Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,954 times

Advertisements

Not sure about Ryan but Condi didn't use a teleprompter, she only used notes.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
In all honesty, would anything they say make a difference to you? Because I've heard plenty of substance but I'm guessing not the type of substance you want? After all, there's actually very few in this country that don't have set convictions. On this board, you see even less undecided types.
The reason that I am watching the RNC convention is to see if Romney (and/or Ryan) would actually say something that would make me change my mind regarding voting for President Obama. Anything at all. And so far the answer is no. This convention lacks energy and authenticity. There have been zero speakers who have made the case for giving a Republican the White House. They have yet to answer the question: "What would Romney really do that is any different?" And until the GOP can effectively answer that question, there is no need to vote for their candidate.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
One of the best speeches was the Governor of NM, Susana Martinez. Impressive

[url=http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/GOP-speech-puts-NM-governor-in-national-spotlight-3825947.php]GOP speech puts NM governor in national spotlight - SFGate[/url]
Agree. In fact, I thought most all of the speeches I watched were good. Really. However, they didn't say anything about what they plan to do to fix the economy or explain how extending tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans will reduce the deficit. They didn't explain why someone like yours truly who can't get affordable health insurance has to pray every day that she doesn't get too sick before she turns 65. They didn't explain why a fertilized egg is a person, but a hungry child is not.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The reason that I am watching the RNC convention is to see if Romney (and/or Ryan) would actually say something that would make me change my mind regarding voting for President Obama. Anything at all. And so far the answer is no. This convention lacks energy and authenticity. There have been zero speakers who have made the case for giving a Republican the White House. They have yet to answer the question: "What would Romney really do that is any different?" And until the GOP can effectively answer that question, there is no need to vote for their candidate.
I was curious as to your answer. Wasn't picking on you, you just happened to be the last to have that type of response. I guess it's all in what you're looking for and what you're seeing. Me? I see an energetic and younger energy to the GOP. A new emphasis on the larger issues that are genuine problems. But again, I think it is the lens from which you view things. To each their own but thank you for the answer. While I may not agree, it is at least interesting to hear another person's perceptions.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Exactly! I was a Hillary Clinton supporter in 2008 and, as I posted many times in the past, I was thinking about voting for McCain for a while after Obama won the nomination. I didn't know much about Obama, but watching both sides campaign helped me make up my mind.

This year I admit my mind was made up as I watched the Republican debates. I'm only watching the RNC because I like to be informed.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Agree. In fact, I thought most all of the speeches I watched were good. Really. However, they didn't say anything about what they plan to do to fix the economy or explain how extending tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans will reduce the deficit. They didn't explain why someone like yours truly who can't get affordable health insurance has to pray every day that she doesn't get too sick before she turns 65. They didn't explain why a fertilized egg is a person, but a hungry child is not.
I agree, and as to the sentence in bold- great question and well put.

My guess, if there was an honest explanation, would be that not paying for anything involving prenatal care, birth control or women's reproductive health saves money, while feeding a child living in poverty costs money.

We desperately need that money for wars that kill thousands of innocent women, pregnant women, babies, and children who threaten us. Real bang for the buck!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times

Mia Love Speech at Republican National Convention RNC - YouTube

yes!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:01 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
1. She is not a real black woman

2. She must have Stockholm syndrome.

Now that the two liberal thoughts are out of the way, I look forward to seeing her speak.

Did she have to duck the peanuts being thrown at her?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
The only ones criticizing her are blacks who are accusing her of being whatever the female slang is for Uncle Tom. I saw it somewhere but can't remember what it is. Because I don't travel in those circles and never will so there's no need for me to remember the ugly things they say to and about each other.

It's only a certain type of black people we don't like. You know.....the ones always accusing us of doing things like throwing peanuts at them. Mia Love is not one of those types.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Here is what Obama said:

Where is the "lie?" In the statement above, "If you've got a business -- you didn't build that," "that" refers to "business." You didn't build that [business]. He was not saying, "You didn't build roads and bridges." He said, "you didn't build that."

Besides, roads and bridges have nothing to do with the success of a business! Why would they? Business success depends on the activities and actions of those running the business.

What Obama did here was to expose his collectivist [Marxist] philosophy.He was pandering to his union base. This is the same philosophy of unions. They hold that business owners make themselves rich on the backs of "workers" [the term the unions use for employees]. That is, the employers exploit the "workers" and pay them unfair and low wages while they get "rich."

We know the drill. That is what he was doing, and that is why the entrepreneurs who did build that are pushing back.

Obama screwed up. He knows that we know. He's been trying to walk it back ever since. It's not going to work. The cat is out of the bag. Of course, some of us knew what he was back in 2008.
Lies, lies, lies. Here is what Obama said:

Quote:
"There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.
Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House
Basic Adam Smith free-market theory. You should read his work and educate yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And the Internet was built by the private sector. It was not "invented" by the government "so that all the companies could make money off the Internet!" No one was making money off the Internet for some years as it had to be developed to a point where Internet sales were possible. There were many issues that had to be addressed prior to that.
The term "Internet" was first used in the mid 1970s in reference to ARPANET, which laid the foundation for what we today refer to as the Internet and was the first global TCP/IP network. ARPANET was developed by the government and academia. And it's aim was exchange, not profit. Today, free and open source software projects like Linux, which you probably use on a daily basis in your Internet use without even knowing it, is one of the best examples of the difference between an emphasis on exchange rather than simply profit.

Learn your history of technology. Your simplistic understanding of the post-industrial economy is embarrassing.

Last edited by helenejen; 08-29-2012 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections