Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,249,033 times

Advertisements

The Supreme court already ruled Social Security was constitutional.

Non stop liberal bull ****..

It must be terrible that your candidate sucks so bad, that you have to lie about the opponents position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
No, technically social security is not voluntary. You may choose not to receive benefits, but you cannot choose not to pay. Please cite me something on your proposition. There are some instances where an employee does not have to pay, but it is not because they opted out. Where do you guys come up with this stuff.
Yes you can choose not to pay into it. I havent paid into it for 12 years..

Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,975,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Social Security was declared constitutional by the Supreme Court years ago.
Yes, in I believe 1937. What is your point? The Supreme court also found unconstitutional Laws declaring it illegal to have an abortion. Both rulings can be overturned by a simple majority of the Supreme Court. If Romney were elected, they would have a more conservative supreme court if one of the two more liberal justices retire or die, which is expected.

Last edited by hotair2; 10-01-2012 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, in I believe 1937. What is your point? The Supreme court also found unconstitutional Laws declaring it illegal to have an abortion. Both rulings can be overturned by a simple majority of the Supreme Court. If Romney were elected, they would have a more conservative supreme court if one of the two more liberal justices retire or die, which is expected.
presidents dont send laws to the Supreme Court for a ruling

I'd be embarassed to have to lie and spread fear about an opponent in order to defeat him..

Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
presidents dont send laws to the Supreme Court for a ruling

I'd be embarassed to have to lie and spread fear about an opponent in order to defeat him..
I'm embarrassed that you have to lie as well.

President's appoint supreme court justices. Any law can be challenged for constitutionality by anyone with standing and a case and controversy. The Supreme Court, in most cases, can decide to hear the challenge or not. Did you not learn this in college? Ask for your money back.

I will wait while you go to Wikipedia to look up Constitutional law.

Last edited by hotair2; 10-01-2012 at 04:23 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 04:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,132,115 times
Quote:
If Romney wins, expect Social Security to be found unconstitutional. I can't imagine any other result if it is found to be unconstitutional other than the checks would have to stop going out and the tax would be found unconstitutional and stopped as well.
In 1937 the Supreme Court ruled Social Security to be Constitutional Romney's election to the presidency, not the Supreme Court, is going to do away with that 75 year old precedent?

Old 10-01-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In 1937 the Supreme Court ruled Social Security to be Constitutional Romney's election to the presidency, not the Supreme Court, is going to do away with that 75 year old precedent?
The 1937 decision can be overturned by a simple majority of the "new" Supreme Court. It is no different than the Supreme Court's ability to overturn Roe V. Wade.

You guys seem to forget the citizens united case. In that case, the Supreme court overturned Austin v. Michigan Chamber of Commerce, a 20-year-old precedent that the Rehnquist court had invoked just over six years ago when it upheld the McCain-Feingold statute.

This is an activist court. With only one more radical conservative on the Court, it could overturn Social Security. Precedent be damed as the Citizens United Case shows just because they have ruled it constitutional in the past does not mean they can not change their ruling and find it unconstitutional.

Last edited by hotair2; 10-01-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,112,986 times
Yup! Romney wants to have Social Security unconstitutional. He also wants to use the Grand Canyon as the nations garbage dump. The garbage will be brought in by high speed rail.
And he will convert Mrs. Obama's garden to a target range and use puppies and kittens as targets.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Nothin g but your opinion , and as usual , its incorrect.
Justice Samuel Alito spoke critically of Obamacare, complaining that it “forces young, healthy people to subsidize services that will be received by somebody else.” Exactly the same could be said today about Social Security.

Read more: Is Obamacare Any Different than Social Security? | Fox Business

Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I'm embarrassed that you have to lie as well.

President's appoint supreme court justices. Any law can be challenged for constitutionality by anyone with standing and a case and controversy. The Supreme Court, in most cases, can decide to hear the challenge or not. Did you not learn this in college? Ask for your money back.

I will wait while you go to Wikipedia to look up Constitutional law.
wrong.. one has to have legal standing to bring a case to the Supreme Court. just being president doesnt give you that

My god I never thought people were this dumb but since you want people to look at Constitutional Law, why dont you start by reading Article III, and stop embarassing yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections