Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,396,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Damn I wish the mods hadn't buried my link about this subject almost before I posted it. You are talking crap and lots of it. Have you ever heard of Bishop Thomas Olmsted? No, well you don't read links very often anyway so I will allow you go on unlearned.
I read your link Roy, and I would hope that you would never want a granddaughter of yours to be treated in any Catholic hospital under his duristriction.

Imagine if she were pregnant and had a life-threatening condition but they refused to perform an abortion which would save her life... and she died. Would you still be singing the praises of this mysogynistic ignoramus called Olmsted?

Last edited by Ceist; 02-07-2012 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
Still waiting for the Romney putting forward the same set up when he was governor.

And I understand the states rights issue, that is a valid argument and can be debated.

But that isn't a war on religion, now is it? The Catholic church doesn't care if its a state, city, or a country. They don't want to have to do this. And if its a war on religion for the federal government to do this, then it sure was when a state did it.

Romney said it was a "good idea" for hospitals to follow this rule when he was governor. Slightly different take yesterday. He invoked God, saying that it was an attack on morals. He wasn't attacking God and morals when he forced Massachusetts Catholic hospitals to provide birth control to their employees.

This is why conservatives don't want Romney, and its why Romney will lose the election.

If its a war on religion for Obama to do this, then Romney declared the same war a decade ago.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,343,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Still waiting for the Romney putting forward the same set up when he was governor.

And I understand the states rights issue, that is a valid argument and can be debated.

But that isn't a war on religion, now is it? The Catholic church doesn't care if its a state, city, or a country. They don't want to have to do this. And if its a war on religion for the federal government to do this, then it sure was when a state did it.

Romney said it was a "good idea" for hospitals to follow this rule when he was governor. Slightly different take yesterday. He invoked God, saying that it was an attack on morals. He wasn't attacking God and morals when he forced Massachusetts Catholic hospitals to provide birth control to their employees.

This is why conservatives don't want Romney, and its why Romney will lose the election.

If its a war on religion for Obama to do this, then Romney declared the same war a decade ago.
Another good post and I can't rep. So, +1

Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,839,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Obama can always flip or flop from this mistake he has made, though.
He has a long way to go before getting anywhere close to Romney and his supporters.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,195,778 times
America's closed-minded religious fanatics are just as obnoxious as the Taliban.
There is no war on religion.
Intolerance, bigotry, and hatred are not good things, and you are not entitled, by divine right, to control this country.
Somebody should invent a time machine so that America's religious right could be shipped back to 14th Century Europe, where they belong.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:59 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Anyway, about those votes:

"
A majority of Catholics believe their employers should be required to provide coverage for contraception and birth control, according to a poll released Tuesday from the nonprofit research organization the Public Religion Research Institute.
The poll found that a solid majority of Catholics, 58 percent, say contraception and birth control should be a required, no-cost benefit under their company's healthcare plan.
"

The Maddow Blog - Broad support for contraception coverage

Old 02-07-2012, 03:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,033,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Anyway, about those votes:

"
A majority of Catholics believe their employers should be required to provide coverage for contraception and birth control, according to a poll released Tuesday from the nonprofit research organization the Public Religion Research Institute.
The poll found that a solid majority of Catholics, 58 percent, say contraception and birth control should be a required, no-cost benefit under their company's healthcare plan.
"

The Maddow Blog - Broad support for contraception coverage
Personally, I think the Catholic Church's view on birth control is outdated, but that is and has been a tenet in that particular religion for some time. Doesn't matter if people agree with it or not, the Constitution protects their freedom to practice and this is part of the practice of their religion. The government, via the HHS mandate resulting from Obamacare, is indeed insisting a religion not practice freely by creating this birth control mandate. This will lose if it goes to the courts. In addition, this is something that will hurt Obama in the election.

As an aside, I heard Axelrod trying to walk this back on the news. Saying they might look a special kind of waiver.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,521 times
Religious freedom, like personal freedom, ends where someone else's freedom begins. Contraception is a public health issue, and everyone should have access.

What if some church said it was against providing critical vaccines to children, because it's magic book said so? And then a bunch of kids died. Was it worth the religious freedom to do that, when common sense said this is a bad idea? Please, churchies, worship however you want. But if you are providing health care, please do it right, for your employees sake.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times
Been gone for most of the day...I see the issue has backfired brilliantly on obama and his minions.

When you've lost Tingles Matthews;

Even Chris Matthews Sees Danger for Obama after 'Frightening' Birth Control Decision | NewsBusters.org

and EJ Dionne, a uber obama derriere licker and the news is the WH is desperate to make a "deal"... I'd say they miscalculated.

Obama advisers seek compromise on contraception rule - The Washington Post

Obama advisers seek compromise on contraception rule

Code for "cave" I think.

Of course, having an obama appointee try and shut down the reading of the Bishop's letter on military bases around the world probably didn't sit right with a few folks either.

Quote:
The efforts followed mounting criticism from Catholics and other faith leaders that a new rule requiring certain religious institutions to cover contraception as part of their employee health plans violates their constitutional rights.

And they came as White House officials began hearing complaints from some of their own allies and advisers, who view the rule as a policy mistake that feeds what they see as an unfair charge from Republicans: that President Obama is anti-religion.
We've known this for a while.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/white-house-open-compromise-over-contraception-adviser-152243708.html (broken link)

Quote:
The Obama administration is willing to work with Catholic universities, hospitals and other church-affiliated employers to implement a new policy that requires health insurers to offer birth control coverage, a top adviser to the president's re-election campaign said on Tuesday.

David Axelrod, a senior campaign adviser to President Barack Obama, said the administration had heard the Church's concerns and never intended to "abridge anyone's religious freedom."
BS...TOO LATE idjit.

I guess the thought of the Catholic church engaging obama in his war on religion has him a bit skeered. 70 million Catholics.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Been gone for most of the day...I see the issue has backfired brilliantly on obama and his minions.

When you've lost Tingles Matthews;

Even Chris Matthews Sees Danger for Obama after 'Frightening' Birth Control Decision | NewsBusters.org

and EJ Dionne, a uber obama derriere licker and the news is the WH is desperate to make a "deal"... I'd say they miscalculated.

Obama advisers seek compromise on contraception rule - The Washington Post

Obama advisers seek compromise on contraception rule

Code for "cave" I think.

Of course, having an obama appointee try and shut down the reading of the Bishop's letter on military bases around the world probably didn't sit right with a few folks either.

We've known this for a while.

White House defends contraception rules as criticisms mount - Yahoo! News (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/white-house-open-compromise-over-contraception-adviser-152243708.html - broken link)

BS...TOO LATE idjit.

I guess the thought of the Catholic church engaging obama in his war on religion has him a bit skeered. 70 million Catholics.
You continue to ignore and not comment on Romney doing the exact same damned thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections