Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Roberts had nothing to do with why people are talking about Michelle Obama's body instead of her speech.
Yes it does. I'm so disappointed about the Republicans giving us over to the government that now I care about topics as stupid as Michelle Obama's weight.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 09-05-2012 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This was a great line from The First Lady's speech...

...And he believes that when you've worked hard, and done well, and walked through that doorway of opportunity . you do not slam it shut behind you. You reach back, and you give other folks the same chances that helped you succeed.
Wonderful sentiment. Belief in that sentiment is a major difference between Democrats and Republicans.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 PM

489 posts, read 621,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's complicated? You argue that the laws on the books are "grounded in the 10 commandments". I point out that the First Commandment ("Thou shalt have no other gods before me", for those keeping score at home) doesn't mesh with the First Amendment (the entire "free exercise of religion" thing).

In other words, the "laws on the books" are in direct contradiction to the very first of the 10 commandments. I am perfectly within my rights to worship Baal if it suits me. I can also take the Lord's name in vain, work on the sabbath, and while I never quite got the bit about graven images, I'm fairly certain nobody has ever been prosecuted for it, although I'm willing to be corrected on that point. I think you'll find the first 4 or so aren't in the lawbooks at all.

Every single historic society - including those who never heard of the 10 commandments - have had some sort of rules against "murder, fraud, battery and assault". And every society that progressed to having actual codified laws implemented those rules in some form or other.
Ok...I see what you are saying. That is interesting. I wan't taking it quite to that extreme though. It might have been more accurate if I had said that our laws are informed by a Judeo-Christian worldview and left it at that. And of course, I am all for freedom of religion. I was just trying to point out that every Nation legislates their morality. Our morality is changing as a Nation....it is drifting from the God of the Bible and becoming more....pagan. That is beginning to affect our laws. The morals of a Nation change, and the laws will follow.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Two words, Rush Limbaugh. End of discussion on this topic

LOL! It is amazing the stuff people will say when they are brainwashed.

One day I was researching scandinavian history and I ended up on Stormfront (yea, I know...stupid). Anyhow, I saw a gorgeous picture of Scarlett Johansson. Savoring that, I read the comment below. Something like "Look at those disgusting piggy Jewish eyes, she is an example of a ruined Arian!!!!" or something like that. I about whizzed my pants laughing. Yea, if Scarlett ruined the Arian race, she did it major favor...such a dog...

And Michelle is such a cow....I'd so rather look at Karl Rove...in a speedo....LOL!

Yeah, do some more crack if you like, but as someone with eyes to see, I'll help you. Michelle Obama is a smart, warm, very attractive American woman. Barack is a lucky dog.

From what I gather, she also gave a hell of a speech.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No more years.

Hilarious - the Democrats want four more years of unemployment, rising debt, loss of prestige in the world, and a increasingly intrusive government.

I will vote for jobs, a cap on debt growth, American exceptionalism, and liberty.

I will vote for Mitt Romney.

Apparently people singing the praises of the DNC don't live in North Carolina ... North Carolina is the state with the fifth-highest unemployment in the country ... which probably won't be mentioned at the convention in Charlotte.

In addition ... our National Debt hit $16 TRILLION today. I doubt this will be mentioned at the convention either.

We definitely need change in November.

I have a wide load too but now I know it's just a thick butt.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Now the Democrats have dropped the mention of "God" from their party platform.

I guess it was inevitable, considering the increasing numbers of His teachings and ideas they oppose.

-------------------------------------

Exclusive: Democrats Drop 'God' From Party Platform

Exclusive: Democrats Drop 'God' From Party Platform

Guess what? God’s name has been removed from the Democratic National Committee platform.

This is the paragraph that was in the 2008 platform:

“We need a government that stands up for the hopes, values, and interests of working people, and gives everyone willing to work hard the chance to make the most of their God-given potential.â€

Now the words “God-given†have been removed. The paragraph has been restructured to say this:

“We gather to reclaim the basic bargain that built the largest middle class and the most prosperous nation on Earth – the simple principle that in America, hard work should pay off, responsibility should be rewarded, and each one of us should be able to go as far as our talent and drive take us.â€

The Brody File has calls into DNC to explain why God’s name has been dropped from the platform. Some critics will suggest that when you have planks in your platform that support abortion rights and gay marriage then it's no wonder that God's name would be dropped as well.
Its just that the liberals have since Obama tok over the antional commitee from the Clinton centralist become anti-religious..Its not been any great secret lokig at the enemies list that Obama has clearly denounced.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Apparently people singing the praises of the DNC don't live in North Carolina ... North Carolina is the state with the fifth-highest unemployment in the country ... which probably won't be mentioned at the convention in Charlotte.

In addition ... our National Debt hit $16 TRILLION today. I doubt this will be mentioned at the convention either.

About that change you refer to, just out of curiosity, which of the Romney/Ryan plans would help you/your state out the most?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Just like the RNC didn't address our pending currency crisis the DNC will not address it either. The DNC is on a run to raid, pilfer and re-distribute as much as possible before the petro-dollar goes the way of the dinosaur.

If this nation is to recover it must become a producer of goods again. The debt driven economy based on consumerism is dying and neither party is willing to address that. Obama & Co. look forward to this nation's collapse because of Obama's anti-colonialist perspective.

Neither party wants people to pay attention to how this country will be turned upside down overnight when the petro-dollar fails along with our debt driven economy. China will overnight become the world's reserve currency and super-power while the people of this nation struggle in a way which will make the Great Depression look like a cake-walk.

That is what the DNC and RNC both should have been talking about. The hard truth that is about to happen as Obama drives this nation and its economy over the cliff.

Unfortunately Ronald Reagan didn't run this time, but we're not too far off with Ryan.

If Romney has the courage to really go after deficit spending and restore the US dollar's value, as his VP pick would suggest, we might make some progress.

I'm not looking for a repeat of 1984, but progress is progress and I'll take what I can get with Romney/Ryan rather than hope for economically illiterate Obama to change.

At least Romney understands the need for a strong dollar.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post

Well, you are always welcome in the Democratic Party. We have a big tent...! It's all good.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, you are always welcome in the Democratic Party. We have a big tent...! It's all good.
She said that we need change in Novemeber. And not the change that people are left with as a result of Barack Obama taxing the middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections