Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:23 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
If President Obama wins re-election will the GOP at least try to compromise and work with the other side for the sake of the nation? At some point one needs to accept that the gridlock has served to hurt the United States more than it has helped. I am an Ind and have been very critical of the Obama administration. That said we can not have 4 more years of gridlock. I don't blame it all on the right and this grid lock really started under GWB and it was the left doing it. That said if it was wrong then, isn't it also wrong now?
I hope not! Remember Power devided is power controlled!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 05:23 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why should the GOP be the ones who "compromise for the good of the nation"? Why shouldn't the Dems be the ones who compromise? Why is it the only way a liberal sees compromise is when everyone bends their way?

If Obama and the rest of the democrats are trying to do the wrong things then they need to be stopped, not compromised with.
Obama offered the repubs $9 in spending cuts for every $1 in new rvenue. Of course they turned him down.That`s a pretty generous compromise effort on the dem side.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
A question for you, as an Aussie regular I was in Nam in 1968, care to tell me why I was there instead of Romney ?
Apparently you didn't get a deferment.

Quote:
Or, do mormons put duty to their church before duty to their country ?
I think I already pretty much addressed that question. Most nineteen-year-old Mormon men have been looking forward to the time they could serve a mission for the Church for years before they're actually asked to go. I'd say most Christians put God first, Mormons probably no more so than others. At any rate, I don't believe his serving a mission was a conscious attempt to avoid the draft. Yes, it came at a very convenient time for him, but that's about all. I say this because, as a Mormon who is just about a year-and-a-half younger than Romney, I have a pretty accurate feel for how young Mormons look forward to going on a mission. My guess is that, if more churches had missionary programs as extensive as the LDS Church's, you'd have seen a lot of Methodist, Lutheran and Presbyterian religious deferments during the war.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-21-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 05:27 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I did two tours in Nam from 68 to 70, I really don't care who served or who didn't serve. If Romney was never drafted then it's no big deal, the same with Biden, I could care less.
Agreed, that war was not popular in it's day and almost everyone did what they could to avoid. I was 2 weeks away from getting drafted and good old Nixon called off the draft. People who could rode student deferments as much as possible which kicked off the development of local Community Colleges.

Vietnam was not a good war and a non issue today for the people who tried to avoid.

BTW, thanks for your service.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yep. Another leech on the system who worked his azz off for 50 plus years paying taxes and now expects decent, affordable health care and a return on the SS taxes he paid all his life. What a worthless piker!
Romney's words, not my words......

Old 10-21-2012, 05:33 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, Finn. I'm sure banning beer would be really high on his list of things to do.
First Big Bird, then beer, then guns and then who knows what else.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:38 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
First Big Bird, then beer.
I bet you really believe that, don't you, Finn?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Y'all should oughta read this one, again and again.

Exactly because we ARE teetering on the very edge of that fiscal cliff. And not a one of the infighting hard-liners is going to see any improvement if we don't decide to work together. (And be assured, it's highly unlikely that any side will achieve some magical even 55% "majority", let alone no magically acquired house, senate & presidency majority!

What a bunch of immature kids we have in charge of this country, for the most part right now, though it's mostly the incumbent house Republicans who decided to bar any- and everything Barak has tried to do.

Disgusting!

Anyhow, please! Read tinman's oh-so-logical and thoughtful post. Puh-Leezze! Honor an old [well... 65...] legal immigrunt ex-Canuck who witnessed, first-hand the ravage of an apathetic and subordinate citizenry before fleeing to this last bastion of true freedom (at least if we all stop fighting and try hard...)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I started this thread in hopes that we could see some ideas for solutions. Thank you to the posters who have the vision to see that as long as people play the blame game and try to one up no compromise can be possible. No compromise means the Nation only suffers.
Unfortunately hardliners ruled the day and still use every opprotunity to regurgitate talking points and place blame.
Compromise in my view is:

√ Simplify the Tax laws.

√ Cuts to the big spending areas including the Military budget. I have asked many times and have yet to get an answer. Why do we need 11+ carrier battle groups?
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud-rflmn!
(well, but tinman, they shur iz purty all afloat and all. Oh, and spectacularly menacing to the old-school Chinese military, who will bankrupt themselves trying to best us. Hee hee. Fat chance'o'that though, huh? etc.)

http://www.jeffhead.com/worldwideair...kittyhawk2.jpg

(Besides, how much can they really cost us?)
√ When we talk about the B-2 bomber. No doubt an amazing plane. (you betcha!) The cost right at 2 billion a copy. How many do we need?

√ Domestic spending is also out of control. I would rather see a few fist fights on the house floor and then finally achieve a balanced budget than the we just wont do anything approach.

√ Obama is not a communist, he is not a muslim terrorist and he is not satan. I disagree with most of his policies...

but if he won I would try to find a common ground for the sake of the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud-rflmn!
Now this line almost brings a patriotic tear to my eyes, and I am NOT being sarcastic here. Good one, tm!
√ Screw the party politics. The nation is in crisis and the two sides need to find a way to meet in the middle.

Reagan did it, Clinton did it, George Bush sr did it. Not by themselves, but because our elected reps moved towards consensus.

We all love our children. We all love our country. I refuse to play the who loves their country more game.

The hardliners on this forum illustrate exactly why the nation is in trouble.

Is it possible for people to post some reasonable ideas?
You go man! Anyone? Anyone? C'mon now!Man Up! {that includes you ladies too btw; it's just a saying!}

Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think you don't know how important a part of Communist thinking the Dictatorship of the Proletariat was in the early days of the Communist dictatorship in the USSR.
It wasn't communism.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
What a bunch of immature kids we have in charge of this country, for the most part right now, though it's mostly the incumbent house Republicans who decided to bar any- and everything Barak has tried to do.
Just because a man gets elected President, doesn't mean that he should get EVERYTHING he wants. Why shouldn't Republicans oppose Obama's trillion dollar deficits? Republicans think that so much spending is bad for the country.

If Romney gets elected, are you going to want him to get whatever he wants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections