Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Obama camp: If election were today, Mitt would win | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

Wow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:47 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
You left out:

""Friend," Obama campaign manager Jim Messina wrote today, "If the general election were held today, President Obama would lose to Mitt Romney -- according to the latest poll from Washington Post-ABC News. Now, many other polls put the President on top, but all point to the same reality: We're looking at a race that will be tighter than you think," Messina warned.

Obama's Messina added that "we must not overreact to any one poll. But this one is a reminder that we have to remain vigilant -- always focused on November 6th and the work we have to do to win."

It's a funding raising technique (ie "let's not be overconfident - we still need your donations").

What's your point?

Ken

Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
They are worried and getting more worried all along. There main idea was to derail Romney for the nomination and they darn near pulled it off with the help of some very dense Republicans. Now, they can see the delegate count and understand that unless something really unpredictable occurs, it will be Mitt Romney and they did not want to go there.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:19 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
They are worried and getting more worried all along. There main idea was to derail Romney for the nomination and they darn near pulled it off with the help of some very dense Republicans. Now, they can see the delegate count and understand that unless something really unpredictable occurs, it will be Mitt Romney and they did not want to go there.
Honestly not trying to provoke anyone....but I don't see how you can be so sure that Romney is absolutely headed toward locking up the nomination??

After Al n Miss primaries proving tons of GOP Conservative types are NOT exactly sure of or Thrilled with Mitt. Gingrich and Santorum are wacking away at Mitt...and certainly seems it is had a big impact on MR.

I'm no political expert...but I sure can foresee still BIG hurdles ahead for Romney.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Honestly not trying to provoke anyone....but I don't see how you can be so sure that Romney is absolutely headed toward locking up the nomination??

After Al n Miss primaries proving tons of GOP Conservative types are NOT exactly sure of or Thrilled with Mitt. Gingrich and Santorum are wacking away at Mitt...and certainly seems it is had a big impact on MR.

I'm no political expert...but I sure can foresee still BIG hurdles ahead for Romney.

Have you looked at the schedule and the delegates in each state and sat down and added them up? There's all kinds of room for Romney to get the magic number, even if he doesn't win some of the states we think he will. He is almost halfway there already.

Santorum still needs 908 delegates and there are only 1289 left to be awarded. That would mean that Santorum would need to win 70% of the remaining delegates and let's remember that this includes states like California, New York, New Jersey, Utah, Maryland, Oregan, Delaware...not exactly Santorum type states.

I am not saying it isn't possible, but it is not looking likely considering the what's left and how much they have to catch up and remember that many of these are proportional and the ones that are winner take all favor Romney.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Have you looked at the schedule and the delegates in each state and sat down and added them up? There's all kinds of room for Romney to get the magic number, even if he doesn't win some of the states we think he will. He is almost halfway there already.

Santorum still needs 908 delegates and there are only 1289 left to be awarded. That would mean that Santorum would need to win 70% of the remaining delegates and let's remember that this includes states like California, New York, New Jersey, Utah, Maryland, Oregan, Delaware...not exactly Santorum type states.

I am not saying it isn't possible, but it is not looking likely considering the what's left and how much they have to catch up and remember that many of these are proportional and the ones that are winner take all favor Romney.
Haven't the time, now...to elaborate...but I talked to a Big Alabama 'finger on the political pulse' Republican the day after Romney finished 3rd...behind both Santorum and Gingrich in both Alabama and Mississippi.

He firmly told me, Quote ''The bulk of Southern ''Bible Belt'' voters will never support a Mormon.''

I, like you, had not considered that aspect regarding Romney...to be that harmful, lately. According to this knowledgeable Alabama political sage...it is.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Haven't the time, now...to elaborate...but I talked to a Big Alabama 'finger on the political pulse' Republican the day after Romney finished 3rd...behind both Santorum and Gingrich in both Alabama and Mississippi.
Romney did MUCH better than anyone thought he would do in AL and MS. He may have technically finished third in both states, but he only got about 2% less of the vote than Santorum and only 0.6% less of the vote than Newt in MS. In MS, in terms of delegates, Romney got an equal number of delegates as Newt and only one less than Santorum.

In AL, he only finished 5.5% behind Santorum and only 0.3% behind Newt.

Quote:
He firmly told me, Quote ''The bulk of Southern ''Bible Belt'' voters will never support a Mormon.''

I, like you, had not considered that aspect regarding Romney...to be that harmful, lately. According to this knowledgeable Alabama political sage...it is.
It won't be a problem in the general election.

Romney

Quote:
Fully 91% of white evangelical Republican voters say they would back Romney over Obama in a general election matchup, and 79% would support Romney strongly. Overall, white evangelicals would be among the strongest Romney supporters if he is the GOP nominee challenging Obama next fall.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-16-2012 at 11:41 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 11:33 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Romney did MUCH better than anyone thought he would do in AL and MS.
I dunno man there were some threads oohing and ahhing that he had pulled ahead in those states a few days before the voting. Expectations definitely ratcheted up a few notches.

That said, he wins the day with a tie, so he won anyway.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I dunno man there were some threads oohing and ahhing that he had pulled ahead in those states a few days before the voting. Expectations definitely ratcheted up a few notches.

That said, he wins the day with a tie, so he won anyway.
He got far more delegates than either Newt or Santorum on Tuesday because of his landslide victories in Hawaii and American Samoa.

Less than a week before the AL and MS primaries, no one thought he had any chance to win or even come close in either state. Then some polls came out that suggested he had a chance, so some Romney supporters like myself became very hopeful that he might be able to pull off a win in one or both of the states. We got our hopes up at the last minute and were consequently let down, but he still did much better in both states than anyone would have expected before those polls came out.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Romney did MUCH better than anyone thought he would do in AL and MS. He may have technically finished third in both states, but he only got about 2% less of the vote than Santorum and only 0.6% less of the vote than Newt in MS. In MS, in terms of delegates, Romney got an equal number of delegates as Newt and only one less than Santorum.

In AL, he only finished 5.5% behind Santorum and only 0.3% behind Newt.

It won't be a problem in the general election.

Romney
Republicans will rally around Mitt. I know I already have.

The Republican base is very motivated to get Obama out of office. The democrat base is not nearly as motivated, which is why they are pushing so many false narratives: the republican war on women, the greedy 1%, the anti-science gop, etc. It's not like he will lose his base, but fewer will come out. He really got the youth vote out in '08, but they are more likely to stay home this time around.

And Obama is not polling well at all with independents. That's his biggest problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections