Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,410,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the stupid thing is that both were pretty bad in the foreign policy debate.

obama says no sequestration, well he didn't have a budget so how is that supposed to work out?

i just wish that we had a moderator who actually asked ANY tough question. they might as well ask them what tree would they like to be if they were born as trees.

will someone ask obama about his plan to continue the spending spree by taxing the rich what he is going to do when the rich move their money elsewhere? is he going to freeze the banks or implement capital controls so money doesn't flee? is he going to just take it and then spend it, and figure out what to do after that?

what the heck kind of plan is that, anyway?

yet he talks about military cuts when at least much of the military spending is higher paid manufacturing jobs which do lead to GDP growth. (i would prefer defensive spending of course).

when obama takes those jobs away, what is he going to replace them with?

none of this is a plan, and cute remarks about bayonets doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

I think that if the President wins the election, congress and him will work out a deal before years end. Just my gut feeling on it. No one wants to go over the cliff.

But if Romney wins, the President may be happy to sit on his hands and let it go over the cliff to give Democrats more of a bargaining chip at the table when Romney takes the office.

Just my opinion, may not work out that way.

I want defense cut, the President isn't cutting defense. He's keeping it "status quo" same spending levels as now. Romney wants massive increases. In my opinion, thats a failure on both parts.

Other then that, what real difference did they have on foreign policy? I didn't see one? Aren't we supposed to get a choice in an election? It doesn't appear we are getting one on foreign policy.

4,684 posts, read 4,577,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
My brother in law has a bayonet as standard issue through the marines
Your jarhead brother-in-law is wrong, unsurprisingly. He has an OKC-3S multi-purpose knife bayonet, which is not the same thing as the sword bayonets used by all armies in the date referred to by Obama, 1917.

Unless he's actually some kind of re-enacter, I suppose.

3,204 posts, read 2,870,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
I would expect that the average Naval Officer and seaman is intelligent enough to understand that Obama's point was about technological advances that render Romney's comparisons with the number of ships that formed the 1916 Navy to today's aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines utterly irrelevant.

So no - it was not insulting.

Well, at least that's your opinion. I'm hearing that there have been many e mails to the news stations from soldiers that disagree with your opinion, however.

Obama also said he's been told the military cuts wouldn't hurt yet Pannetta has stated they would be devastating.

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times
Well let Romney oversee the bankruptcy of these ship building companies.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,341,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So because it is called a "cable new show" it must be true?

The Daily Show calls itself "the Best F#@king News Team," does that make them a news team cause they call themselves a news team?

Being the number one show for 12 years means O'Reilly has made a lot of money as an entertainer and that is cool for him, he is a very, very rich man because of it.
The O'Reilly Factor is not a cable news show? There are frequent political debates on that show. And debates about the news in general.

Tell you what, start a thread about O'Reilly and I'll post in there.

1,034 posts, read 1,245,988 times
CNN...

Who did the debate make you more likely to vote for...

Romney 25%
Obama 24

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
He took a leave of absence in 1999 to work on the olympics and never went back to work at Bain, what is so hard to figure out about that? I don't know about you, but a leave of absence means you are no longer working at a company but planning to go back, the fact that he never went back is pretty clear that he left when he took his leave of absence.
So Romney can prove that he had no involvement with Bain after 1999? I don't think so.

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Thank you. It's amazing that so many folks are missing this point. It's even more amazing (and frightening) when you realize these people will vote.
it's even more amazing that they think any military person is going to vote for the guy who is promising military cuts- ESPECIALLY WHEN HE DOESN'T WANT TO CUT FOREIGN AID. (i guess that money is less traceable.)

people vote their pocketbooks, and the military service personnel are no different.

i doubt if obama picks up any military votes tonight, and i can't see the liberal community being thrilled with obama's new aggressive pro israel stance either.

since i think they both have lousy foreign policy ideas, i am voting strictly on economic policy. to me, it was like falling down the rabbit hole with obama constantly talking about paying for romney's spending!

who is president again??

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Your jarhead brother-in-law is wrong, unsurprisingly. He has an M9 multi-purpose knife bayonet, which is not the same thing as the sword bayonets used by all armies in the date referred to by Obama, 1917.

Unless he's actually some kind of re-enacter, I suppose.
Obama didnt say sword bayonets, he said bayonets PERIOD.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,353,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
I would expect that the average Naval Officer and seaman is intelligent enough to understand that Obama's point was about technological advances that render Romney's comparisons with the number of ships that formed the 1916 Navy to today's aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines utterly irrelevant.

So no - it was not insulting.
Indeed. You can't reasonably compare the number of ships today to the number of ships of 1916 or 1945 for that matter. Todays's ships are MUCH larger and more capable than in the past - even just since the end of WWII. Destroyers today are roughly the size of cruisers in WWII. In WWII destroyers ranged from about 1,000 tons to around 2,800 tons - while cruisers were typically around 10,000 tons or so (they got heavier as the war progressed). Today destroyers are closing in on that 10,000 ton level (so far up to over 8,000 tons) and have FAR more capability than destroyers (or even CRUISERS) in the past. Same is true of all other types of ships.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections