Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There are strong parallels between Kerry-Edwards and Romney-Ryan. Both Kerry and Romney were viewed as ultra wealthy politicians who were out of touch with the working class. And both Edwards and Ryan are young, charismatic politicians who were selected to add excitement to the ticket. Another parallel is that in 2004 democrats weren't voting for Kerry, they were voting against Bush. Today republicans are not voting for Romney, they are voting against Obama. We all remember the 2004 outcome. Presidential elections aren't won by voting against someone, they are won by voting FOR someone.
basically I would agree with much of what you say, but Ryan and Edwards are very different in many ways, one was a business major in college and has been in congress since he was 28 years old, the other was an abulance chasing attorney and had not been in office very long. One was filthy rich, the other upper middle class. One had a plan for the country, the other had a mistress. I do agree most are voting against the current administration, not for the nominee and the same was true in 2004, but today, I believe our economic problems and broken promises are so bad, the voting against might be the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
I would not vote for Romney unless he chose a strong Libertarian-type candidate as his VP. Had he named someone like Gary Johnson as his VP I'd give him a look.

Regardless, I'm not voting for Obama in November

Why is Ryan a great choice? Does he motivate people who weren't already motivated? Will he change the poll numbers enough in a single state to make a difference?

Actually, we will know before. Polls will tell us plenty. They wont change much at all with Ryan as VP.

And we have our first intelligent statement!
Good work gsoboi78...you actually have an idea of how politics work. Nobody was brought into the fold by adding Ryan to the ticket. The Democrats are happy with this choice because it wont turn any of the people away from Obama to Romney...unlike Rubio, Johnson, Paul, Rice, Petreaus, or any of the other 10-15 men and women who would be able to motivate swing voters and apathetic ones.
Even if he had wanted to choose someone like Johnson, wouldn't that have been a litle hard, since Johnson is running for Pres on the libartarian ticket?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
What is with Repubs and their sudden epiphanies?

Paul Ryan's Skeleton in the Closet - TheStreet

Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
The Romney Ryan budget is about more than seniors. Among the decision we need to make are whether we want to get our parents and grandparents to the next world with some dignity left in this one and the same question for ourselves? Should we educate our kids for a competitive world? Should we be the world's policeman and engage in endless war? Can banks and investment houses be trusted with our money? Will the food and drug industry do the right thing without government oversight? Will our industries look out for our air and water unless we make them do it?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
I would not vote for Romney unless he chose a strong Libertarian-type candidate as his VP. Had he named someone like Gary Johnson as his VP I'd give him a look.

Regardless, I'm not voting for Obama in November

Why is Ryan a great choice? Does he motivate people who weren't already motivated? Will he change the poll numbers enough in a single state to make a difference?

Actually, we will know before. Polls will tell us plenty. They wont change much at all with Ryan as VP.

And we have our first intelligent statement!ne
Good work gsoboi78...you actually have an idea of how politics work. Nobody was brought into the fold by adding Ryan to the ticket. The Democrats are happy with this choice because it wont turn any of the people away from Obama to Romney...unlike Rubio, Johnson, Paul, Rice, Petreaus, or any of the other 10-15 men and women who would be able to motivate swing voters and apathetic ones.
Your comments might make sense if you hadn't named a buch of possible candidates that had already said: absolutely NO..Johnson is running on the Libartarian ticket as you know, Rice hates politics period and Petreaus has said infatically NO< NO>NO. Those Democrats that are voting would not have changed their minds if God had been nominated and the independents, that is still a matter to be judged as we get closer to the election. My guess, those who vote on socially issues will vote of Johnson or Obama, those who vote on economic issues will vote Romney. We will have no real idea for about 5 more weeks, after both conventions are over and things both heat up and quiet down.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I think Portman would have given him the best chance among the three he was considering. Ryan was probably the worst choice. Like Palin he is a magnet for controversy which is distracting from his message. The campaign is going to be about Ryan and his budget now, not Romney's vision or business acumen. Maybe that is what Romney wanted, but it just does not make a lot of sense if the objective is to win.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Romney Ryan budget is about more than seniors. Among the decision we need to make are whether we want to get our parents and grandparents to the next world with some dignity left in this one and the same question for ourselves? Should we educate our kids for a competitive world? Should we be the world's policeman and engage in endless war? Can banks and investment houses be trusted with our money? Will the food and drug industry do the right thing without government oversight? Will our industries look out for our air and water unless we make them do it?
It won't effect your parents or grandparents at all. There is no change for them whatsoever.

Maybe you need to read what the plan actually is because those on medicare/SS today and tomorrow will not be effected.

It's not your parents or grandparents you need to worry about, it's your children and grandchildren.

I have a son who is 21 and trying to make it on his own while going to school.
I will tell you that I had it much easier when I was 21. I had more wealth, more assets and more stability and more opportunities and this was during a time of high inflation and high rates (18% mortgage rates).

In a prosperous nation, your kids should end up with better opportunities than you had. That was the case for many generations but not anymore. Your kids have less today than you had when you were their age.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I find your lack of faith in the free market... disturbing.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 AM

288 posts, read 212,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoD View Post
Sure he cares, as long as you ARE a MINORITY NOT OF THIS COUNTRY!!! He does NOT care for U.S. citizens, which he's made clear in his freakin policies!

T.

Can you name one of such policies.... ?????

Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Arresmillao View Post
Can you name one of such policies.... ?????
Amnesty for 1.8 million illegals and possibly waiver of $450 fee to get a work permit.
All done by EO bypassing Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections