Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,176,511 times

Advertisements

Liberals,

I'm asking this question, not to start a fight on political ideology, but to find out from your prespective what Obama would do differently if elected to a second term. IMO and most right direction, wrong track polls the country isn't going in the right direction. Our debt is becoming insurmountable and we have no substantive proposals to reign in spending all that much. Our entitlement and tax structures are in need of reforming in some capacity and our relationship with some of our major allies have strained a bit.

Now...I'm going to go ahead and assume that the responses I'm going to receive are going to be riddled with Bush and Republican obstructionism and all that jazz. However, the POTUS is supposed to be a source of unity. One that bridges the gap and gets things done. Clinton could do it, Reagan could do it, FDR could do it, Eisenhower could do it....Why can't Obama? So...all that brings me to the reduction of this post......What will Obama do this time that he couldn't last time and why should moderates consider voting for him? So far unemployment is still terrible (yes, even with the 7.8% which is a by product again of people stopping looking for jobs), the debt is raising substantially, we've seen nothing but trillion dollar budget deficits, Obamacare still isn't all that popular (although i'll admit it is more popular that I initially thought), our only solid friend in the middle east is unhappy with us, the nation is VERY divided, our credit rating is declining (bi partisan failure on that end), and most importantly the proposals put forth have included little to manage our biggest budget items (approx 2/3 of our budget)...entitlement spending which is expected to explode in the next 10 years with baby boomers retiring in mass.

Disclaimer: I will be voting for Romney....but we all know moderates win races...so what do you (libs) believe Obama will do differently (better) this time and why do you believe it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,076,848 times
Disclaimer: I'll be voting Gov Romney as the next President.

What President Obama will do is what he does best, given the next Presidential debate is a Town hall format. He'll played to the audience, leaving out important nuances of policy and practice. Something he cannot do in a moderator (referee, but not slant the direction of the debate) type format.

Oh, and I expect he'll kill Bin Ladin, again.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,506,724 times
The "next" 4 years will, obviously, be different than the first term. The national, international and political landscape is different. There will be stagnation on a wide-range of issues important to the nation unless a "loyal opposition" develops and an environment develops, also, where Republicans and Democrats can act responsibly and adopt legislation as the result of compromise. There needs to be found a way to minimize the extremes, on either side of the asile. The President has limited powers legislatively. He can propose and lobby for ... but can't pass. It takes two to tango. A second term and the Supreme Court ruling on the ACA means Obama can move forward with issues he believes will help to establish his legacy. I think all second-term Presidents concentrate on "legacy." And that concentration naturally pushes them, all of them, to the center and to compromise. We don't yet have a good idea of what the makeup of the Congress will be. So it's a little early to predict the temperment in those two bodies - House and Senate. I believe the Democrats in Congress want to move forward and have an interest in compromise on many of the issues but if the hard-right gain more control in the GOP then I worry that we'll face a stalemate similar to the past couple of years. If there's a second term for Obama then I think it's important for the GOP to stand up and say let bygones be bygones, wipe the slate of the past 2 years clean and start fresh and demonstrate they mean it. I think the "ball" in the game of governance and progress will be in their court and if they handle it responsibly and in the national interest I think that will help the GOPs chances in 2016.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,064,072 times
The default is more of the same.
To expect anything more is probably unrealistic.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 AM

What i'm most curious about is how he plans on uniting the parties if he wins reelection. It's easy to just blame the GOP for everything but it doesn't fix any of our problems. I'm aware that the GOP has held it's ground on some trivial things but ultimately the president MUST have the ability to bridge gaps.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM

27,194 posts, read 15,371,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
The default is more of the same.
To expect anything more is probably unrealistic.

Even in COngress unless there is a change in the balance of power between the parties.
The hard left will still be there if there's not.
Hard left, hard right, same lack of compromise.

I will add separatley the left we had in Obama's first two years shoved things through in less than honorable ways.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:24 PM

I'm surprised I've not seen many on the left come to the defense of their president.....

I suppose they are more comfortable in the threads discussing Romney's spray tan, bain capital, or airplane windows.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:35 PM

876 posts, read 710,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The "next" 4 years will, obviously, be different than the first term. The national, international and political landscape is different. There will be stagnation on a wide-range of issues important to the nation unless a "loyal opposition" develops and an environment develops, also, where Republicans and Democrats can act responsibly and adopt legislation as the result of compromise. There needs to be found a way to minimize the extremes, on either side of the asile. The President has limited powers legislatively. He can propose and lobby for ... but can't pass. It takes two to tango. A second term and the Supreme Court ruling on the ACA means Obama can move forward with issues he believes will help to establish his legacy. I think all second-term Presidents concentrate on "legacy." And that concentration naturally pushes them, all of them, to the center and to compromise. We don't yet have a good idea of what the makeup of the Congress will be. So it's a little early to predict the temperment in those two bodies - House and Senate. I believe the Democrats in Congress want to move forward and have an interest in compromise on many of the issues but if the hard-right gain more control in the GOP then I worry that we'll face a stalemate similar to the past couple of years. If there's a second term for Obama then I think it's important for the GOP to stand up and say let bygones be bygones, wipe the slate of the past 2 years clean and start fresh and demonstrate they mean it. I think the "ball" in the game of governance and progress will be in their court and if they handle it responsibly and in the national interest I think that will help the GOPs chances in 2016.
It's to be expected to have an obama supporter to blame the Republicans. But, if he couldn't unite the dems and repubs for the last 4 years, then what makes you think he can do it in the next 4 years? We already know that presidents in the past have been able to get the parties to work together. Why can't obama?

What issues do you think he will work on to improve his "legacy"? What specifically is going to do?

Old 10-08-2012, 03:43 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,054,239 times
I'd honestly expect him to be more liberal this time around. Without re-election to worry about, he may just take off the kiddy gloves and give liberals what they actually want.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,856,919 times
What would Obama do this time that he didn't last time? ...............
President Obama will no longer try to bend over backwards to negotiate with Congress. He has now learned that it does no good. The President will do what he should have done the last four years.... tell Congress that if they hold the country to ransom, he will use whatever executive powers he needs to get bills passed.
Hopefully the Country will vote across the board for Democrat's in all of the Houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections