Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:23 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It was all foods. I am certainly not going to say he would try and add a tax to foods throughout the country, I am simply pointing out, he may be one that would help see our taxes go up, not down. I will add, I don't think any candidate is perfect and one issue would not influence me one way or the other. I just know thiis something most would never know about.
Agreed, and thanks for the first hand perspective, that is always hugely helpful.

In regards to his tax plan he supports the "fair tax" which I'm not a huge fan of, but it would abolish the IRS so there is that one positive. It also addresses limiting taxes on "basic necessities" which would include food. I think the fair tax is supposed to be more cut and dry and would eliminate a lot of the gamesmanship while putting everyone on a level playing field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Our foreign policy is psychopathic, and one of the major reasons to vote against the GOP murderers.
Is the GOP the party that is currently zipping around foreign countries killing mothers, children, and other innocent people incrementally with drone attacks? Both parties are major offenders in this category of being trigger happy war hawks.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Is the GOP the party that is currently zipping around foreign countries killing mothers, children, and other innocent people incrementally with drone attacks? Both parties are major offenders in this category of being trigger happy war hawks.
The GOP runs on an explicit policy of embracing militarism as a permanent way of life.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The GOP runs on an explicit policy of embracing militarism as a permanent way of life.
This isn't the place for that debate, but its BOTH parties. Don't forget that Obama had(has) us in Uganda, Libya, and Yemen. Hundreds of drone attacks and missles being fired off shore into countries. These are acts of war...both parties have become dependent on the everlasting war. The democrat versions just have not been as big...yet.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:25 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,109 times
What amazes me about libertarians is not realizing that guys like Gary Johnson have no shot at being president. Democrats and Republicans can't agree on just about anything, except making sure libertarians dont run this country. You saw what happen to this country when we have deregulation, what makes you think a survival of the fittest like environment is going to be better?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I voted for the libertarian candidate for president once - in 2000. Never again - our national security is too important to trust to isolationists.

Libertarians are fine in state offices - where their laissez-faire policies are beneficial to business and the economy.
Yeah because taking away our civil liberties, ignoring the Constitution, and inciting hatred and violence against us by constant interference all over the globe really enhances our national security...

Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yes - because our national security is dependent on geo-political realities outside our own borders. As for the war on terror - fighting al Qaeda in their backyard rather then ours is a good thing. We need to be able to project our military to parts of the world where our national security interests are threatened. Not doing so leaves us with only nuclear warfare as a viable option if Iran, for instance goes off the deep end - and I most certainly hope that you don't want us to be forced to go that route.

Currently, maintaining stability in the Middle East remains a paramount priority - as does keeping terrorism at bay, and promoting the well being of our allies in the region. I don't trust the Libertarian Party to do what is neccesary to maintain peace in the world. Look what happened when President Harding pursued "normalcy" which was essentially an isolationist policy - Japan took advantage of our complacency to ramp up their military and pursue dominance in East Asia and you know what Germany did once it placed a leader who could unify various factions, at the top of their government(spare me the Godwins Law invocation). Both those nations got slighted at Versailles - can you blame them for being so angry at their treatment? You can - but the ire is at least understandable.

Peace must be kept from a basis of strength - something that the Libertarian Party does not understand.
When will neocons ever understand that we wouldn't be fighting Al-Qaeda if we didn't have noses in everyone's business all the time? They don't hate us because we're rich and free, they hate us because we are over there in their "backyard!" Why don't they attack Norway, Switzerland, or Sweden?

I'm always amazed at the split personality of neocons and their ability to hold conflicting ideas simultaneously is astounding. A typical war mongerer will say "the government is bad and government intervention in the market place will lead to disaster so we need to shrink government!" Then the next breath they'll ascribe almost divine powers to the federal government when it comes to foreign policy. If the government is not fit to run the market here why do you believe we can meddle in every other nation on earth with out any unintended consequences?

Interventions like yourself fall into the same trap that liberals do and it's amazing to me. A liberal will see a problem, like income inequality and ask for government intervention. Eventually he gets his wish and the problem is "solved." Except the law of unintended consequences kicks in and the government meddling either makes the problem worse or creates another problem. This leads to further calls for more government intervention to correct these new problems. And the government intervenes, and something else goes wrong, and on and on and on the cycle turns.

This same thing happens to warhawks. They see a problem somewhere in the world so they send troops in to over throw the "bad guy" and put in their own "good guy." Well that meddling pisses off a group of people so we've now made enemies so they attack us. Then we attack and kill them thus radicalizing their children and fellow country men. At some point our "good guy" becomes a bad guy so we must over throw him and install new "gooder guys" who are much better than the old "good guys." So now we're at war with a foreign government and foreign terror cells and those wars are expensive and we bleed American blood and treasure on foreign sands.

Government intervention never leads to anything but more headaches. Warhawks and liberals would be wise to learn about the law of unintended consequences. Neocons and liberals will always plead good and pure intentions for their big government but their good intentions are paving the road to a hell of our own making. You can't be pro-war and be for small government. War is the health of the state. Warfare and welfare are two sides of the same coin. Warfare leads to the "Patriot" Act, the NDAA, warrantless wiretapping, massive debt, more war, torture, etc. I'll never understand "small government" warhawks.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM

As for Gary Johnson...I'll probably end up voting for him in November. I don't vote for who I think can "win" I vote for whose policies, beliefs, and actions line up with my principles.
Quote:
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.-John Quincy Adams.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Agreed, and thanks for the first hand perspective, that is always hugely helpful.

In regards to his tax plan he supports the "fair tax" which I'm not a huge fan of, but it would abolish the IRS so there is that one positive. It also addresses limiting taxes on "basic necessities" which would include food. I think the fair tax is supposed to be more cut and dry and would eliminate a lot of the gamesmanship while putting everyone on a level playing field.
I am in favor of a fair tax but I think it will take a lot of planning and isn't as simple as some night think.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am in favor of a fair tax but I think it will take a lot of planning and isn't as simple as some night think.
Yeah, and unfortunately people want 'easy' and 'short term' solutions regardless if they are the best option or not, nobody is willing to take the hard path it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections