Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 PM

18 posts, read 42,884 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to start an argument or be negative... but I have really wondered why Republicans seem to continually vote against their best interests. I will say that I'm not greatly versed in politics nor am I able to express my opinions on politics well, but I would really like to have a "discussion" on why "well-informed" republicans vote the way they do? Can anyone help me actually "understand" why... not the Fox News sound bites, but actually and honestly why you see things the way you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Because some people are not selfish and short sighted, so to you what may be "voting in their best interest" might be something that they don't see as a long term and bigger picture benefit as a whole.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM

865 posts, read 623,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
I'm not trying to start an argument or be negative... but I have really wondered why Republicans seem to continually vote against their best interests. I will say that I'm not greatly versed in politics nor am I able to express my opinions on politics well, but I would really like to have a "discussion" on why "well-informed" republicans vote the way they do? Can anyone help me actually "understand" why... not the Fox News sound bites, but actually and honestly why you see things the way you do?
You need to clarify what you mean by "vote against their best interests." Maybe they feel that voting Democrat is to "vote against their best interests".

Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
I think some of it is cultural and regional for either party--for instance, if you grow up in a deeply republican area in the south, and everyone you know is a republican, then it's harder to stand out from the crowd and support something different, because it means arguing with your friends and your neighbors when you talk politics. When you combine the far rights focus on social issues with evangelical christian beliefs, it adds another layer to the equation. I think the cultural and religious issues are a huge part of of the issue in many small towns and rural parts of the country. Some of it may also be not having the ability to sort out complex issues and information. I'm absolutely NOT saying that all low income people are stupid--some are well educated and choose careers that don't pay well, and some are very bright and never have the opportunity to get an education, but there is also a certain percentage of the population that's poor because they didn't win the genetic lottery in the smarts department, and they're doing the best they can to just survive. They don't understand the complexity of many of the issues that impact them.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
God, guns, and gays. That and a complete disregard for what is actually in their own self interest. In short, they're stupid people.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,382 times
According to most folks on the Left, the reason is because they believe that those who vote Republican it is because he has been bamboozled, hoodwinked and led astray by GOP talking points on social issues, such as same-sex marriage, affirmative action, illegal immigration and abortion. In your post you call it "against their own interest"

When working-class people vote conservative, as most do in the US, they are not voting against their self-interest; they are voting for their moral interest of both themselves and the country. They are voting for the party that serves to them a more satisfying morality. Believe it or not there are people who prefer to take care of themselves and pay their way and people who want the country to do well economically.

God bless America where we are free. DON'T ever take that freedom for granted.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
God, guns, and gays. That and a complete disregard for what is actually in their own self interest. In short, they're stupid people.
Geez...55M registered Republicans in the country and this chunk of them are all dumb? I suggest you find a mirror my friend.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
You forgot to mention "ethnic peoples". That's still a biggie down my way.

My hardshell Baptist relatives will probably vote Romney, but there is no enthusiasm whatsoever since he is a heathen and going to hell. Obama's race is what will drive them to vote, period.

BTW - I have only seen two Romney stickers on cars in my morning commute this week. When Bush ran, the cars looked like bulletin boards with all the stickers.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
thanks for reminding everybody about obama's own moment of insulting the voters:

Barack Obama's small town guns and religion comments - YouTube

he even singled out the midwest.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:23 PM

730 posts, read 828,227 times
what direct benefit does the middle class get from taxation? unless you are poor, disabled, in the military, or a senior citizen, does it really matter whether the top tax rate is 39 or 38%? middle class people want a job and retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections