Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 06:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Um, no. I just don't want to kill anyone, steal, etc. LOL Typical lib thinking all humans are evil and need the government to keep everyone in line.
So why do we need government laws that say these things are illegal? If they are illegal to God, then I guess that should be good enough. Seriously, do all Cons think government is some form of scary monster? Yet, you keep voting and electing people to run your government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 06:40 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is from the first Amendment of the Constitution, that line means separation of church and state....seriously did you guys just fall off the boat?
No it doesn't - it means exactly what it says : Congress shall not make any law that establishes an offical religion - nor interfere with the free practice and expression of religious views.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No it doesn't - it means exactly what it says : Congress shall not make any law that establishes an offical religion - nor interfere with the free practice and expression of religious views.
The government also can not use any religion as a primary reason to create laws that effect others that do not believe in that religion.

Maybe you should do some studying on our country, it seems like "separation of church and state" is foreign to you.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
The government also can not use any religion as a primary reason to create laws that effect others that do not believe in that religion.
Could you specify an instance in which this has been done?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
I would have to agree with Paul Ryan. Rights come from nature, or God, or whatever you believe in... government is merely a human construct.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Not having read through this whole thread, I just don't understand what Ryan brings to the ticket. It seems to me that Romney is just trying to appease the conservative base. I still think Bob McDonnell would have been a hell of a pick and I don't even agree with his policies. But that may have helped him win Virginia. He has governed a state. What has Ryan done that would help Romney.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
I am pretty sure that our country was founded on a constitution, not the bible...

So is this the guy people really want running for VP? Someone who thinks our rights come from god and not government? As we watch the far-right move further right much like those countries that rely on religion to run their country.
This is what happens when education is controlled by a liberal agenda.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:54 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,170,159 times
Quote:
So why do we need government laws that say these things are illegal? If they are illegal to God, then I guess that should be good enough. Seriously, do all Cons think government is some form of scary monster? Yet, you keep voting and electing people to run your government.
Do the laws stop evil people from committing these crimes? NO!

Of course you should go to prison for murder, etc. It still doesn't stop people from doing it. It's basic nature that there is good and evil, you don't even need to believe in god to know that and certainly don't need the corrupt government to tell you. You have to get people to understand what's right and wrong in another way, which I don't think is even possible unfortunately.

Why do YOU trust the government so much? After all they are just humans like yourself, no better or worse. Not a conservative, by the way.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Do the laws stop evil people from committing these crimes? NO!

Of course you should go to prison for murder, etc. It still doesn't stop people from doing it. It's basic nature that there is good and evil, you don't even need to believe in god to know that and certainly don't need the corrupt government to tell you. You have to get people to understand what's right and wrong in another way, which I don't think is even possible unfortunately.

Why do YOU trust the government so much? After all they are just humans like yourself, no better or worse. Not a conservative, by the way.
He trusts the government because it gives him food, health care, housing,schooling, cell phones and any other entitlement his elected officials cant get him for his simple fricking vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections