Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,261,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why is this any of your business?
I sure as hell wouldn't give you that information because you have no need to know.
Oh girl, this is just another one of those, well, what side were you on posts. odd, ain't it?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:53 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,464,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Self loathing liberal View Post
Who cares what people in his family did(that he didn't even know) what did he do? And if serving in the military is now important to you liberals did you vote for mccain in 2008? If not, then shut up because you're a hypocrite.

You geniuses still don't get it.

Actively avoiding military service is an issue if you're going to be a HAWK on military use, and try to cast yourself as some tough guy on foreign policy issues.

Obama is not a neocon. He's not the one rattling sabers about war with Iran. He's not the one committing American lives to an expanded role in the Middle East.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,103,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Meanwhile we have a guy who avoided that free trip to Vietnam because Dad had money and pull and could get him the deferment that said, "Paris, here I come! Knock, knock. Who wants to be a Mormon?"
Do you have any evidence whatsoever that dad pulled any strings? During the Vietnam war, my dad, a professor at the University of Utah, was also the Student Military Advisor. Day after day, for several years, he counciled students who wanted deferments on the rules and regulations that governed them. These rules and regulations did not include bribery or anything of the sort. (I'm just a year younger than Mitt, so I was in college at the time and was pretty well-informed on the deferment sitution myself.) If you're going to make claims like the one you're making, then you're going to need to be able to come up with actual evidence to back them up. Otherwise, maybe you should just be pissed at Mitt for not serving in the war and dispense with your unfounded conclusions concerning how he came to get a deferment.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
NoJive doesn't know that Mormons are all supposed to serve two years in foreign countries either as religious missionaries or just to help the poor people in those countries. I bet he doesn't even know that many Mormon athletes put off their college playing days for this kind of service. I believe that all the Romney boys have or will soon served their missionary service.
OOooooooooooh yes I know all about those draft deferring, wine drinking, french skirt chasing missionaries roy. And I also know about being for something, and then being against something too, it's called flip flopping.

Yes, it might be a young man's choice or decision if he wants to enlist, but I'm wondering why at least one out of five never did. After all, isn't the Romney clan ALL AMERICAN? Being oh soooo patriotic and all, ya know.

Yes, ye must serve the MORMONic faith before ye serves the country ye so loves so much.
tsk, tsk. religion first, nation third.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Do you have any evidence whatsoever that dad pulled any strings? During the Vietnam war, my dad, a professor at the University of Utah, was also the Student Military Advisor. Day after day, for several years, he counciled students who wanted deferments on the rules and regulations that governed them. These rules and regulations did not include bribery or anything of the sort. (I'm just a year younger than Mitt, so I was in college at the time and was pretty well-informed on the deferment sitution myself.) If you're going to make claims like the one you're making, then you're going to need to be able to come up with actual evidence to back them up. Otherwise, maybe you should just be pissed at Mitt for not serving in the war and dispense with your unfounded conclusions concerning how he came to get a deferment.
Think I'll start another thread, "why was willard a draft dodger?"

Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,764,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Because they don't need a free college education.

If anyone has served, they know there are two large groups of folks. Those who want to go to college, and those that can't find a job and do it to feed a young family.

There are some patriotic enlistees, but they are the minority.
My son enlisted because he wanted to drive tanks.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You're talking about Obama, right?
When the President took the oath of office I had plenty of questions about his lack of military service and how that would affect him as Commander in Chief.

But his situation cannot be compared with Mitt's. Mitt protested for the draft then said, "Except me. I won't serve. That guy over there has to serve but not me."

Old 10-09-2012, 01:24 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,764,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdback View Post
I don't know ANYONE WHO WENT TO VIETNAM WILLINGLY UNDER THE DRAFT -
DO YOU?

My husband enlisted voluntarily in 1965.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,262,447 times
Quote:
President Obama's Grandfather served in WWII as a sergeant
Wouldnt that be his "adopted" grandfather?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,267,731 times
Quote:
Because they don't need a free college education.

If anyone has served, they know there are two large groups of folks. Those who want to go to college, and those that can't find a job and do it to feed a young family.

There are some patriotic enlistees, but they are the minority.
I knew very few that could be described as you posted. Most the people I knew when I served did so out of a sense of patriotic duty. Some believed the slogan see the world etc., but most wanted to serve their country.
Perhaps you are thinking of reservists or national guardsmen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections