Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Black men were denied the priesthood in the Mormon church until 1978. Pretty hard to refute that for anything but it was: racism, pure and simple.
That was 35 years ago. So, a religion "REVISES" it's doctrine, but because it "ONCE" had a racial restriction, it is to be condemned for all time..... How very tolerant of you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
That was 35 years ago. So, a religion "REVISES" it's doctrine, but because it "ONCE" had a racial restriction, it is to be condemned for all time..... How very tolerant of you!!
One of the many reasons why I don't believe in any religion.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
It's quaint how you think that getting rid of the formal restriction automatically changes the mindset that allowed for that restriction in the first place.

Now would you like to defend women being denied the priesthood?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
It's quaint how you think that getting rid of the formal restriction automatically changes the mindset that allowed for that restriction in the first place.

Now would you like to defend women being denied the priesthood?
I'm not Mormon... Are you?? Do the mormons object to their current policy? It's not my place to infringe on their religion or their beliefs. The mindset that allowed the restriction is from a past generation. Time heals and the leadership of that generation has long since been buried. Will you ever bury your resentment? How many female Rabbis do you know? Catholic priests? So the Mormon religion alone is to be chastised? Your partisan politics are showing.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not Mormon... Are you?? Do the mormons object to their current policy? It's not my place to infringe on their religion or their beliefs. The mindset that allowed the restriction is from a past generation. Time heals and the leadership of that generation has long since been buried.
Yeah, good thing that racism died in 1964 with the Civil Rights Act. The racist mindset just went poof, easy peasy.

Quote:
Will you ever bury your resentment? How many female Rabbis do you know? Catholic priests? So the Mormon religion alone is to be chastised? Your partisan politics are showing.
Why do you deflect? The post that I responded to was clearly about the Mormon church. Just because lots of churches do bad, bigoted things, doesn't make it better by the way.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I actually posted this interview in PO&C because I found it so good. But it appears my headline writing skills aren't as good as Rik. No matter.

Listen to the interview--Owens is articulate and has an amazing message (and an E-book that sounds intriguing). He is knowledgable of history, and in his book traces the politics back to WEB DuBois. What difference does it make what Owens NFL stats are, or even what his religious beliefs are? As Owens alludes, I beleive we're at the beginning of an evolutionary cycle. People like Owens, Allen West, etc. are the early adopters, but mark my words, this is a movement that is going to explode in the coming years. If you take the issue of school choice alone (Owens says he writes about this in his book) Dems are going to have a tough time holding onto that 95% support AND keeping the teachers' unions happy.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, good thing that racism died in 1964 with the Civil Rights Act. The racist mindset just went poof, easy peasy.

But you "assume" that racism is prevelent in the Mormon church today without any relevent facts displaying it.

Why do you deflect? The post that I responded to was clearly about the Mormon church. Just because lots of churches do bad, bigoted things, doesn't make it better by the way.
It's not a deflection, it's a comparison. Would you chastise a Catholic or a Jew because of his or her religious preference? Is it just easier to chastise someones religion than it would be to condemn their political principles? I think the latter.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
It's not a deflection, it's a comparison. Would you chastise a Catholic or a Jew because of his or her religious preference? Is it just easier to chastise someones religion than it would be to condemn their political principles? I think the latter.
Yes, I chastise Catholics for supporting the marginalized position of women in the church, and I am Catholic. If you don't think it would bother some black people that Romney is from a church were black discrimination was openly practiced until almost 1980, I think you are mistaken. At least the Catholic church had already broken that barrier by 1886. And around 1850 or so for the first mixed-race priest.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Blacks need to start voting independent. But with Obama and Romney as the only options for the next president, people are in a lose-lose situation.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Blacks need to start voting independent. But with Obama and Romney as the only options for the next president, people are in a lose-lose situation.
We ALL need to start voting independent frankly!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections