Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 11:56 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times

Advertisements

They have not served because of our nation's mind set. The same reason Obama did not serve. We are now into a new world in which our leaders have no military experience. We must restart the draft and include everyone with NO deferments.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
As someone who would avoid entering our armed forces at all costs, and expect the same of my son.

I don't care.
Aren't you lucky. Born after the draft.

Meanwhile we have a guy who avoided that free trip to Vietnam because Dad had money and pull and could get him the deferment that said, "Paris, here I come! Knock, knock. Who wants to be a Mormon?"

And where is he forty years later? Deciding he wants to serve our country and be President.

Ummm... Mitt... you're late.

And none of your sons feel the need to serve. And it doesn't matter to ChrisFromChicago because he never had to worry about the draft. So I'm guessing he doesn't know what the 60's were like when the rich and powerful could get deferments for their sons (that would be Mitt) while the poor were watching their sons get on the bus for the induction center

Interesting times we live in. The guy who wouldn't serve in the 60's - but protested saying everyone else should. just not him, - now wants to have the power to send other people's kids off to war. (But not his own kids. They're safe and sound and will have a pretty sweet life because the old man made a pile of money.) And the guy who never had to worry about the draft doesn't care.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Biden didn't serve in Vietnam either...why isn't anyone upset about that?

The military is optional. Lots of people in my family served lots did not.
Exactly - make that 5 deferments.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Self loathing liberal View Post
LOL, dumbest post ever. What was Obama doing in his youth? Oh thats right smoking dope and being a communist.
The correct answer would be why hasn't Obama's young daughters served? Too young........Obama can claim that in his family tree, and rightfully so, there were brave soldiers. It seems Romney has absolutely no ancestors who served.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
That's quite a assumption there buddy. You don't know, the same way no one else on C-D knows, why they didn't join the military. But, unlike you, most people find it a non-issue.
NoJive doesn't know that Mormons are all supposed to serve two years in foreign countries either as religious missionaries or just to help the poor people in those countries. I bet he doesn't even know that many Mormon athletes put off their college playing days for this kind of service. I believe that all the Romney boys have or will soon served their missionary service.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes.

By not signing up.
Then a good portion of the population "avoided" service.

Grasping at straws, apparently.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
May be we can blame homeschooling, or no-schooling, for the construct of the above sentence.
Nice attack on a poster on C-D. Not one bit about the topic but a good attic on his intelligence.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Meanwhile we have a guy who avoided that free trip to Vietnam because Dad had money and pull and could get him the deferment that said, "Paris, here I come! Knock, knock. Who wants to be a Mormon?"

And where is he forty years later? Deciding he wants to serve our country and be President.

And none of your sons feel the need to serve. And it doesn't matter to ChrisFromChicago because he never had to worry about the draft. So I'm guessing he doesn't know what the 60's were like when the rich and powerful could get deferments for their sons (that would be Mitt) while the poor were watching their sons get on the bus for the induction center

Interesting times we live in. The guy who wouldn't serve in the 60's now wants to have the power to send other people's kids off to war. (But not his own kids. They're safe and sound and will have a pretty sweet life because the old man made a pile of money.) And the guy who never had to worry about the draft doesn't care.
You're talking about Obama, right?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Almost all of Romney's children are of age to serve or volunteer for the armed services, yet, none of them have enlisted.
Why do you think this is?
Romney seems all to willing to send others off to fight wars, why wouldn't he encourage his kids to go fight?
After all, even offspring of prominent officials in the UK have their offspring involved in ME wars.

Did Romney's Sons Serve In Iraq or Afghanistan? Will They In Iran? - CNN iReport
Who cares? That's their personal decision and just because their dad is a (wannabe) politician doesn't make them obligated to serve.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Interesting times we live in. The guy who wouldn't serve in the 60's - but protested saying everyone else should. just not him, - now wants to have the power to send other people's kids off to war. (But not his own kids. They're safe and sound and will have a pretty sweet life because the old man made a pile of money.) And the guy who never had to worry about the draft doesn't care.
I wonder if you know there was a draft in the 1950s. They called it UMT for Universal Military Service and every young man who was physically and mentally capable had to serve 2 years. Many got by it by serving in the National Guard and the Reserves but that took every other weekend for 8 years with summer camps every summer. Many got out of that one with college deferments not so hard to get. We took a test and then as long as we stayed in a certain percentage of the top of our class could get it renewed. I took the test, scored very high, and got deferred two times. When I graduated I found that I still had to serve the 2 years and school districts didn't want to hire me because of the draft. My draft board head man told me that I couldn't get drafted for about 6 months. He had been among the very first WW II pilots called back although he had 8 small children at the time. Many deferments during this early years of the 50s had resulted in the head man owning much great farm ground. I don't know how wealthy all those farmers were but they spent land to keep their sons out of the military. Old Louie got even with every damned one of them before he drafted any of the rest of us. Well, he failed on one of them who shot off a part of one foot to avoid service but was proud to enforce the law.

Louie told me that he would never draft me during a school year because the law said one should be doing something that promoted the health, welfare, and general well being and teachers did just that in his eyes. He didn't think that farmers were doing much in those days of plenty and bumper crops and he was a farmer except for his three extra years during the Korean War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.