Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,301,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
lol...you are dreaming! You think Obama isn't vunerable on virtually every subject there is??? The only saving grace for Obama is that more than likely the debates will be moderated by those in corner to begin with for the most part.
Many conservatives don't like Romney, so your tin toil conspiracy theory might actually be true.

I think Romney is less popular than McCain, if that is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Many conservatives don't like Romney, so your tin toil conspiracy theory might actually be true.

I think Romney is less popular than McCain, if that is possible.

I wasn't speaking of conservatives...not sure where you got that? I don't know if Romney is less 'popular' than McCain, because we are not electing prom king, but I do know conservatives can't stand the thoughts of Obama having four more years...that's all that matters.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,251,449 times
Quote:
I wasn't speaking of conservatives...not sure where you got that? I don't know if Romney is less 'popular' than McCain, because we are not electing prom king, but I do know conservatives can't stand the thoughts of Obama having four more years...that's all that matters.
My family here in South Carolina is caught in a quandry. They despise Obama because he's black, but don't want to vote for Romney because he's heathen (Mormon). If only he had had the foresight to be born a Baptist. Oh, well. It is what it is.

It's funny as all heck to hear them talk politics, though. I shut up and sit back and listen.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,196,400 times
Quote:
Well, when we need a "cool" singer we give Obama a look see, but right now we need someone who is capable of leading this nation out of the mess Obama has succeeded in getting us in...cool singers need not apply.
Actually, the Great Recession started when Bush was in office after the Republicans had held the House, Senate and Presidency for 6/8 years. It's funny when partisans have their emotions tell them that they're conservative or Republican and they want to live in a dream world where nothing contradicts that. Unfortunately, the Great Recession was caused by lax financial regulations. That's the mantra of Republicans who continue to try to stop bank regulations to this day.

Feel free to hold Obama accountable for his actions, but the mess we're in were caused by the people who you love. Try holding them accountable at some point.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,197,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Obama is the best orator in Washington when he's on his game, but there were several times when Hillary whipped him in the primary debates of 2008.

I believe we will just have to wait and watch. Mitt is pretty wooden most of the time, but when he's backed into a corner, his brain takes over, and he's a very smart guy with fast reflexes. He dominated Gingrich several times, and Newt is a very skilled orator and debater, so I'm making no predictions.
Romney starts off unimpressive but he's a quick study. His big weakness is he's far too quick to anger when directly challenged; it throws him off his plan and he starts to get cagey and nervous. It worked well enough against the hotheads and dullards he shared the stage with during the primaries; none of them had the sense to disengage and let him harm himself. Obama's thing is playing it low-key, which really highlights intemperateness. McCain tried the alpha strategy in '08 and it made him look like a doddering old fool.

If Romney can walk a fine line between somehow goading Obama into explaining the lackluster results of his domestic policy so far without pointing out they're almost verbatim Romney's from when he was governor, he has a shot. Foreign policy is out of the question; Bin Laden's dead and Romney still thinks the Soviet Union is a thing. I don't think the debates will change anyone's minds though.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,774,085 times
Quote:
Well, when we need a "cool" singer we give Obama a look see, but right now we need someone who is capable of leading this nation out of the mess Obama has succeeded in getting us in...cool singers need not apply.
Well, I'll wait for the debates to compare Obama and Romney.

I do predict that garbage like the quote above that claim Obama drove us into this mess, a pure fabrication by the right, parroted hopefully by the true believers, will be exposed as the straight up lies they are. Despite the desperate attempts to imply Obama caused the recession, we all know it was deregulation, personal debt, and corporate sleaze. With Romney you'll get to put those same jokers back in the driver's seat, and that's not very appealing, to say the least.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,824,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, I'll wait for the debates to compare Obama and Romney.

I do predict that garbage like the quote above that claim Obama drove us into this mess, a pure fabrication by the right, parroted hopefully by the true believers, will be exposed as the straight up lies they are. Despite the desperate attempts to imply Obama caused the recession, we all know it was deregulation, personal debt, and corporate sleaze. With Romney you'll get to put those same jokers back in the driver's seat, and that's not very appealing, to say the least.
Not to mention the lovely people who brought us Iraq and land war in Afghanistan, destroyer of empires!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 AM

26,542 posts, read 15,116,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Actually, the Great Recession started when Bush was in office after the Republicans had held the House, Senate and Presidency for 6/8 years. It's funny when partisans have their emotions tell them that they're conservative or Republican and they want to live in a dream world where nothing contradicts that. Unfortunately, the Great Recession was caused by lax financial regulations. That's the mantra of Republicans who continue to try to stop bank regulations to this day.

Feel free to hold Obama accountable for his actions, but the mess we're in were caused by the people who you love. Try holding them accountable at some point.
Oh please.

The recession started when the Democrats were in control of congress and if we are honest, we will point out that the foundation for the recession was poured under Clinton where we saw the:

1) Housing Market Bubble get born
2) The Dot Com Bubble burst in his final months in office
3) NAFTA
4) China most favored status
5) Fake surpluses

What has Obama done that is so fabulous? Adding more debt in 3.5 years than Bush in 8 years?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,963,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Oh please.

The recession started when the Democrats were in control of congress and if we are honest, we will point out that the foundation for the recession was poured under Clinton where we saw the:

1) Housing Market Bubble get born
2) The Dot Com Bubble burst in his final months in office
3) NAFTA
4) China most favored status
5) Fake surpluses

What has Obama done that is so fabulous? Adding more debt in 3.5 years than Bush in 8 years?
First off, that's not how deficits work. Obama has added some (stimulus, and not actively seeking repeal of tax cuts) but most of that number is directly related to Bush policies that we are still living with like tax cuts, wars, and the recession.

You're right about Clinton. He shouldn't get a pass for his roll in the housing bubble and passing of laws that helped enable the financial meltdown.

Personally I think fully implemented ACA will be third rail program 20 years down the road and will be a milestone accomplishment. For this election however...

Also, this Administration's foreign policy work has been stellar. I know it's the team around him, like Clinton, but the repair of relations in Europe, how we handled Libya, finally calling-out Pakistan, and getting Bin Laden are not minor accomplishments.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:15 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,963,752 times
Quote:
lol...you are dreaming! You think Obama isn't vunerable on virtually every subject there is??? The only saving grace for Obama is that more than likely the debates will be moderated by those in corner to begin with for the most part.
The debates will be Romney vs. Romney. Obama will counter with "I agree with what Mr. Romney said in 2003..." and "In 1994 Mr. Romney thought that this program was a great idea so why..." Bank on it.

This is assuming that the parties don't put conditions on the debate that restrict mention of prior policy positions, which is possible. These debates have become nothing more than talking point recital sessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections