Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are trying to dance around and avoid answering simple questions, which is very telling.
No, I'm not. I've had lenghty discussions with you, Finn, on what Mormons really believe, but this is not the relgion forum, and I'm not getting into a theological discussion with you here. Anyone who has seen very many of my posts knows that I am more than willing to explain LDS doctrine in depth, and to address even the most controversial issues. But when the people I'm talking to simply tell me over and over again that I'm lying, I'm just not interested in expending the effort.

Quote:
They are both fantacies with invented races of people, planets, wizards etc.
Interesting. You clearly haven't read The Book of Mormon then. Just as I thought.

At any rate, this is it for me on this particular thread. I've been honest in my answers. I've been civil. In return I've been insulted and ridiculed. My beliefs have been parodied and purposely misrepresented. If anyone has any questions on Mormonism for me, please DM me for accurate information (no proselytizing, I promise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:27 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Ultimately, it comes down to whether they hate Obama more than they love Jeezus.
So glad to see that left wing commentators can be just as bizarre as right wing commentators. Another great job by Stewart.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Ultimately, it comes down to whether they hate Obama more than they love Jeezus.
That's pretty much it.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No, I'm not. I've had lenghty discussions with you, Finn, on what Mormons really believe, but this is not the relgion forum, and I'm not getting into a theological discussion with you here. Anyone who has seen very many of my posts knows that I am more than willing to explain LDS doctrine in depth, and to address even the most controversial issues. But when the people I'm talking to simply tell me over and over again that I'm lying, I'm just not interested in expending the effort.

Interesting. You clearly haven't read The Book of Mormon then. Just as I thought.

At any rate, this is it for me on this particular thread. I've been honest in my answers. I've been civil. In return I've been insulted and ridiculed. My beliefs have been parodied and purposely misrepresented. If anyone has any questions on Mormonism for me, please DM me for accurate information (no proselytizing, I promise).
It is a simple question: Do you, or do you not believe that Joseph Smith, or Moroni, or Nephites, or Lamanites, or planet of Kolob or spirit babies are a part of mormon faith? Yes, or no?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Seriously? I'm a lifelong member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Well I haven't been a church goer since 1979, so they may have changed the fashion of preaching to teaching of other's beliefs behind the Baptist pulpit. However, I don't recall any one ever talking about the Mormons in or out of a church setting. I thought maybe you'd been in other church settings and had heard something I hadn't and could enlighten me on the new goings on inside.
Guess not.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Another narrative by the Left/MSM that has gone down the toilet.

I guess when it comes to voting for a Mormon vs a muslim (some do think he is), the choice is clear.
Ron Paul 2012. write him in, he's neither.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Ron Paul 2012. write him in, he's neither.

I'm going to my local polling place to vote for Ron Paul right now.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So many of the Evangelical's are so frightened of Obama that they're choking down their aversion to Mormon's. It's really comical to watch them back-track, stutter and hem and haw when you remind them that Mormonism is a cult in their eyes.

They don't love Romney. They just hate Obama. You know....hatred. That most Jesus-like of Christian beliefs.
This election season just shows how hypocritical the Evangelical Christians can be. They supported Gingrich, a serial adulterer in large numbers during the primaries and now they will vote almost 100% for the person that they think is a cult member. Evangelicals prove over and over again that their votes are not based on any kind of principle, they will vote for anyone that is a member of Team Red, no matter what.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Have you known any evangelicals? I have and they are pretty hardcore. Given that many evangelicals still feel that Catholics are papist-worshipping devils, it's hard to believe that they wouldn't have a significant problem with a Mormon. I have a hard time believing that they will sacrifice their religious beliefs for politics.
I agree.
Most were for Santorum...
Baptists/hardcore evangelicals in the south do not like Romney.

They will just sit home on Election Day.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:03 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
I agree Romney's Mormon religion seems to have little respect for the separation of church and state, (look at Utah for example) and his faith and strange beliefs could ultimately lead to some potentially unusual decisions if he was ever elected to become President. I don't think too many Evangelical Christians are keen on Romney's fundamental Mormon beliefs:

Romney a fifth-generation Mormon, has stated that his spiritual convictions will "inform" his presidency.

"I believe in my Mormon faith, and I endeavor to live by it. My faith is the faith of my fathers. I will be true to them and to my beliefs." (Mitt Romney)

He believes that Jesus Christ is Satan's brother.
He believes that God lives near a planet called "Kolob"
He believes and has performed in the baptizing for the dead
He believes that Adam and Eve settled in Missouri and that the garden of Eden was in Jackson County, MO

He believes that God was once a man here on earth and that he attained God-hood due to his “good works” here on our planet

He believes that it was impossible for Blacks to go to Heaven before 1978
He believes that Jesus is a created being, the spirit brother of Lucifer
He believes that Jesus has children from his wife or wives
He believes he will own his own personal planet after he dies

His Prophet Joseph Smith claimed that an angel named Moroni came to him in visions and guided him to golden plates buried in an earthen mound -- Where's the Golden Plates?

He believes in three Mormons heavens: the Celestial Kingdom, Terrestrial Kingdom, and Telestial Kingdom. The Celestial is the highest, where God and the ones who followed his law reside. The Terrestrial is the middle, where people who followed the Law of Moses reside. The Telestial is the lowest, where the ones who followed carnal law reside.
He believes he can still conceal the inconsistencies that he masks.
He believes he must wear magic underwear created by Mormons and he is never to take it off unless he is bathing.
He believes it is a sin to drink anything containing caffeine.
He believes young Mormon men between the ages of 18-21 should go on missions, wear name badges, ride bicycles and tell fairy tales
He believes the Book of Mormon to be the word of God
As a Mormon, Romney also believes that he will become a god and that Christians are inferior.

Romney truly believes he is running for president to help establish The Kingdom of God and has promised his talents, abilities, and everything that he is to the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy.” (Mormon Prophet Brigham Young)

I see Mormon secrecy about its beliefs and practices being one of the reasons for its rather widespread unpopularity -- I'm sorry, but how could anyone in their right mind even consider voting for someone who believes in something as absurd as this.
This is interesting~

I had read the history of Joseph E. Smith, and how he started one of the sects...but I never knew many of these issues were core Mormon beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections