Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:43 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
All good points.

You forgot to mention that the Obama adminstration's policy of driving up gas prices as far as possible is working. Once it hits $5/gallon, Oblama is done.

What is the rationale for Obama (or anybody else for that matter) doing that?

Why would he do something that would hurt his approval ratings?

Is Obama an "oilman" who stands to make a lot of money from higher gas prices?

Please explain. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The truly frustrating thing about all of this has been battling those in our own party who fell for the pushing of the 'anybody but Romney' candidates by the left and the media....one after another over and over. I really didn't know so many people could be so easily fooled.

The left and the media?

You must be kidding me. The GOP's "Evangelical base" does not like "non-Christians" and regardless whether it's right or wrong, too many of them do not consider Mormonism a "Christian" religion. Many of their pastors say that all the time.

In a way, I think it's Karma rearing its often hilarious face: playing on people's ignorance and bigotries is OK when talking about policies or a candidate's skin color, but it hurts when you're trying to push a candidate who isn't an Evangelical Christian.

"The race card" now has a companion: "the Mormon card". Come November a lot of these Southern Evangelicals will have to decide whom do they hate most: the black man or the white, but flip-flopping Mormon.

Well, that's what happens when you deal with bigots: it's easy to manipulate them when you play on their ignorance and fears.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
It is all over except for cleaning up the WH.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
but.. the election isn't Today, if we where predicting then 2008 race this far out, and it would be Mc'cain Vs Hilliary Clinton, and it would have been a sweaker, Clinton didnt win the nomination it was a decent margin in Obamas favor

Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
One clear fact: the GOP base is voting, and against Romney. There's no disputing that he's not the preferred candidate. He'll be the weakest against Obama. Santorum is the President's toughest opponent. None of the four can beat Obama, unless unforseen circumstances develop. And it's a long way until election day. Anything can happen.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
One clear fact: the GOP base is voting, and against Romney.
There may be some truth to that statement but it's extremely overplayed. Here are the facts:
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - Republican Vote Count
2012 Republican Primary Popular Vote So Far:
1.) Romney - 3,477,020
2.) Santorum - 2,286,339
3.) Gingrich - 2,106,200
4.) Paul - 949,914

Quote:
There's no disputing that he's not the preferred candidate.
"Not preferred" as opposed to which of the above (all of whom trail Willard by at least 1.2 million votes.)

Quote:
He'll be the weakest against Obama.
As opposed to whom? A religious fanatic on a crusade or a serial adulterer? Which of these two choices is going to beat Romney in the Independent vote? (Independent = almost 50% of the nation, you win or lose by how well you do with Independents. What we are seeing right now is a very vocal minority within the GOP that is throwing a fit because they want a super-duper-uber Conservative and Romney just ain't crazy enough to be that guy for them.

Let's be clear on how tiny that group of people really is: 27% of Americans identify themselves as Republicans. About half of those are Conservative Republicans. Half of the Conservatives are the Tea Party inspired super-Conservatives that are driving the whole Not-Romney crap. So at most, that's 8% of the American population. It won't really matter what they do now and they are too few in number to have any right to make demands. The only question is, will they vote against Obama in November or won't they?

Quote:
Santorum is the President's toughest opponent.
FROTHY??? REALLY??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I think he would love nothing better than to punish anyone guilty of premarital sex with sterilization and homosexuals will be put to death of course. Six month prison terms for any instance of sexual intercourse that was not done with the intent of having a baby and the War on Drugs would need to take on a new challenge: The illegal birth control pill, condom, diaphram and birth control contraband market.

Quote:
None of the four can beat Obama, unless unforseen circumstances develop. And it's a long way until election day. Anything can happen.
I still believe that Ron Paul has the best shot at beating Obama. He offers a clear contrast with the president on issues that Americans really care about. Americans do not want to invade Syria. They do not want to invade Iran. They've seen how incredibly unhelpful a bloated oversized government is, and I think they're ready to give the "less is more" theory a try.

But Romney is way more electable than Santorum and Gingrich. For Gingrich we'd see an entire campaign season speculating about his next mistress, calling his current wife "the Third Lady" and so forth. He'd never live it down long enough for any discussion of the issues to actually matter. Santorum's extremely awful statements would kill him dead. He actually means every word of it! That's just scary. If you think Romney is the least electable you're crazy. He's moderate enough to actually win some of the Independent vote.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:24 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Oh, I'm worried alright. I'm worried because I don't trust the American voter. Any nation that votes to re-elect George W. Bush rightly gives me reason to worry.

I still think the Republicans would need a miracle to win. The only way I see Obama losing the war is if Iran shuts down the strait of Hormuz or if there's so much saber rattling over the summer that the price of gas goes to insane levels overnight. That's their only card. That's why the Republitards are doing all they can to goad the president into making a dumb decision with regard to his handling of this crisis. The Republitards want a war; they need a war. They need America to fail. They are the party that rewards failure. In fact, the bigger the failure, the more colossal the failure, the bigger the reward as far as they're concerned -- 'tis true on everything from banks to military contractors. Republitard = republifail.

Obama's a weak president, politically speaking. If the republicans had just spent a little time getting their act together and uniting behind a single candidate and a single prominent message, who knows where they'd be right now. Obama might not have even decided to run for re-election. But the republicans are just bitterly divided right now. They're like the American equivalent of Hamas and Fatah.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Well, clearly a 1/3 of AL ad MS supported Romney when given three other alternatives. They are two of the most 'Bible Belt' states in the country. When it's a choice of Obama and Romney...they are not going to vote for Obama.

You can't choose nominee based on what the deep south prefers only.
I heard Rush a lil today. Did you hear him say that there are 45,000 elitest, Republican Southern aristocrats in North Carolina that the fate of the election hinges on for Romney to win...if he's the GOP nomineee. Did you, or anyone else hear Limbaugh talking about that today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections