Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Do the elderly drive on the roads? Use medical services? Fly? Everyone uses and benefits from the services provided by the government.

We need to recognize that we can't continue to exclude a larger and larger portion of the population from contributing to the funding of the systems we all benefit from.

When I was growing up my pop used to tell me "I'm paying the bills, I make the rules." We shouldn't be surprised that the small percentage of the people who pay the bills (including myself) want to make the darn rules.

When I was 18 I decided the Navy would free me from pop's rules. I traded one set for another.
So get rid of democracy then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 PM

88,988 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Yes, he did personally attack a lot of people who typically vote GOP. Some will not vote for him because of the attack on their integrity.
Go ahead and re-elect Obama and force him to wear the albatross (disastrous domestic and foreign policies, stagnant economy) he's created for another 4 years. After that, no one will elect another Dem president for at least a generation.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
So get rid of democracy then?
Yes, apparently he wants an oligarchy.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 PM

88,988 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, not at all. I'd reconcile that 95% of the 47% believe they actually pay federal (and state) income taxes, even when they get a full refund.
Yep. No one thinks they are a leech. Obama's campaign would have to convince them that they are parasites in order to gain votes from this. How many of them are likely to agree that they are in fact leeches? Not many. They will, instead, falsely think that they pay federal income tax. They may even grow to resent those who don't pay, never realizing that it is themselves.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Honestly he really shot himself with this one. I am not saying it is castastrophic but it comes at a time when he is already down in swing state polls and the math is not looking good for him. Barring unforseen things or an Obama disaster in the debates, I think Romney is pretty much done for. There is a very real possibility he may lose Florida and Ohio which would pretty much be the election.
I've been saying that if Obama/Romney went 65/35 on Intrade, the election is likely over. That threshold has been hit.

If it hits 70/30, it is definitely over barring a huge gaffe or scandal by Obama.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,286 times
The striking thing to me is how relaxed he seems in the leaked video, compared to his response at his press conference.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,862,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then you're not one of the 51% who pay no federal income tax and Romney wasn't talking about you.

And if you're so wild about paying down the debt we've accumulated from supporting freeloaders, you're free to pay extra, you know. Instructions for making your extra payment:
Government - Instructions for donating to reduce the Public Debt
I don't care what Romney thinks or any other politician. It doesn't make a difference as far as the election.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sure, so what does that bring that percentage down to now? And while we are at it, we should subtract the elderly and this disable too. So we are now at what? 15%? 20%?

You want to leave the troops out of it because that statement is really looking bad for Mittens, and we all know it.

The solution is simple.

Increase E-1 pay to $50K/yr and let them pay taxes on that.

Do you agree with my solution, or do you hate our men and women in uniform?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,945,815 times
Default You may be one of the 47% if:

Apparently, you can be rich and be part of the 47% who did not pay taxes. You could also be retired living on social security, working poor, in the military, in college, or a large corporation.

Pity, that Romney does not care about any of these people.

Charts: You Might Be the 47 Percent If

http://www.motherjones.com/files/ima...ey20-final.jpg

Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Apparently, you can be rich and be part of the 47% who did not pay taxes. You could also be retired living on social security, working poor, in the military, in college, or a large corporation.

Pity, that Romney does not care about any of these people.

Charts: You Might Be the 47 Percent If

I've never liked the idea of taxing income.

Why tax a productive activity when there are so many unproductive things to tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections