Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,090,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Why would ANY company need to hire ANYONE on an exact date?

That is absolutely a RIDICULOUS excuse!

There is nothing "magical" about November 1st.

Are you telling me that the company could not survive waiting just one more week without a new CEO?

This entire thing is a political move ... and nothing more !!!
Ask them, not me. That's when their old CEOs retirement became effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,926,689 times
Quote:
Why would ANY company need to hire ANYONE on an exact date?

That is absolutely a RIDICULOUS excuse!

There is nothing "magical" about November 1st.

Are you telling me that the company could not survive waiting just one more week without a new CEO?

This entire thing is a political move ... and nothing more !!!
It is obviously a ridiculous excuse. Does anyone really think that a company wouldn't be williing to wait for a new CEO that had possibly just orchestrated a winning presidential campaign and would have a personal connection to the new administration? Especially if that company was in the business of extracting favors from politicians.

It would have been better to just go with the old standby "wanted to spend more time with family".

Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,090,761 times
Quote:

If this company really "wanted him" for their CEO, they would be willing to wait until after the election was over.
Exactly my point. They didn't wait, so obviously they were open to other candidates. He was wise to jump at the opportunity. He's not the first guy with name recognition.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,926,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
What? No. I edited my post to talk about what I did this one time for Romney, but that's not something I actively do, which is what you asked me. But I decided to state it anyway since I believe in transparency.
In this single thread you have now said that you don't work as a volunteer for the Romney campaign, said that you do work as a volunteer for the Romney campaign and are now attempting to go back to the original claim that you have never worked for the Romney campaign. Which is the truth?

It appears that Mitt has taught you well young padawan.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,996,986 times
Quote:
Exactly my point. They didn't wait, so obviously they were open to other candidates. He was wise to jump at the opportunity. He's not the first guy with name recognition.
To me, this is Pawlenty giving up hope on any chance of Romney winning.

Otherwise he'd be willing to wait until after the election was over.

And the company hiring him would be willing to wait as well. Any company can use a temporary CEO until a permanent one is hired.

I also think his name recognition would carry a lot more weight than most, especially if he had personal connections to the White House.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM

1,196 posts, read 840,921 times
Quote:
To me, this is Pawlenty giving up hope on any chance of Romney winning.
Or he knows Romney is the next POTUS and he wants to cash in on being the guy who has the ear of the POTUS

Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,725,717 times
Sounds to me as if this is a great new job for him that will certainly pay better than being a campaign guy.

He's been looking for a private sector job since dropping out of politics.

And this one is a GREAT one.

I am happy for the man.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,108,165 times
Quote:
That's a fair argument, but he would still have had to resign from the campaign before the election even in that case. Why would he put Romney through having to replace him 5 days before the election, the most crucial week of this entire election season?
Oh puleeze 2.0

Campaign chairpersons are ceremonial positions they have little to do with the day to day operation of a campaign and they especially don't serve in a functionary capacity, hell they aren't even mentioned on the Romney's website nor do they get top billing on any listing of campaign staff.

I will bet a $1 million virtual dollars that Pawlenty resigned as a result of internal conflicts within the campaign and this is the cover story to explain his departure. There isn't a lobbying firm on the face of the planet that is going to set such a ridiculous deadline for hiring a former governor whose has been a major player in the Republican Party.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,434,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh puleeze 2.0

Campaign chairpersons are ceremonial positions they have little to do with the day to day operation of a campaign and they especially don't serve in a functionary capacity, hell they aren't even mentioned on the Romney's website nor do they get top billing on any listing of campaign staff.

I will bet a $1 million virtual dollars that Pawlenty resigned as a result of internal conflicts within the campaign and this is the cover story to explain his departure. There isn't a lobbying firm on the face of the planet that is going to set such a ridiculous deadline for hiring a former governor whose has been a major player in the Republican Party.
Only ceremonial? Not so. Chairpersons actively raise funds for their candidate from first to last, and act as intermediaries who introduce the candidate to possible supporter and officials the candidate has not met.

Virtual dollars? That's not much of a bet. But I agree- Pawlenty quit while the quitting was still good. He wants to put as much distance as he can between Mitt and him. I would too, considering Romney will get whipped as bad as Dukakis in '88.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:29 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,959,289 times
I guess Pawlenty has realized that the odds of there being a Romney Administration for him to serve in are about as long as his odds of being picked as the next Pope...

(Pope Tim I!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections