Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Give it a rest. Romney has never done anything "racist" that we've seen. So why are you falsely accusing him of racism based on writings decades or centuries old?
Because he's a Republican, and Democrats are desperate to do anything they can to badmouth Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Wait so you're saying that Romney's religion hasn't been brought up repeatedly and bashed repeatedly during this election cycle?

Do you live under a rock or something?

All that for belonging to a religion of some of the best people you'll ever meet. It's pretty pathetic. If Reverent Wright hadn't been taped spouting a bunch of, "Kill Whitey!!" rhetoric, Obama's affiliation with Wright would have never even made the news at all. He was saying crap like that leading up to the election and it didn't look good. But personally, I think it should have been a non-issue. But since it mattered to some people, what are the great crimes of the Mormon religion currently? There are some practices from the distant past that people rant about a lot. Every religion you ever heard of has things in the past they'd rather just leave in the past. Catholicism and their Inquisitions. The Southern Baptist Church, other southern protestants and them teaching that slavery was the will of God and that blacks had no souls and were not actually human. Many religions have ugliness in their past and most have worse skeletons in their closet than Mormons do.

But what about the present? What is so terrible about Mormons that people act like they've got rabies or something?
Produce one instance of Rev. Wright spouting "Kill Whitey". I bet you can't.

Rev. Wright worked piratically his whole career as a minster within a predominately (95%+) white denomination

Old 04-04-2012, 10:36 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
I'm an Obama supporter, if we decide to play the look at his religion card, we aren't any better than the right. The issue is if he will use his personal religious beliefs in his policy decision making. Based of what he wants to do with funding organizations that provide important women's health services, amend the Constitution to write discrimination into it among others its apparent he does want to use his personal religious beliefs to make policy, and that is a problem no matter what the religion.

If we are going to bash Romney on religion it should be for him trying to push his socially conservative religious views on everyone and the laws of this country, not what religion he happens to be.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post

Rev. Wright worked piratically his whole career as a minster within a predominately (95%+) white denomination
Is this part of that 95%+ white denomination?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Is this part of that 95%+ white denomination?
Trinity UCC in part of the Untied Church of Christ so yes it is.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:50 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The issue is if he will use his personal religious beliefs in his policy decision making. Based of what he wants to do with funding organizations that provide important women's health services, amend the Constitution to write discrimination into it among others its apparent he does want to use his personal religious beliefs to make policy, and that is a problem no matter what the religion.

If we are going to bash Romney on religion it should be for him trying to push his socially conservative religious views on everyone and the laws of this country, not what religion he happens to be.
As far as Romney wanting to cut funding to Planned Parenthood, you do realize that spending has to be cut, right? I guess it's automatically about religion and not about spending cuts in your mind because you think spending should never be cut. And, FYI, that's not the only spending he wants to cut.

Also, the federal government under Obama has recently cut funding for women's health services in my state so I wouldn't be bashing Romney for wanting to cut funding to a specific organization that provides women's health services. (The state will be funding it on its own...and really funding for that sort of thing should probably be provided at the state/local level anyway IMO.)

As far as him wanting to "write discrimination into the Constitution," you shouldn't be playing that card given that Obama (likely because of his personal religious beliefs as well) is also against gay marriage and Obama and Romney both support legal recognition for gay couples other than marriage. Why don't you feel that Obama's stance on gay marriage is wrong as well?

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-04-2012 at 11:04 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Trinity UCC in part of the Untied Church of Christ so yes it is.
You really need to stop being intentionally misleading.

Trinity UCC is a black church. Period. It may be loosely connected with a traditionally white denomination, but it is a black church. To say otherwise is an absolute lie.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Give it a rest. Romney has never done anything "racist" that we've seen. So why are you falsely accusing him of racism based on writings decades or centuries old?
His father certainly wasn't racist...

http://aboutmittromney.com/romney_and_king.htm

Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
You really need to stop being intentionally misleading.

Trinity UCC is a black church. Period. It may be loosely connected with a traditionally white denomination, but it is a black church. To say otherwise is an absolute lie.
Do you not understand what the word denomination means. I said "within a predominately (95%+) white denomination". That is the truth. Trinity has voluntarily chosen to remain a member of a predominantly white denomination. The predominately black congregation of Trinity could vote to leave the denomination whenever they wanted. Not only have they chosen to stay, but they are extremely generous with their time and financial resources towards the other member congregations and the denomination in general. The accusation that Trinity is about hating white people is the lie.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:

Obviously, I exaggerated a bit, but he was spouting a lot of very controversial racial rhetoric.

Personally, I say spout away. It's his church and if a predominantly black congregation wants to feel a bit annoyed at all the feces that white folks have dumped on them over the centuries, I say go for it! But unfortunately, some people were bothered by it.

The Reverend Wright crap did not stop me from voting for Barack Obama in 2008 just as Romney's Mormonism is not going to stop me from voting for him this time around. Had Obama actually delivered where it mattered, I'd be voting for him again anyways.

But my challenge is pretty simple: For those who are all obsessive about the whole religious litmus test BS, please tell me the current practice or teaching of the Mormons that is so evil and toxic that you can't bear the thought of voting for a Mormon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections