Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:57 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,718,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Oh and outsourcing.

Hunter is Lou Dobbs without the edgy angst. He calls BS on all these great, happy pie in the sky Economic indicators that mean nothing to the man whos lost his job and career. Or better yet the guy who was making $70 thousnad a year as a programmer and was replaced by an H1B but doesnt show up on unemployment stats because hes a greeter at walmart. Somehow all the little green arrows pointing up on the scoll at the bottom of the financial channel dont mean much to a man eating hotdogs and shopping at goodwill
Cutting the number of H1Bs was a great idea... now a large number of start-ups are in India, China, Phillippines, and Romania. Instead of keeping that talent here in the US, where we could continue to build strong global companies like IBM, Microsoft, and Cisco, we are encouraging companies like Wipro, Infosys, Huiwei to thrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
I thought some of the members might enjoy reading the Boston Globe's write-up on the debate. I think more than anything else, I am impressed that they did not slant the piece for or against Romney (former Gov of MA). Good reporting imo:

Romney, Giuliani spar over budgets at GOP debate - The Boston Globe

Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm not arguing Romney wasn't successful at business. It just occurred to me that he is the exact opposite of bush who failed at every business he started. Part of the bush platform in 2000 was that he ran Texas like a business. I think some people were swayed by this attribute even though Texas has a weak governorship. Personally, I don't want the U.S. run like Texas or a corporation. We've only had two presidents that came from a business background, 41 and 43 unless you count Hoover, an investor. None either are or were that successful. I learn so much from this forum.
List of United States Presidents by previous occupation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So you hate Bush AND his oopposite, and would rather go with another lawyer.

Got it.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
How is having our troops police the world national defense? Wouldn't having our troops on our soil and guarding the border be more of a defense than having them stationed in South Korea, Germany, Saudi Arabia, etc?
duncan hunter is one of the strongest on enforcing our border as well!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,259,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I thought some of the members might enjoy reading the Boston Globe's write-up on the debate. I think more than anything else, I am impressed that they did not slant the piece for or against Romney (former Gov of MA). Good reporting imo:

Romney, Giuliani spar over budgets at GOP debate - The Boston Globe
OTR - Excellent summation by the Globe.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:04 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,718,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
duncan hunter is one of the strongest on enforcing our border as well!
How? Put up a fence and hope for the best? Where's the fence between the US and Canada? If you're concerned about terrorists entering the country, you should care about all borders...

Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
How? Put up a fence and hope for the best? Where's the fence between the US and Canada? If you're concerned about terrorists entering the country, you should care about all borders...
indeed, not sure how well that fence would hold up through the greatlakes though!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
RP got passed over mainly by the questionaires.They asked them if they would support the GOP nominee,one of them said,forgot who that they are sick of voting for the lesser of two evils....well duh!

Wonder if any of them have ever cruised city-data political section.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,259,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So you hate Bush AND his oopposite, and would rather go with another lawyer.

Got it.
Why not? Mitt likes them. In the debate last night he said he would consult with his attorneys before attacking Iran - not Congress.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Why not? Mitt likes them. In the debate last night he said he would consult with his attorneys before attacking Iran - not Congress.
That was a truly boneheaded comment. I dinged him a rep point for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections