Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,065,551 times

Advertisements

I believe Marco Rubio will be Romney's pick for VP. I believe it will be a Romney/Rubio ticket.

The first Cuban to make strides into the White House...sounds very appealing. And his story would add warmth and appeal that Romney DOES NOT have.

Marco is bright and young, and not an extremist. I do not believe romney will pick condelezza. This country is not ready for a Black woman in office yet, we have to prepare for that. So we first had a black man in office, and possibly a Latino in office, than we will have a woman in office, and perhaps then a Black Woman in office.

Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,469,221 times
Unlikely, as selecting a conservative and a cuban like Rubio would probably just appear patronizing to other hispanics, the overwhelming majority of whom are Mexican-American, which is a very different culture. Plus Rubio's speeches on behalf of "legal" immigration wouldn't exactly endear him to the "anti-illegal" part of the GOP "Base"!

And besides, Rubio (with or without his connection to Scott), is a divisive and not overwhelmingly popular figure anyway in Florida, a state that Romney obviously can't afford to take chances with.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,384,118 times
First I don't think it would be seen as patronizing unless the Romney campaign went overboard patting themselves on the back for having the first Hispanic on the ticket. Secondly only a tiny number of blacks saw it as patronizing in 2008 even though Obama is of Kenyan (East African) ancestry, while almost all US blacks are of West African ancestry. Like Hispanics, all Africans are not the same. There are huge differences between East & West Africa. Finally if Hispanics find it patronizing, who cares. Not many Hispanics will vote for Romney anyway; maybe with Rubio on the ticket, a few more will--who knows.

The best choice IMO are Rice, Rubio, and Jindal, all for very different reasons--just my opinion. I don't see that the country is not ready for a black female on the ticket. If a black male, why not a black female? Anyway as Sec'y of State Rice has already been in the line of prez succession (I believe if both prez and VP are incapacitated, next in line is Speaker, followed by Secy of State.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,595,846 times
Rubio supported the Arab spring and Obama on Libya. He also is for amnesty. Also voted to continue the federal sugar program. No thanks.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
First I don't think it would be seen as patronizing unless the Romney campaign went overboard patting themselves on the back for having the first Hispanic on the ticket. Secondly only a tiny number of blacks saw it as patronizing in 2008 even though Obama is of Kenyan (East African) ancestry, while almost all US blacks are of West African ancestry. Like Hispanics, all Africans are not the same. There are huge differences between East & West Africa. Finally if Hispanics find it patronizing, who cares. Not many Hispanics will vote for Romney anyway; maybe with Rubio on the ticket, a few more will--who knows.

The best choice IMO are Rice, Rubio, and Jindal, all for very different reasons--just my opinion. I don't see that the country is not ready for a black female on the ticket. If a black male, why not a black female? Anyway as Sec'y of State Rice has already been in the line of prez succession (I believe if both prez and VP are incapacitated, next in line is Speaker, followed by Secy of State.
You may be right about the GOP pulling off a non-patronzing version of having Rubio on the ticket. Although re: "who cares", IMO big difference between risking any of the hispanic vote nationally and risking it in FL. Just as there's also a big difference between "cultural" and "racial" loyalties or affinity (in both blacks and whites)!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:28 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,690,317 times
It will be Portman.

Rubio is too young, too inexperienced, too popular.

If not Portman, Pawlenty.

Two hideous choices, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Rubio supported the Arab spring and Obama on Libya. He also is for amnesty. Also voted to continue the federal sugar program. No thanks.
you're going to find something wrong no matter who it is. it's just something you'll have to deal with. perfection doesn't exist.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,198,486 times
Also Rubio's going to be indicted soon in the Jim Greer corruption trial, so there's that.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,502,145 times
I hope Romney chooses a VP that has some foreign policy experience. Rubio doesn't fit that, and Condi Rice doesn't want the job (her on the ticket would definitely sway my decision).

I am sure Romney is a good business man, but there are a whole lot of areas he has no experience in (defense, foreign policy, diplomacy???)

IMO, he needs to broaden the experience on the ticket.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,525,470 times
Oh, you mean like obama??

Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
I hope Romney chooses a VP that has some foreign policy experience. Rubio doesn't fit that, and Condi Rice doesn't want the job (her on the ticket would definitely sway my decision).

I am sure Romney is a good business man, but there are a whole lot of areas he has no experience in (defense, foreign policy, diplomacy???)

IMO, he needs to broaden the experience on the ticket.
Then, Petraeus would be a perfect choice, who'd also bring more 'gravitas' to the ticket (and he'd make a great attack-dog while Romney stayed above the fray)! Unfortunately the past associations with "Iraq" might still be too "sensitive" a topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections