Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times

Advertisements

What I mean is: Could we find our own candidate, that was not tied to any political party, and have a national write-in campaign? Are there laws, rules or regulations preventing any organized write-in for president?

If it were possible; I love the idea of thumbing our noses at the establishment and all of the high rollers. I would love to see knowledgeable, intelligent, moral leaders. Of course; many would select leaders on shear popularity - which might not have any of my idealistic qualities.

Anyway; I wanted to ask the question and see what others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Americans Elect 2012 | The first direct presidential nomination

Some billionaires are already doing it, and it's a giant scam.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Americans Elect 2012 | The first direct presidential nomination

Some billionaires are already doing it, and it's a giant scam.
I was thinking about more of a grass roots movement - without all of the money!

Thanks

Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I was thinking about more of a grass roots movement - without all of the money!

Thanks
The way state laws are set up you need millions of dollars just to get on the ballot. The system is rigged against any genuine grassroots organization. Hence why the only halfway successful effort has been a scam run by billionaires.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
it seems more like a fairy tail to me. You don't have anything without money. What you are talking about would never work, if for no other reason, many states do not allow write ins. You did know that didn't you?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What I mean is: Could we find our own candidate, that was not tied to any political party, and have a national write-in campaign? Are there laws, rules or regulations preventing any organized write-in for president?

If it were possible; I love the idea of thumbing our noses at the establishment and all of the high rollers. I would love to see knowledgeable, intelligent, moral leaders. Of course; many would select leaders on shear popularity - which might not have any of my idealistic qualities.

Anyway; I wanted to ask the question and see what others think.
Cool. Oh what agreement have we come to on abortion? What's that? We haven't? I guess this won't work then.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
it seems more like a fairy tail to me. You don't have anything without money. What you are talking about would never work, if for no other reason, many states do not allow write ins. You did know that didn't you?
On Wikipedia they state that: “Typically, write-in candidates have a very small chance of winning, but there have been some notable write-in candidates in the past.” They go on to list the notable exceptions: Write-in candidate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am curious why we do not have more with our new technology? Perhaps we are busy shutting down this avenue of free speech with our newer electronic voting machines? I did not see how many states allow this practice?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 PM

The method of voting has nothing to do with it. State legislatures write the laws regarding legal recognition of parties and since in every state the two main parties control almost 100% of legislative seats, they collude to make it such that third parties either face a massive hurdle at best or it's nearly impossible for them to gain ballot access. A real triumph of bipartisan legislation.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Won't happen because there's no one website every American reads. Each party also appeals enough to enough people as to not lose that many votes. Our electoral college system is rigged toward a 2 party setup. What exactly would this third party candidate be that they could steal equally from both sides and not tip the election to one party? Not in America the "land of the free".

Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
I doubt it. Cable news, super pacs, and the internet are pushing the parties to the extremes. I don't see things getting much better any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections