Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,735,431 times

Advertisements

It appears that Rev. Franklin Graham is the arbiter of who can be considered Christian and who cannot, according to a recent interview: Rev. Franklin Graham Questions Obama’s, Romney’s Christian Faith - Washington Wire - WSJ

Even though he met with President Obama, who discussed his Christian faith, the good Reverend has "no idea what he really believes," but could be a "son of Islam."

When asked about Mitt Romney, Graham said "He’s a Mormon. Most Christians would not recognize Mormonism as part of the Christian faith."

But Rick Santorum's Christianity must be intuitively obvious because there is "no question about it … I think he is, no question, a man of faith."

So is Franklin Graham:

A) Applying a double-standard.

B) Prejudiced against anyone who doesn't subscribe to his particular narrow interpretation of Christianity

C) Hypocritical

D) All of the Above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,833,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
It appears that Rev. Franklin Graham is the arbiter of who can be considered Christian and who cannot, according to a recent interview: Rev. Franklin Graham Questions Obama’s, Romney’s Christian Faith - Washington Wire - WSJ

Even though he met with President Obama, who discussed his Christian faith, the good Reverend has "no idea what he really believes," but could be a "son of Islam."

When asked about Mitt Romney, Graham said "He’s a Mormon. Most Christians would not recognize Mormonism as part of the Christian faith."
But Rick Santorum's Christianity must be intuitively obvious because there is "no question about it … I think he is, no question, a man of faith."

So is Franklin Graham:

A) Applying a double-standard.

B) Prejudiced against anyone who doesn't subscribe to his particular narrow interpretation of Christianity

C) Hypocritical

D) All of the Above
hows about none of the above........... Did Graham, in fact say he does not believe Romney is a Christian, get real , much ado about nothing.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:01 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,265,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
hows about none of the above........... Did Graham, in fact say he does not believe Romney is a Christian, get real , much ado about nothing.
He would not answer the question directly about whether or not he thinks Romney is a christian.

And he will believe a serial cheater who "claims" to be a christian (Newt) but won't acknowledge the fact that President Obama has often and openly discussed his christian faith.

This charlatan is just another one trying to ride on the coattails of his father, much like Romney and Dubya. He has no class or legitimacy of his own.

The bottom line is that President Obama's faith (or lack of, if that were the case, which it isn't) shouldn't even be an issue. What happened to freedom of religion?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,036 times
I am pretty sure that Franklin Graham was misrepresented in this article and did not say who was or wasn't a Christian. He would not do that and I have heard him say he would have no problem voting for Mitt Romney and does not have an issue wiith his being LDS.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
He would not answer the question directly about whether or not he thinks Romney is a christian.

And he will believe a serial cheater who "claims" to be a christian (Newt) but won't acknowledge the fact that President Obama has often and openly discussed his christian faith.

This charlatan is just another one trying to ride on the coattails of his father, much like Romney and Dubya. He has no class or legitimacy of his own.

The bottom line is that President Obama's faith (or lack of, if that were the case, which it isn't) shouldn't even be an issue. What happened to freedom of religion?
Yeah.........Franklin Graham is a charlatan........and you are an obama believer. nuff said.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am pretty sure that Franklin Graham was misrepresented in this article and did not say who was or wasn't a Christian. He would not do that and I have heard him say he would have no problem voting for Mitt Romney and does not have an issue wiith his being LDS.
Exactly , just as I said just another example of the media and the left trying to inflame the anti religous bigots.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 PM

82 posts, read 128,496 times
Rev. Franklin Graham can go to hell for all I care.

2,003 posts, read 1,170,176 times
Quote:
Actually I saw him being interviewed today, and thats exactly what he said. He said that Romney is not considered a Christian, nor was Obama. The man does a disservice to his fathers name..He takes everyone at their words that they are , except Romney and Obama...

10,942 posts, read 10,265,406 times
Quote:
Did you watch the interview on Morning Joe????

He was very evasive about whether or not he thinks mormonism (as he called it) is "christian." He did say that "most" christians would not recognize "mormonism" as part of the christian faith.

He said it. If you think he's been misrepresented in the article, then I suggest you watch the interview in its entirety. You can find it here:

Morning Joe

Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,735,431 times
I heard excerpts on the radio and then read the article. Maybe I didn't get the full story. I just get so tired of ultra-right Evangelicals hijacking the republican party. Maybe Reverend Graham not one of those, and maybe he's not so extreme as some. Maybe I'm hypersensitive.

I will say at least he didn't tell people not to vote for Obama or Romney. At the same time, why is it Evangelicals can't take people at their word and accept that if people claim a belief in Christ they are Christian, even if they disagree on some doctrine? At the very least, there is a figurative asterisk next to those who don't fully qualify in their view. At the very most, there is outright disdain and prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections