Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:26 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,089,326 times

Advertisements

The Wrong Side Absolutely Must Not Win - Reason.com

This article really hit the nail on the head. I'm certainly passionate in many of my views, as are many of us here. But I think we need to really put things into perspective for ourselves every once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 05:32 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,683,391 times
What a great piece...the rationale for the great divide...the end of the world if either side is elected!

Something's Happening Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSpO2B6G4s

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 08-21-2012 at 06:20 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,577,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
This article really hit the nail on the head.
Absolutely. I have a hard time imagining the mental framework which would allow someone to enthusiastically cheer while the enemies of Our Side were dragged beneath the blade of the guillotine or bound to the pyre, but whatever it is it must involve some of this kind of thinking. This is how massacres begin, how wars of extermination are spawned.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,690,557 times
Quote:
This article really hit the nail on the head. I'm certainly passionate in many of my views, as are many of us here. But I think we need to really put things into perspective for ourselves every once in a while.
Absolutely. And whenever we see a post from someone who acts like the world is going to end if Their Side doesn't win, we should respond with a link to that article.

I certainly have my preferences and I enjoy arguing for My Side, but as I've matured (hopefully), I've been able to recognize that there are good ideas from both My Side and the Other Side.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:32 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,196,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Absolutely. I have a hard time imagining the mental framework which would allow someone to enthusiastically cheer while the enemies of Our Side were dragged beneath the blade of the guillotine or bound to the pyre, but whatever it is it must involve some of this kind of thinking. This is how massacres begin, how wars of extermination are spawned.
Or, y'know, it's just another form of dumb entertainment designed to keep the rubes distracted.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:38 AM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:

Big difference-

One of the "other sides" has presided over the worst economy since the Great Depression and has failed in his attempt to restore the economy, while incurring massive debt in the process.

This is not a "clean slate" of both sides having "equal merit". Both candidates do not have "equal merit", as one has been in office for four years and failed miserably.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 AM

684 posts, read 825,792 times
I think we can all wholeheartedly agree that The Other Side is a side without merit, utterly devoid of any sense of rationality.

How any thinking person can believe such rubbish as posted by The Other Side when My Side is so clearly the objectively rational side is really beyond the pale.

For those of you on The Other Side, how can you justify the unthinking and cruelly heartless comments by the pundit of the day? You show your true colors, my friends!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,882,143 times
Quote:

It's been awhile since I've laughed out loud reading a political article. It reminded me of the South Park episode that aired right after the 2008 election, where half the population was partying in the streets celebrating the change that was about to happen, and the other half was retreating to their underground bunkers, terrified of the change that was about to happen. And the next morning both sides awaken to essentially the same world as the day before.

Which is what will happen on November 7th, regardless of who wins.

Thanks for posting this, tmsterp. You're right, it's very easy to lose perspective, especially for us political junkies who spend way too much time immersed in the rhetoric.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 08-22-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,882,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Big difference-

One of the "other sides" has presided over the worst economy since the Great Depression and has failed in his attempt to restore the economy, while incurring massive debt in the process.

This is not a "clean slate" of both sides having "equal merit". Both candidates do not have "equal merit", as one has been in office for four years and failed miserably.
LOL. If this post was meant as parody (like the excellent post by TempusFugitive that immediately followed it) it would be hilarious. Actually, now that I think of it, it's even funnier that it's not parody. It perfectly embodies the essence of the article. Well done, hawkeye.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,141,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Big difference-

While there will be those, like HeyJude, who laugh and scoff at your remark, you are right on. Anyone honest with themselves will realize that America needs a change. Obama was supposed to be our Hope and Change in 2008, and if you look at the state of the country, it hasnt gone well. There is no way, no how, that another 4 years of Obama is going to be good for America. No liberal hack can prove other wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections