Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,202,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It's already like this, it's called a Medicare supplement. Obama is the one that cut $500,000 billion from Medicare.
Supplement insurance is not even in the same ballpark as regular health insurance. Obama cut $500 Trillion from Medicare?

Why exactly are you complaining about cuts here? Are you for big government or do you just whine about anything Obama does?

Old 07-18-2012, 03:05 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,717,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Supplement insurance is not even in the same ballpark as regular health insurance. Obama cut $500 Trillion from Medicare?

Why exactly are you complaining about cuts here? Are you for big government or do you just whine about anything Obama does?
Pssssttttttttt: Stating a fact doesn't constitute a complaint. Stating a fact doesn't constitute whining.

Obama did it. Deal with it. It doesn't matter in the slightest whether you, I, or anyone else likes it.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,202,209 times
What fact are you talking about here? US GDP is about $16T. Please, genius, tell me how Obama cut $500T from Medicare. I'm waiting to hear about this fact.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:02 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,872,649 times
Romney will cut it. Obama might cut it. Big difference.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,400,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Limiting coverage does not mean "death panels" and it does not mean screwing poor people. Speaking as someone who grew up with a different culture, Americans have a slightly warped attitude regarding old age and death. It's a difficult issue and I agree, there is no honest rhetoric coming from politicians about it.
Sorry I missed this. When you tell a 89 year old that we are not going to pay for a needed transplant, it is indeed telling them to go home and die unless they are rich enough to pay for it themself.

I'm not sure where I mentioned "screwing the poor".

Old 07-23-2012, 05:46 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,135,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry I missed this. When you tell a 89 year old that we are not going to pay for a needed transplant, it is indeed telling them to go home and die unless they are rich enough to pay for it themself.

I'm not sure where I mentioned "screwing the poor".
Is there an anecdote or article you can link to where this actually happened? B/c the only "rationing" of healthcare that I've ever seen has been part of our current system, except the industry calls it "rescission" and "lifetime benefit caps"

Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,130,478 times
Quote:
People are sarcastic about this but there is simply no way we can do universal coverage and not limit coverage (ie: death panels).

It's unfortunate that nobody will be honest here. I wish someone would run that was simply brutally honest. It would be interesting.
I"ll be brutally honest. Medicare is universal coverage for seniors. Do you see any death panels in it?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Is there an anecdote or article you can link to where this actually happened? B/c the only "rationing" of healthcare that I've ever seen has been part of our current system, except the industry calls it "rescission" and "lifetime benefit caps"
We are discussing, or at least I was, what will have to be done. To provide universal coverage like many want we will simply not be able to pay for every procedure wanted by everyone. We will have to decide what we will cover and what we will not.

Many countries do this now. It's inevitable.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I"ll be brutally honest. Medicare is universal coverage for seniors. Do you see any death panels in it?
Medicare is going broke. Technically it already is since all the money is since we are 16 trillion in debt. To rectify this we have no choice but make cuts.

Not that we don't already.

Vermont Legal Aid and a Connecticut advocacy organization filed a lawsuit in federal court Tuesday to end the practice of denying Medicare coverage for skilled services to patients based on the fact that their underlying conditions won't improve, such as people afflicted with multiple sclerosis.

Michael Benvenuto, project director of the Medicare Advocacy Project at Vermont Legal Aid, and co-counsel in the case, said Tuesday the lawsuit has the potential to help hundreds of patients in Vermont and thousands more nationwide.

"Many of our clients are elderly, 80 or 90 years old, living alone, getting home health services," Benvenuto said. "Nurses and aides come to their homes to provide essential care that doctors are ordering."

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...icare-coverage

Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,130,478 times
Quote:
Medicare is going broke. Technically it already is since all the money is since we are 16 trillion in debt. To rectify this we have no choice but make cuts.

Not that we don't already.

Vermont Legal Aid and a Connecticut advocacy organization filed a lawsuit in federal court Tuesday to end the practice of denying Medicare coverage for skilled services to patients based on the fact that their underlying conditions won't improve, such as people afflicted with multiple sclerosis.

Michael Benvenuto, project director of the Medicare Advocacy Project at Vermont Legal Aid, and co-counsel in the case, said Tuesday the lawsuit has the potential to help hundreds of patients in Vermont and thousands more nationwide.

"Many of our clients are elderly, 80 or 90 years old, living alone, getting home health services," Benvenuto said. "Nurses and aides come to their homes to provide essential care that doctors are ordering."

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...icare-coverage
So what? They haven't won that suit yet, have they? I doubt they will. Anyway, they're wrong. Under Medicare regs the patient has to be getting better or the skilled care ceases. Then the pt. has to go with a private home health agnecy. I have worked in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections