By the way, many Catholics have sex outside of marriage and I know of many Catholic women who use birth control, so I am sure they are please with this.

[MOD CUT]
To be fair, my significant other is a catholic also. When I alerted her to Newts argument her words were,

"Doesn't he know that most of the priests in the United States will tell people to use birth control? Otherwise no one would come to their services."

This is a fake debate, made by people who want to make the President appear non christian. It has nothing to do with religion, these are public institutions, and Americans as a whole have said that the federal government should have the right to dictate things to public institutions, and private.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-05-2012 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
That's a better way to put it, but I still don't think it is right. I don't care what background people come from or their political leanings, unless it involves derangement, I care about what the support for their argument is first.

No one wants to be mandated what to do, but it is the responsible option. Businesses didn't want any responsibility mandated...pollution, worker safety, food safety, water safety, and the list goes on. It doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done. That is why I dislike Libertarianism, it is personal freedom without personal or group responsibility. All other employers must comply with the regulations, they must as well even if simply due to the requirement that laws must apply equally, let alone service to those who don't hold the same moral code.

They are given the right to do business here, with the stipulation that it must be done responsibly within the legal framework.
And on this we can have a logical debate. I'd be happy to debate it with you in another thread (this one would be off topic).

The OP is trying to say that the President has declared a holy war against religion. And the fact remains, thats just wrong.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
People have a right to work in their chosen field without being forced to violate their conscience. Sometimes we even allow people to opt out of military service if their religion frowns on war.

See how that works?

We actually give rights to minority groups.

...just not any minority groups liberals care about.
Isn't the military service optional in the US? So someone whose religion is against war (except for Jainism I don't know of any religion where such a position has prevented war of one kind or another) should not enter the military in the first place.

Anyway, the president has to do what he thinks is right, not what secures him votes...

Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
CATHOLIC hospitals and schools. See, I know you agree with obama on just about everything, but HE doesn't get to dictate to religious entities......that happens to be in our founding documents, something obama and his supporters could care less about.

He just recently got smacked down by SCOTUS.....they will do the same here.
[MOD CUT/off topic]

Furthermore, let's say I was a woman who worked as a nurse for a Catholic Hospital in New York. I'm not Catholic, but I do work at a Catholic hospital because of a number of factors (maybe pay, expertise, convenient locale, etc...) and, yet, my health insurance through the hospital won't cover birth control because of some stupid ancient mythological belief that my employer has?

That's ridiculous and it forces me to recognize my employer's belief as one that can control my well-being and my health. I refuse to think that some quacky, stupid religious belief is going to dictate how and what I am insured for.

Although an entity like a hospital may be run by a religious organization, it requires enough specialties (doctors, nurses, etc...) that they may have to draw from a pool of people from outside their faith. Thus, it is obvious that people working at these institutions may not all be of the same faith but that gives the employer no right to determine, by their faith, what they will or won't cover in regards to my personal health.

Make no mistake... There were exceptions to the rule. Those who work as or directly for clergy members or with direct involvement with the church (say I'm an accountant cooking the books for my local fundamentalist preacher) may not have their birth control covered.

So, really, what this does is limit the power of a religious organization to discriminate against employees of a certain operation who don't believe in the same hocus-pocus nonsense as their employer. I don't go to my office expecting my CEO to send me his thoughts or religious beliefs and there's no reason a person's life should be directly influenced by his or her employer's religious beliefs.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-05-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
To be fair, my significant other is a catholic also. When I alerted her to Newts argument her words were,

"Doesn't he know that most of the priests in the United States will tell people to use birth control? Otherwise no one would come to their services."

This is a fake debate, made by people who want to make the President appear non christian. It has nothing to do with religion, these are public institutions, and Americans as a whole have said that the federal government should have the right to dictate things to public institutions, and private.
Exactly. I live and grew up in a heavily Italian-Catholic area. No one cares about this issue, the vast majority strongly disagree with the church's position on birth control. Fact of the matter is the only ones who would vote on this issue, are already voting Republican on abortion and gays.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
CATHOLIC hospitals and schools. See, I know you agree with obama on just about everything, but HE doesn't get to dictate to religious entities......that happens to be in our founding documents, something obama and his supporters could care less about.

He just recently got smacked down by SCOTUS.....they will do the same here.
Oh so easily manipulated.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 PM

32,073 posts, read 15,062,274 times
This won't cost Obama any votes because these people wouldn't have voted for him in the first place. But birth control is pretty common among Catholics. We grew up very poor and being Catholic my mom was not on any birth control. So after 5 kids that my parents couldn't afford our priest begged her to take birth control. When you can't afford to take care of all your kids why keep having them. So she went on the pill after that talk with priest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections