Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,584 times

Advertisements

No Romney bashing or anything, but I have been seeing claims that Romney will balance the budget. HOW? Will he increase taxes or reduce spending? One of the two definitely have to be done to make ends meet.
  • I am personally interested in seeing spending cuts, but Romney has already gone on record chiding Ron Paul's plan of cutting $1 Trillion saying that it's a drastic measure and that he wouldn't do the same. So it appears spending cuts are off the table.
  • Romney is planning a massive military build-up, so that's increased spending from what we have now.
  • Romney has embraced the Ryan plan, which actually increases the deficit by $4 Trillion, instead of decreasing it, because of increased military spending, so that doesn't work too.
  • "Increasing the tax base" is a promise politicians often make, and so does Romney, but I have seen no real detail on how he plans to achieve this.
  • Most articles analyzing Romney's budget plan seem to agree that he won't be able to balance the budget (Google it).

Please educate me how and please, nothing vague.

I am not interested in using this thread for discussing any other position of Romney, but simply the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
The next President, no matter who he is, will be able to balance the budget. Congress won't go there, period.

Asking to cut $1 trillion dollars from the budget in one year would only happen if the majority in both houses was willing to commit mass political suicide. No state wants their major military bases disappear, or the best paying high-tech jobs with Fed contracts go away, or all the agricultural subsidies propping up their major crops to disappear, or their FHA loans go south just as construction is beginning to pick up.

The voters won't be happy when there is a major Interstate failure, or plane crashes increase because of the lack of air controllers, or requiring to wait forever for hazardous products licenses... and that's just for starters.

The President can submit any budget he wants, but Congress has to sign off on it, and it won't happen. It's always the other guy, or some other state that gets hit, it's never me or mine when it comes to Congress.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I am personally interested in seeing spending cuts, but Romney has already gone on record chiding Ron Paul's plan of cutting $1 Trillion saying that it's a drastic measure and that he wouldn't do the same. So it appears spending cuts are off the table.
I don't follow this, are you saying there is no in-between? Romney either has to embrace Ron Paul's trillion in cuts or spending cuts are completely off the table?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,090 times
Sorry, I don't waste my time educating folks who have no interest in being persuaded. Google it instead of troll it.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,060,677 times
Are the annual massive budget debts a major concern to me? Yes.

Has Obama fulfilled his promises in this area? No.

Would I like to give Romney a chance over Obama to be an adult and make tough decisions? Yes.

How I'll Tackle Spending, Debt

Old 06-11-2012, 07:21 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I don't follow this, are you saying there is no in-between? Romney either has to embrace Ron Paul's trillion in cuts or spending cuts are completely off the table?
What spending cuts? Decreases in increases are not cuts. Maybe on Planet Ignorant of the Facts they are.
Romney has yet to support a budget that cuts the deficit. That's something else you don't know.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
u will only balance the budget by making sworn enemies of many people. everybody wants lots of services, wants it free now and wants others to pay later. the buck needs to stop being passed. tear up those credit cards. 46% of americans work FTE, the rest demand a free ride.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Are the annual massive budget debts a major concern to me? Yes.

Has Obama fulfilled his promises in this area? No.

Would I like to give Romney a chance over Obama to be an adult and make tough decisions? Yes.

How I'll Tackle Spending, Debt
Actually you mean annual deficits, not debt. That's cumulative and not annual.

What promises are you saying he hasn't fulfilled and please, swami, let us know what he, McCain or Jesus himself could have done to balance the books given the horrible economic conditions he inherited.

You can go ahead and vote for Romney, but he's just Obama with, as one poster here put it, 1850's social views.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,060,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Actually you mean annual deficits, not debt. That's cumulative and not annual.

What promises are you saying he hasn't fulfilled and please, swami, let us know what he, McCain or Jesus himself could have done to balance the books given the horrible economic conditions he inherited.

You can go ahead and vote for Romney, but he's just Obama with, as one poster here put it, 1850's social views.
Yeah, my typo on the wording. I know what each one is.

I am surprised that you don't know of Obama's failings from his 2008 campaign promises and just in general.

Obama promised to end no-bid contracts for over $25K - no action.

Has not had a single budget passed as president of the US.

Promised to not include lobbyists in his administration - failed.

He promised to pay for the national service plan without adding to the debt - fail.

CBO says his prediction on the costs of AHA and Stimulus were off.

Promised to go through the budget line by line and cut out waste.

Promised to cut out earmarks to at least 1994 levels - we are more than double that level.

Promised to find 100 Million Dollars of waste and cut it out - Obama chose this number knowing that it sounds big, but is actually small compared to what the government spends. It is 0.027% of the annual expenditures and yet Obama still couldn't find 0.027% of the budget to cut - he is such a poor leader he cannot make tough decisions.

He promised to cut the annual deficits in half by the end of his 1st term as president. He first made this promise in late 2006 so our annual deficit should be around 250 Billion based on his promise...we are well over 4 times that.

Obama said that Bush was unpatriotic for getting a "credit card from the Bank of China" and racking up debt. Obama said Bush was selling the future of our kids to foreign interests by racking up debt. Obama now has added more debt in less than 4 years than Bush in 8 years.

Obama has failed with the budget. He is a failure. He doesn't even give a serious effort. Anyone would be better, because we can't afford more failure.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 06-11-2012 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Romney is going to take away social security for everyone under 55 today and replace it with a discount card good at Walmart. That is pretty much the gist of the Romney/Ryan plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections