Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There you go again, just making things up.. Lehman as an example, went out of business DUE TO FRAUD. Are you telling me that GM is defrauding people? The two arent even close to one another and you saying that companies would be out of business because they file bk is flat out wrong. You can sit here and try to spin it all you want, but anyone with an ounce of business knowledge wouldnt make such a silly mistake.
Nooo.... Lehman went belly up because they over leveraged themselves and their debt to assets make them no longer viable. Fraud happened but it isn't what took them down - their business practice and the market did. The other financial firms were also exposed to varying degrees to the same elements that took down Lehman. That's why TARP existed.

75% of businesses that filed for bankruptcy liquidate their assets and eases to exist. They may re-emerge as different companies but the original ones eased to exist. Numbers don't lie.

You cited a few examples while ignoring the whole body of work. What you committed is a logical fallacy called "Hasty generalization." I suggest you learn about it here:

The Logical Fallacies: Hasty Generalization

Quote:
No you havent answered the question, you've avoided it like the plague. Here, we'll go slower for you

Where
does
the
government
get
money
to
stimulate
the
economy?

Did I key slow enough for you?
LOL. What you lack in logic you make up for in smarta**ness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
The banks themself said they didnt need the money.. I'm willing to bet the banks know what their financial condition was. Tell me what makes you know their financial condition better than the CFO's who work for them?
So tell me something, during the financial meltdown, with the market crumbling and big financial firms in dire strait, troubles caused by their own-doing. Their own stupid mistakes/miscalculation/over-leverage, whatever you call it. At a time like that, you're telling me you'd look the CFOs straight in the eyes and say, "I have no doubt you boys got this thing under control."

Do I know about the banks' financial condition? No. But you know who did? Hank Paulson. Why don't you ask the former Secretary of the Treasury the question of why he thinks he knows the bank's financial condition better the CFO's.

Quote:
And he's also been called 1 of the worse by other polls..
Just as I'm sure there are polls that say Magic Johnson is a crappy basketball player.... Any poll that calls FDR one of the worse is only good for laughs. But if you guys want to link FDR to Obama, have at it.

Quote:
Another failed "investment"
Maybe it's a bad time to alert you that.... high speed rail hasn't been completed yet. So any attempt to label it fail, just well, just plain dumb. But I guess we shouldn't expect more from you.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
That is not what he said. I just watched something with Romeny right now stating Obama as most Presidents inheriet a mess. He said he inherieted a mess.
However you left out quite a bit? he also stated, that in the 4 years of having Obama as our President, have things changed! are people's lives better off now then almost 4 years aog.
In speaking with many people he meets, so many have told him they are not better off, how come you conveiently left that part out.
He also stated, that obama has made things worse, you left that part out too.
Two days ago he stated the same thing, this is about the Country on the road to getting better, unfortunately for so many, this has not happened.

Are people working as Obama promisded they would. You seem to have left out quite a lot, but got one part right. He is right about this, Obama did promise us a better Country, that we would be better off with his leadership, in a pigs eye hell no. Too many fine Americans are out of work, and way too many foreclosures, and no ending in sight. Truthfully speaking, most people are not better off, i know college grads, that cannot even find work,and yes they are looking. Be true to yourself this time, what were we promised by Obama, Prosperity, Unity, Unemployment would be below 8% yes he said that i have tapes to prove it. Small businessess would thrive. And that the economy would grow. Just be truthful, most of us will say no. And he would not do anything without being the most bi-partisian President, yes he said that also in my tapes.
No ebay would not let me put them up.
You can't possibly expect me to quote everything said by Romney do you? I quoted his interview with Laura Inghram and in that interview he did not say many things that he subsequently said later in the election.

You see, the difference between me and the disgruntled is that when I voted for Obama I have realistic expectations. There was no way in hell anyone could have accomplished all the things on your wish list. I don't care if Jesus came down from heaven and command the Oval Office, no way in hell could anyone, including the Son of God, live up to your agenda.

This is a global recession, do you get it. This thing ain't going to be pretty until the rest of the world sort out their mess. If you think Mitt Romney could have done better, you're sadly mistaken.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:13 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Obama did no such thing, and the DOW isnt the economy. In fact its counter the economy when profits are up because of a lack of the need to hire employees.
Do do that voodoo that you do so well ..................................................

Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
well it is.. But not because of government, its because as Romney said, it always gets better after a recession..
you have that one right, of course it is getting better, not nearly as fast as most had hoped or the Democrats and the economists had predicted, but it is slightly better. There are always hills and valleys. I doubt Romney is giving Obama any credit for any improvement, in fact I am 99% sure, if you pay any attention to his last few speeches, he isn't giving Obama credit for much.

Nita

Old 04-27-2012, 05:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
75% of businesses that filed for bankruptcy liquidate their assets and eases to exist. They may re-emerge as different companies but the original ones eased to exist. Numbers don't lie. .
Um, changing a stock market ticker, doesnt mean you are a different company. Where are you getting these "numbers" fom, your ass?
Quote:
LOL. What you lack in logic you make up for in smarta**ness.
Until you can tell me where government gets money, so it can pump into the economy, your postngs are nothing but a little kid who cant do anything but repeat talking points they heard that sound good, but simply makes no sense.

This is the only one of your babble I responded to because its the one I want to focus on to simply prove you dont have a clue.

Last edited by pghquest; 04-27-2012 at 05:43 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you have that one right, of course it is getting better, not nearly as fast as most had hoped or the Democrats and the economists had predicted, but it is slightly better. There are always hills and valleys. I doubt Romney is giving Obama any credit for any improvement, in fact I am 99% sure, if you pay any attention to his last few speeches, he isn't giving Obama credit for much.

Nita
Never stated he was gving Obama any credit, nor it deserved. You cant credit for something that occurs naturally, thats like giving credit to you, for having a birthday

Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
So tell me something, during the financial meltdown, with the market crumbling and big financial firms in dire strait, troubles caused by their own-doing. Their own stupid mistakes/miscalculation/over-leverage, whatever you call it. At a time like that, you're telling me you'd look the CFOs straight in the eyes and say, "I have no doubt you boys got this thing under control."
What allowed these banks to over leverage was GOVERNMENT GUARANTEES on assets they owned. If government guarantees your investments, its not an overleverage, unless you think the government is a bad credit risk.
Quote:
Do I know about the banks' financial condition? No. But you know who did? Hank Paulson. Why don't you ask the former Secretary of the Treasury the question of why he thinks he knows the bank's financial condition better the CFO's..
Most of the banks DIDNT WANT THE MONEY. I dont need to ask him why he forced banks to take money they didnt want, I didnt bring him up, YOU DID.. Why dont you run off and ask him
Quote:
Just as I'm sure there are polls that say Magic Johnson is a crappy basketball player.... Any poll that calls FDR one of the worse is only good for laughs. But if you guys want to link FDR to Obama, have at it. .
Translation, your head in in the sand, and you only want to hear what you want to hear, and deny anything else.. Yeah, you openen minded liberals are always good for a laugh.
Quote:
Maybe it's a bad time to alert you that.... high speed rail hasn't been completed yet. So any attempt to label it fail, just well, just plain dumb. But I guess we shouldn't expect more from you.
There are many in the industry who called the plan to upgrade the least used railways, stupid. Maybe you should follow along with the rest of the class and you wouldnt need so much special attention. You should be thanking Bushs's no child left behind policies for the extra support you are receiving

Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times
The Federal government is the issuer of currency to the monetary system.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times
Lax regulation and greed allowed institutional lenders the leeway to leverage assets at ratios that far exceeded their capital backstops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections