Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13JERM View Post
Some people would have you believe that the harder you work, the more successful you will be. Your story proves this to be untrue, I would venture to say that the hardest working Americans are usually the most under-paid.
Yeah I guess. But it beats welfare and it sure beats prison. People who insist to work with their hands like me never go very far. But I have no trouble sleeping at night.

I plan to work hard and play hard till i die. I have everything i need, but not all i want.. Oh well.

And a lot of what I want i make, which at times works out better than I expected. It can end in I get sales for the items i won't pay for.

An example is I can't afford most items for my life time hobby of being an American Fur Trade trapper / characters. So I make all the clothing from book learning and all the tools too.

So a decent hunters blade of the time will cost over 100 bucks and I just learned to make mine. But then it was sold because some peope don't know when to quite upping the offer So I made more and more and more until i was sick of making more, but these days it is probably a good idea that I go make more again.

I do this with other things too like 'Trade Silver' and my wife had best not fall out of a boat in her dress! Look that up on google but not for any site of mine.. never the less you can see things now mostly long gone and forgotten, with value still.

At this point in time there is very little of any real value unless it is investment in land.. A point comes where wealth is just another sickness though and no one I know can take any thing of value with them into the next life. I am not particularly religious, but i am convinced there are circles, so there has to be another life or the circles would be broken.

Mostly what I want no money can buy peace, love and quiet, and every last mountain in NH

It's a good bet you and no one else care about what I think, but it's still worth the try....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM

371 posts, read 443,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yeah I guess. But it beats welfare and it sure beats prison. People who insist to work with their hands like me never go very far. But I have no trouble sleeping at night.

I plan to work hard and play hard till i die. I have everything i need, but not all i want.. Oh well.

Mostly what I want no money can buy peace, love and quiet, and every last mountain in NH

It's a good bet you and no one else care about what I think, but it's still worth the try....
I agree with you 100%. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:10 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
Some of you posters should watch how far you jump to conclusions, you may twist an ankle.

Quote:
Hmmm... A business owner posting in a political forum in the middle of the day on a Thursday? That is suspicious... What are you doing to earn YOUR salary, and are you one of the execs who is paid 380x as much as your average worker?

I will address this in your order. In the middle of the day while posting previously I was at a building supply store waiting 20-30 minutes for a forklift to bring the materials I ordered to the trailer. I have a smart phone and a tablet, so occassionally I will kill time on the internet while waiting. Not all business owners are sitting in an office all day, especially in contracting work.

What do I do to earn my salary? Are you even serious? I invested my personal money to start a company using contacts and skills mustered over several years. I put together the tools, the vehicles, the licensing, the insurance, the paperwork (endless paperwork!), built a website, trained a couple new employees and tapped a couple long time friends with related experience to lead them. I did it all over the course of a couple years acquiring zero debt. Any extra money from a job went to bettering the business. I took no significant money until everything was in place. I took and continue to take all the risk, and since I have a nice career aside from (and the reason for this business) inspecting buildings and houses, I am more generous with my labor rates, taking less money for myself. I analyze every job, write every quote, handle logistics for every job. What do you do to earn YOUR salary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
And how much does that 15 bucks an hour produce for you? What about HC? Lots of back problems for a lifetime ditch digger I suspect. How many employees have made it to say 40 in your company and the ones who didn't who pays for them now that they have broken bodies?
$15/hr is a starting point, and they do not stay there long. They also do not continue to dig for decades, they learn the more technical side of the job and move into those positions. French drains are not even remotely all we do. The only people in the range of 40 in my company is myself and a couple supervisors. We have not been around long enough for someone that started in the early 20's to have reached 40 yet. I am 40, and still jump in and dig from time to time, it is no big deal....unless you never worked hard in the past. A desk jockey is not likely to jump in and dig for any extended period of time, their bodies are not conditioned to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Are you serious? The man provides jobs and for doing so you make him a bad guy.
Kids dig ditches, as they learn they move up the ladder and install product or sell. Thats the way it works in the real world.

I appreciate someone seeing it for what it is, a stepping stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
It looks as if he thinks you could give a red brick a job and the brick should get 6 figures...
I think you may have misread my post...I do not believe that at all.

Quote:
Another thing where is paying this 15 bucks? Is it in the south? If not then 15 bucks is not that much. Business owners need to man up to some of their BS also. They let the tax payer supplement their employees wayyyy to much. Do any of his workers have to get foodstamps or medicaid? Do thier children eat free lunch? Lets have an honest discussion about job creators shall we?
http://buylikebuffett.com/making-mon...oney-than-you/
Yes, in Raleigh, NC. I could get employees all day at $11/hr if I chose to. I do not. Since I have no need for expensive advertising, I pass that on in savings to the client, and more money to my employees. It is a marathon, not a sprint. My goals are to supplement my income, and set up perpetual income for the day I can retire. I made about the same as my top employee in salary and distribution, and noone is on assistance of any kind that I am aware of, but that is a personal issue and not really my business.

Quote:
Some people would have you believe that the harder you work, the more successful you will be. Your story proves this to be untrue, I would venture to say that the hardest working Americans are usually the most under-paid.
It is not only working hard, but working smart. Learning and then mastering is the long term key; working hard is for building career momentum. We do have a top heavy financial reward towards mental prowess, but that is beyond my control. I cannot pay my guys $50 hour because the market would not bear it, and I would be out of business. A business owner only has so much leeway to either be cheap or generous.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Some of you posters should watch how far you jump to conclusions, you may twist an ankle.

I will address this in your order. In the middle of the day while posting previously I was at a building supply store waiting 20-30 minutes for a forklift to bring the materials I ordered to the trailer. I have a smart phone and a tablet, so occassionally I will kill time on the internet while waiting. Not all business owners are sitting in an office all day, especially in contracting work.

What do I do to earn my salary? Are you even serious? I invested my personal money to start a company using contacts and skills mustered over several years. I put together the tools, the vehicles, the licensing, the insurance, the paperwork (endless paperwork!), built a website, trained a couple new employees and tapped a couple long time friends with related experience to lead them. I did it all over the course of a couple years acquiring zero debt. Any extra money from a job went to bettering the business. I took no significant money until everything was in place. I took and continue to take all the risk, and since I have a nice career aside from (and the reason for this business) inspecting buildings and houses, I am more generous with my labor rates, taking less money for myself. I analyze every job, write every quote, handle logistics for every job. What do you do to earn YOUR salary?

$15/hr is a starting point, and they do not stay there long. They also do not continue to dig for decades, they learn the more technical side of the job and move into those positions. French drains are not even remotely all we do. The only people in the range of 40 in my company is myself and a couple supervisors. We have not been around long enough for someone that started in the early 20's to have reached 40 yet. I am 40, and still jump in and dig from time to time, it is no big deal....unless you never worked hard in the past. A desk jockey is not likely to jump in and dig for any extended period of time, their bodies are not conditioned to it.

I appreciate someone seeing it for what it is, a stepping stone.

I think you may have misread my post...I do not believe that at all.

Yes, in Raleigh, NC. I could get employees all day at $11/hr if I chose to. I do not. Since I have no need for expensive advertising, I pass that on in savings to the client, and more money to my employees. It is a marathon, not a sprint. My goals are to supplement my income, and set up perpetual income for the day I can retire. I made about the same as my top employee in salary and distribution, and noone is on assistance of any kind that I am aware of, but that is a personal issue and not really my business.

It is not only working hard, but working smart. Learning and then mastering is the long term key; working hard is for building career momentum. We do have a top heavy financial reward towards mental prowess, but that is beyond my control. I cannot pay my guys $50 hour because the market would not bear it, and I would be out of business. A business owner only has so much leeway to either be cheap or generous.
So you started and had all this success under Obama and now you want him out? Interesting

Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
A decade of Romney policy? Well, according to his history, his business record is "sterling", his time in MA was successful and his leadership in the 2002 Winter Olympics saved face for this country.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
So you started and had all this success under Obama and now you want him out? Interesting
As I mentioned, success does not come from politicians or legislation, it is a mindset. If following your trail however, I would have to credit all the way back to Reagan when my grandfather began the inspection business that eventually led to the creation of my current business. We did not suddenly become a successful operation in the last 3.5 years. Overall, the inspection business is down about 40% from 2007 as we are directly related to the housing market. On the other hand, the crawlspace business is way up because more people are staying put in their homes and fixing what they have. I do not blame Obama, or Bush for the market downturn. It took so many factors, from so many people, that it would be idiotic to place blame on such a narrow target. I have never been one for blaming anyway. I have no need to wait around for someone else to solve my problems.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Crickets, go figure.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Crickets, go figure.
Give us a chance. I don't sit around on the computer all day You sound like a legit employer. One of a small few. Many just pay slave wages and let the state supplement their employees than complain about taxes. Those are the ones I have issue with.
You sound like an asset to your community so best of luck to you.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Romney policies didnt do that. The poor acting like they were middle class did that.
Wanna be pissed, be pissed at people who gave bus drivers $450,000 mortgages.

Then bundled them and sold them as AAA investments.

But that's ok, because the gubmit bailed them out.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Give us a chance. I don't sit around on the computer all day You sound like a legit employer. One of a small few. Many just pay slave wages and let the state supplement their employees than complain about taxes. Those are the ones I have issue with.
You sound like an asset to your community so best of luck to you.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections