Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:40 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times

Advertisements

[quote= How can you support someone who wants to extend the Patriot Act?

How can you support someone who thinks drones spying on you is OK?

How can you support someone who would detain you indefinitely based merely on a suspicion?

How can you support someone who says that freedom and individual liberty is NOT the Republican way?

How can you support someone who wants to continue doing things that are NOT working?

How can you support MORE government involvement in your lives?

How can you support someone who promised to protect the Constitution only to rip away our rights?

HOW?[/QUOTE]

Well most people haven't noticed any change in their lives since the 'patriot act' passed,most of the objections involve what hypotheticly 'could' happen,and until it starts actualy impacting a lot of people in a negative way most people will continue not to care.

Why the gov't would spend the money to have drones 'spy' on me or anyone I know?We are all too boring......again hypothetical impact troubling...real world impact nil for most of us.

Why would the gov't want to feed,clothe and house me or anyone I know indefinately?Wouldn't they rather keep getting my tax dollars then spend money on upkeep on a boring guy like me?Again hypothetical hysteria,not likely to happen.

I don't believe Romney has said,"Freedom and individual liberty are not the republican way",but if you supply a link i'll read it.

"Someone who wants to continue doing things that are not working"is far too vague a question to address.

Romney keeps saying he wants LESS gov't interference in our lives.....you can choose to not believe he really does but that is a matter of opinion unless and until it happens

What 'rights' exactly has Romney 'ripped away'?Thus far he has had no impact on my rights good or bad.

There you go,direct answers to your questions...happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well most people haven't noticed any change in their lives since the 'patriot act' passed,most of the objections involve what hypotheticly 'could' happen,and until it starts actualy impacting a lot of people in a negative way most people will continue not to care.

Why the gov't would spend the money to have drones 'spy' on me or anyone I know?We are all too boring......again hypothetical impact troubling...real world impact nil for most of us.
What is the purpose of those drones, the NDAA and the extension of the Patriot Act? Just for "terrorists" as we know them? Have you read what they consider "possible" terrorists? How can you even consider giving up your freedoms, your fricken rights in the name of "safety"? You want to talk about "hypothetical impact troubling", it's the government telling us that they are "here to help" and that we are all in danger at all times. Fear mongering!

Quote:
Why would the gov't want to feed,clothe and house me or anyone I know indefinately?Wouldn't they rather keep getting my tax dollars then spend money on upkeep on a boring guy like me?Again hypothetical hysteria,not likely to happen.
You keep the people down, you, the government, can do whatever the hell you want. Look at countries in the world and throughout history that have done this very thing.

Quote:
I don't believe Romney has said,"Freedom and individual liberty are not the republican way",but if you supply a link i'll read it.
It wasn't Romney, it was Santorum.

Rick Santorum, 'It Takes a Family' : NPR

Quote:
"Someone who wants to continue doing things that are not working"is far too vague a question to address.
The economy is getting worse, they keep doing the same thing, our foreign policy doesn't work, they want to keep doing the same thing...did you even watch the video?

Quote:
Romney keeps saying he wants LESS gov't interference in our lives.....you can choose to not believe he really does but that is a matter of opinion unless and until it happens
Again, in the video, it shows him on a Fox News debate where he stated he would have voted for the NDAA. How is that less government interference? And Romney says one thing one day, something else the next day...which day do you believe him?

Quote:
What 'rights' exactly has Romney 'ripped away'?Thus far he has had no impact on my rights good or bad.
Not all of this was directed at Romney...this was directed at all of them. What part made you think it was all directed at Romney?

Quote:
There you go,direct answers to your questions...happy?
I appreciate your candor.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 04-08-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 PM

37,213 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

EPIC Ron Paul ad-DEMOLISHES Obama and Romney.mp4 - YouTube

How can you support someone who wants to extend the Patriot Act?

How can you support someone who would detain you indefinitely based merely on a suspicion?

How can you support someone who says that freedom and individual liberty is NOT the Republican way?

How can you support someone who wants to continue doing things that are NOT working?

How can you support someone who promised to protect the Constitution only to rip away our rights?

HOW?
How? Because then I don't have to vote for a racist SOB who named one of his children after Ayn Rand. Either of those is a strong-as-death reason not to vote for him.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
People don't directly answer the question because life is more complex then a few leading questions. It reminds me of Family Guy with Peter on the stand...

Lawyer: "Sir, would you describe the defendant as a pervert, or a 17th century haberdasher"
Peter: "Er, I don't think those are really applicable"

I answered the first question you made "What Is It About Freedom That You Don't Like?"

It is a false dichotomy that Paul stands for freedom and no one else does, so it is a false argument.

If the only way you can even attempt the debate is to restrict people to your leading questions, and false dichotomy, you have failed just as you started.
They aren't loaded, how can you support someone who says he would have voted for the NDAA?

How can you vote for someone who signed an extension on the Patriot Act?

How can you vote for someone who says that lowering government taxes, keeping out of the bedroom, etc. etc is not the Republican way?

How can you vote for someone who wants to send more troops in harm's way over an idea that Iran may get nukes...something they've been saying for OVER A DECADE AND IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED?

Those are not loaded questions, those are very direct questions.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
How? Because then I don't have to vote for a racist SOB who named one of his children after Ayn Rand. Either of those is a strong-as-death reason not to vote for him.
So you get all of your facts from the media with no research on your own. Good to know and pretty much answers all questions...you let the media tell you what to think.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:51 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:

EPIC Ron Paul ad-DEMOLISHES Obama and Romney.mp4 - YouTube

How can you support someone who wants to extend the Patriot Act?

HOW?
Watch "The Lord of the Flies"

Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Don't like it when some one tells me I am free...and when I push things to the limit - I find out that I am not free...I learned thing dealing with the SUPREME COURT OF CANADA... That someone can lie and take away the freedom of a family member...have it exposed to the court...and have the court protect and cover for the liar....No real rights...in the end...and no one at the top of the food chain to enforce human and civil rights....That is what I don't like about "freedom"--- it simply does not exist as we believe it does....."Those who believe they are free are the easiest to control".....I know - I am not free...and not trusted by the powers that be for that reason...because I am fully aware.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Watch "The Lord of the Flies"
I've read Lord of the Flies...what's the point?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Quote:
What is the purpose of those drones, the NDAA and the extension of the Patriot Act? Just for "terrorists" as we know them? Have you read what they consider "possible" terrorists? How can you even consider giving up your freedoms, your fricken rights in the name of "safety"? You want to talk about "hypothetical impact troubling", it's the government telling us that they are "here to help" and that we are all in danger at all times. Fear mongering!

You keep the people down, you, the government, can do whatever the hell you want. Look at countries in the world and throughout history that have done this very thing.

It wasn't Romney, it was Santorum.

Rick Santorum, 'It Takes a Family' : NPR

The economy is getting worse, they keep doing the same thing, our foreign policy doesn't work, they want to keep doing the same thing...did you even watch the video?

Again, in the video, it shows him on a Fox News debate where he stated he would have voted for the NDAA. How is that less government interference? And Romney says one thing one day, something else the next day...which day do you believe him?

Not all of this was directed at Romney...this was directed at all of them. What part made you think it was all directed at Romney?

I appreciate your candor.
Well the video heading said,"Epic Ron Paul Ad Demolishes Obama and Romney"...so I didn't realize Santorum,Gingrich,etc. were mixed into the discussion.

I'm not happy with the economy..i'm unconvinced that Paul has all the answers in that regard...a lot of what he proposes in that regard involves going back to things that didn't work that well when we used them the first time,which is why they were changed to begin with.Just because the changes didn't always work doesn't mean going back is the answer either.

Some of our foreign policy works,some doesn't,some never will,I don't care who is in the whitehouse.

I'm not 'giving up rights' for safety....most of this stuff 'the govt' will do anyway if they really want to....law or no law or against the law.
While I feel that most of this anti-terror stuff does nothing other than give the appearence of doing something without doing much of anything,I also think the Paul supporters are just as guilty of fear mongering on the subject.The gov't is going to come and take you away!Drones are watching you go to your mailbox!If you don't like obamacare you will be labeled a terrorist and dragged to the fema camp!........What specificly about the NDAA is going to actually affect your life or mine????I know it is the bogeyman dujour but how do you think it will it interfere in your life in reality?What changes will you be forced to make to not be affected by it?

It is actually my intention to vote for Paul in the primary since his view of the fed. gov't comes closest to mine,although he goes way too far in some areas but I don't view him as the messiah that many of his supporters do. In the end I think Romney,if elected,will be an ok president when it comes to the economy and I don't think hes going to do much in any other areas.I don't think he cares much about the social issues nor do I think he is interested in "endless wars" as many paul supporters have claimed.If Obama gets reelected,which is a good possibility',i'll likely survive that too,if I can deal with four years I can survive eight.I really like Rand Paul a lot more than his father...maybe in 2016 i'll get excited.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
I love my "freedom" and the Constitution I raised my right hand and swore to defend....and I will NEVER vote for the status quo.

The only candidate who represents me is Ron Paul. The only one with the record to back up what he says. And that's it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections