Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,123,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How misinformed can you be.

It is well known, ignorance breeds fear.
What do you fear the most about Ron Paul, since you are trolling....

I tell you what, if Ron Paul is soooo against this kind of thing, then he should opt out of ALL of the perks. Also, opt out of Medicare, Social Security, and all forms of "entitlements."

Otherwise, well, I'll let you figure that one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,938,046 times
It was from this interview.

Ron Paul on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - March 20, 2012 - YouTube

Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,167,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Should we take your word for it, or do you have dirt that every MSM hasn't been able to find?

All of your allegations are ridiculous, as every other politician is guilty of receiving the same work package.

Now if you want to talk about corrupt lobbyists having access to congress. He is the only one that can't, won't be bought.

Care to debate that issue?

Didn't think so.

Oh we can debate about this 8 days a week. I have interned on the hill so I know first hand the perks that Congress receives. From free car service to meal per diems to free dry cleaning on site, they get an over abundance of freebies that we as tax payers foot the bill. I also know that Congressman Paul's healthcare, pension and vacation are funded by my tax dollars. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around his platform when he is personally benefitting from the same evils he speaks so passionately about. He should have started on Capitol Hill with his reforms. Do Congressmen really need a meal per diem? free parking? car service? free dry cleaning? barber? I can add at least 10 other perks that they get directly or indirectly. Did you know that there is a 300 member police force that protects Capitol Hill? Ron Paul benefits from this also. But he wants to call out the SS as a form of welfare. So, if the SS is welfare, what does that make Capitol Hill Police? Paul is a part of the establishment which makes him a part of the problem. These are facts!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 AM

965 posts, read 1,887,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
How many? How many teachers are there in the US....
Teachers are not provided with free meals or free transportation. And as for whether or not they have a summer vacation, many of them take other jobs in the summer to supplement their income or have to attend workshops and conferences, often mandatory. Hardly a 'vacation'.

I think DC's Finest was saying that he benefits from all of the perks of being a congressman from taxpayer money that he often criticizes. Talk about being a hypocrite.

For all the Ron Paul fanboys out here, if he were to become President, should he not have Secret Service protection? Would he be a hypocrite if he were to have it?

I'm no fan of any politician. They're all in it for themselves. Paul included.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,167,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I tell you what, if Ron Paul is soooo against this kind of thing, then he should opt out of ALL of the perks. Also, opt out of Medicare, Social Security, and all forms of "entitlements."

My point exactly! How can you talk about reform when you are receiving all types of perks. That's hypocritical. If Paul would have came out out fo the gate denouncing all the perks that are paid by our tax dollars, he would have gotten everyone's attention. But he is status quo.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,136,551 times
The real issue with Ron Paul not being taken seriously is that he doesn't have the backing of a political party. He's much more Libertarian than the current state of the republican party.

The man has some great ideas. But simply because they're not a "Republican" or "Democrat" idea both sides immediately hate on (for lack of a better word) his policy recommendations. It just goes to show how partisan our country truly is.

Maybe what Ron Paul should do is continue to run for president as an independent and detract voters from both parties. We truly need to start developing more than 2 perspectives on our issues. There's multiple perspectives out there. Our complex issues aren't simply black or white, or better yet, blue or red. They are complex problems that span more than one discipline. Financial policy can influence social policy. Social policies can influence financial problems. Legal policy can have huge effects on local budgets (enforcement, policing, court costs).

None of the current candidates have my vote right now. Not even Obama who I voted for the last election. I think the people are ready for more than the Democrat or Republican perspective.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,572,815 times
He talks about taking responsibility for his own protection and a lot more on Jay Leno.

Ron Paul on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - March 20, 2012 - YouTube

Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,572,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post

He doesn't feed his ego with power, he wants to restore the power to the people. He's the only one that has talked about cutting real spending, 1 Trillion in the first year. He would cut his salary to $39,000 per year, if elected. That is the salary of the average American. He will be paying for his own retirement. The banks, corporations and taxpayers are not paying for his candidacy. You don't seem to know much about him.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
he has lots of good ideas. i think the federal government serves a purpose but if they dont do that well and there is no avenue of redress this shortcoming its time for mega change.
feds are supposed to defend against invasion. but this is the 3rd round of illegal alien invasion (best estimate currently at 20 million) already done 2 amnesties that were supposed to fix it.
meanwhile we keep on invading other countries.a few states are trying to defend themselves from invasion, but the feds make them out to be the devil. whats up with that.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,136,551 times
*Waiting on my lunch to warm up

I have an example to add to my post. I'll discuss the issue of welfare.

An overwhelming majority of citizens want to cut welfare waste and welfare fraud. I haven't heard a single poster on these boards take up for those abusing the system. Rather, I've heard posters argue why some citizens need welfare. For most Americans, the issue isn't supporting those who are down on their luck and trying to better themselves, its supporting people mooching off the system. It not only increases the tax burden on the general population, it decreases the resources available for those who truly need the help.

I believe that through discussion, fact checking, and reason, we can solve nearly all of our current social and financial ills. The problem is that the discussions typically break into petty bickering and are seldom productive. Ironic seeing that we criticize our politicians for the same things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections