Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times

Advertisements

I know Republicans were certain that America would "wake up" and reverse the fortunes of this very popular president. But now, it looks like Obama is going to deliver the same thumping to the GOP he did in 2008. Some pundits are reporting that Obama is likely to win every state he won in 2008 except for Indiana. Considering the disastrous economic climate that has plagued us for the past four years, that's pretty good.

Personally, I think it's because the majority of Americans are still placing the blame where it belongs... on Bush. Folks, the chickens have finally come to roost. Those of you who supported Bush in 2004 after he proved to be worst president in modern history are getting your just deserts. I hope Obama's democratic successor wins in 2016 by blaming Bush too. I wouldn't mind seeing a blame-Bush election strategy in 2020, but that may be pushing it.

What do you think? Are you still blaming Bush for this horrible economy and the lingering war or are you comically trying to pin the rose on the black guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 AM

993 posts, read 832,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I know Republicans were certain that America would "wake up" and reverse the fortunes of this very popular president. But now, it looks like Obama is going to deliver the same thumping to the GOP he did in 2008. Some pundits are reporting that Obama is likely to win every state he won in 2008 except for Indiana. Considering the disastrous economic climate that has plagued us for the past four years, that's pretty good.

Personally, I think it's because the majority of Americans are still placing the blame where it belongs... on Bush. Folks, the chickens have finally come to roost. Those of you who supported Bush in 2004 after he proved to be worst president in modern history are getting your just deserts. I hope Obama's democratic successor wins in 2016 by blaming Bush too. I wouldn't mind seeing a blame-Bush election strategy in 2020, but that may be pushing it.

What do you think? Are you still blaming Bush for this horrible economy and the lingering war or are you comically trying to pin the rose on the black guy?
In 1980 a late October poll gave Carter a lead over Reagan, 42-39 percent. Since Oblama is the worst president in US history, including Carter, I think Romney will probably win. I do get concerned, though, when I see people posting on forums that are so obviously brainwashed by the liberal media and oblivious to his global vision, which "fundamentally" changes America, just as he promised. If he wins, his fans are going to get what they voted for, and it's going to be sad when they finally realize what they've done.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal from the South View Post
In 1980 a late October poll gave Carter a lead over Reagan, 42-39 percent. Since Oblama is the worst president in US history, including Carter, I think Romney will probably win. I do get concerned, though, when I see people posting on forums that are so obviously brainwashed by the liberal media and oblivious to his global vision, which "fundamentally" changes America, just as he promised. If he wins, his fans are going to get what they voted for, and it's going to be sad when they finally realize what they've done.
Romney ain't Reagan....sorry.

I'll be the first to admit though that Romney may change his fortunes with a great debate performance. He should stick to hammering Obama on the economy and stay away from foreign policy. When Romney starts talking about stuff like the Middle East, you just have to change the channel so as not to lose I.Q. points. He just sounds lame when he talks tough. It ain't convincing. The guy couldn't scare a toddler if he wore a gorilla costume.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:01 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
No, I think the republicans didn't have a chance. They'll say it was because Romney was a poor candidate but the reality is because of discredited GOP ideas. Republicans believe in tax cuts above all else and it is hard to muster votes when you can't say how cutting taxes is going to be revenue neutral when you refuse to say which deductions you'll eliminate.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:50 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal from the South View Post
I'd lay off the fox, it warps the brain

Old 10-02-2012, 06:18 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,706 times
I think it is more than Bush. We as a country have been living beyond our means for at least the past 30 years. We've kidded ourselves into believing that we do not need to work hard or get an education to stay on top of the world heap because we as Americans are somehow "special." Yes we have a lot to be grateful for and that we need to maintain, but collectively we need to

- get up off the couch, take care of ourselves, eat better and exercise
The amount of money that is WASTED on medical costs directly attributable to poor health habits is atronomical and preventable

- crack the books
Third world countries are eating our lunch in the manufacturing sector. We cannot compete when it come to commodity goods and if we lose the advantage we have in developing new products, we will sink even further in the world rankings

- bring back healthy competition
Enough of this every kid is a winner garbage. All we have to show for it is that every kid is a whiner. Life isn't fair, some people are born smarter, some are born prettier, some are born with more native athletic ability. Figure out early what you are good at and make the most of it.

Jimmy Carter told America back in 1980 that we needed to collectively tighten our belts and buckle down but no one wanted to hear it. Instead we voted in feel-good Ronnie and ALL of our Presidents except for Obama have been fiddling while Washington burns ever since.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
I think any republican running this time would have struggled. I think you're right that most voters hold the Bush administration responsible for the near depression we were in, but it goes much deeper than just Bush. The teavangelicals have taken control of the republican party and they're scaring the heck out of everyone but the most far right extremist voters on both social and economic issues. As long as a R candidate has to cater to a group of extremist nuts to win the party nomination, they're never going to go anywhere in the general.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
A good Republican candidate would beat Obama. Romney would make a great president but he is not a good candidate.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Paul Krugman wrote about it Sept 24, 2012:
Sympathy For The Doofus - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Mitt Romney is catching a lot of flack from his own side now, which seems premature; although the odds are now against him, this is by no means over. But let me say that even if he does spend election night weeping in his car elevator, his critics from the right are being unfair. Yes, he’s a pretty bad candidate — but the core problem is with his party, not with him.

What, after all, does Romney have to run on? True, he hasn’t offered specifics on his economic policies — but that’s because he can’t. The party base demands tax cuts, but also demands that he pose as a deficit hawk; he can’t do both in any coherent fashion without savaging Medicare and Social Security, yet he’s actually trying to run on the claim that Obama is the threat to Medicare. On fiscal matters, doubletalk and obfuscation are his only options.

And no, Paul Ryan didn’t show that it can be done differently. His plan was, as I’ve documented many times, a fraud. Furthermore, he’s basically a Beltway creation; the Ryan legend was based on the desire of Washington type to anoint a Serious, Honest Conservative; expose him to the wider scene, and it all falls apart.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 AM

993 posts, read 832,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I think it is more than Bush. We as a country have been living beyond our means for at least the past 30 years. We've kidded ourselves into believing that we do not need to work hard or get an education to stay on top of the world heap because we as Americans are somehow "special." Yes we have a lot to be grateful for and that we need to maintain, but collectively we need to

- get up off the couch, take care of ourselves, eat better and exercise
The amount of money that is WASTED on medical costs directly attributable to poor health habits is atronomical and preventable

- crack the books
Third world countries are eating our lunch in the manufacturing sector. We cannot compete when it come to commodity goods and if we lose the advantage we have in developing new products, we will sink even further in the world rankings

- bring back healthy competition
Enough of this every kid is a winner garbage. All we have to show for it is that every kid is a whiner. Life isn't fair, some people are born smarter, some are born prettier, some are born with more native athletic ability. Figure out early what you are good at and make the most of it.

Jimmy Carter told America back in 1980 that we needed to collectively tighten our belts and buckle down but no one wanted to hear it. Instead we voted in feel-good Ronnie and ALL of our Presidents except for Obama have been fiddling while Washington burns ever since.
A very good post until the last sentence. It's hard to believe the same person wrote both. Obama's victimology is the opposite of taking personal responsibility and he has damaged the manufacturing sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections