Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

Things are not always what they seem...especially in politics. We argue and debate, but very often miss the nuances and machinations of what is actually going on. Good article....

Quote:
The Wall Street Journal editorial page has joined the growing movement of influential conservatives uniting behind hero wonk Paul Ryan for vice president. “The larger strategic point,” they counsel, “is that Mr. Romney’s best chance for victory is to make this a big election over big issues.” And Ryan is Mr. Big Issues.

But the smaller, more Machiavellian point is that Ryan is Romney’s best chance to diffuse the blame if he loses this election. If Romney chooses the proverbial “incredibly boring white guy” and then goes down in November, conservatives will place the blame squarely on Romney’s shoulders: He was a flip-flopping, Massachusetts Moderate with a cautious campaign and a car elevator. The narrative, in fact, is already set. In July, the Wall Street Journal editorial page accused Romney of “slowly squandering an historic opportunity.” They would simply have to change “squandering” to “squandered.” And Romney knows it.

But if Romney chooses Ryan — if he makes this the “big election over big issues” that the Wall Street Journal editorial page wants — then his loss will be their loss as well. He’ll ...............
More here..
Why do conservatives want Paul Ryan to be vice president?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 07:38 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,718,244 times
A BETTER question is why would ANYONE want to vote for an Obama/BIDEN ticket?

Could you imagine if BIDEN ever got to be President???

Old 08-18-2012, 07:47 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post

You obviously did not read the article or for that matter my comments, but then again, it contained words that you might have needed a dictionary for. Really, if you cannot discuss or debate the contents of the post...why bother?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post

Not even close to the topic of the thread, but I think you have answered the question for all of those on the radical right, "Willard and Ryan are idiots, but I hate Obama! I'm voting (R) just because of that!"

Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
I just find it funny that the GOP's "ideas guy" and point man on the the budget and fiscal discipline is the same guy who voted for TARP, the auto bailout, Medicare prescription drug expansion, the Iraq War, and tax cuts that were not offset with spending cuts. His budget won't balance the budget until 2040. Too funny.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I just find it funny that the GOP's "ideas guy" and point man on the the budget and fiscal discipline is the same guy who voted for TARP, the auto bailout, Medicare prescription drug expansion, the Iraq War, and tax cuts that were not offset with spending cuts. His budget won't balance the budget until 2040. Too funny.
The hard right wing nutcases don't care. They just believe the fodder their propaganda masters tell them and obediently hit (R) at every election like the good sheep they are.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,952 times
Did you ever think the GOP isn't trying to pander? That we chose a ticket to help lead, not because of the political implications? Paul Ryan doesn't make winning this election easy, and he doesn't pander to various interest groups. He was chosen by Mitt to help lead, not to win him this state, or that block of voters. I know that's a strange concept in politics these days.

Obviously we don't want to lose. Why would we plan our ticket expecting to lose and basing the political implications on that. The article asks why do we want Ryan to be Vice President, but then goes on to discuss the issue as if he asked "Why do conservatives want Ryan n the ticket," not even addressing the possibility of Ryan being Vice President. We may very well lose this election. I for one am not sure that Americans are ready to be told the hard truth about our dire fiscal straits. But if we do, we lose it by taking the high road. It doesn't mean Americans reject conservatism - look at 2010 for gosh sakes. Then look at 2008. It's all cyclical, and while the electoral implications are very real, you can't say "Americans reject liberalism" based on 2010 nor can you say "Americans reject conservatism" based on 2012.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Conservatives wanted Ron Paul.

I don't know what you want to call those supporting a self admitted Progressive and a big spender that was for all the bailouts and Tarp. I think someone is redefining Conservative.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I'm conservative and I don't want Romney or Ryan.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm glad he's learned from his mistakes. I don't necessarily have a problem with any of those things on and of themselves (except the auto bailout, I disagreed with that), but the fact that we didn't have the money to pay for those things is what bothers me. But, unlike the other side of the aisle, he has learned from his mistakes and is putting himself on the line, being labeled a monster, right wing extremist, etc, all to try and fix the problems that even he is partially responsible for. I could forgive the left for their prior votes as well if they became equally as serious about fixing the debt. And of course he doesn't balance the budget immediately. I know many on the left still don't understand this, but we are trying to protect entitlements for current beneficiaries. This country made a promise to them, and it's a promise we will keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections