Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:21 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
CNN did not say that, unless they are competing with FOX News for the title of biggest liar in the media.

Mittens paid 14%, which he considered "fair", and that is only what we know, cause he kept years of tax records a secret from the same country he wants to be in charge of.
What government provided services did Romney get for his huge tax bill? Were there more afforded to him than yourself. So, if he paid 14%, which equated to, let's say $2,000,000.....is that too little?

You see, what whiners and complainers fail to see is that they are being carried by that top ten %. Yet, they continue to complain, when they should be thrilled that mommy and daddy still take care of them.

Here is an idea, don't hate the rich. Just be happy that you live in a country where the rich are allowed to succeed, that is, unless we have a President who wants to punish success. Now who would ever want to do that?

Old 10-27-2012, 08:33 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
CNN did not say that, unless they are competing with FOX News for the title of biggest liar in the media.

Mittens paid 14%, which he considered "fair", and that is only what we know, cause he kept years of tax records a secret from the same country he wants to be in charge of.
Considering that the average effective tax rate for Americans is 11%, Romney probably did pay more than the majority of Americans.

Don't confuse the "tax bracket" with the "effective tax rate" and you'll probably stop yourself from looking like an ass on public forums. The whole argument that Romney pays less taxes than the average American is just another chapter in the Stretching the Truth manual that the Democrats have been writing for years.

Basically, go do some research for yourself rather than reciting the left-wing talking points so that maybe we can take you seriously. I'll get you started with the following equation:

Amount You Paid in Taxes Last Year after deductions / Gross Income = Effective Tax Rate

Romney's effective tax rate is lower than that of most people in his income bracket because his income is from capital gains, which is taxed at a lower rate than employment income. While this is controversial for some, I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of existing tax laws in order to save money.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:

Quote:
2007 Effective Individual Tax rate:
Bottom 20% -6.8
Next 20% -0.4
Next 20% 3.3
Next 20% 6.2
Top 20% 14.4

All Quintiles 9.3

Top 10% 16.2
You Top 5% 17.6
Top 1% 19.0
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa...orical_all.pdf

Don't give up your day job.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Considering that the average effective tax rate for Americans is 11%, Romney probably did pay more than the majority of Americans.

Don't confuse the "tax bracket" with the "effective tax rate" and you'll probably stop yourself from looking like an ass on public forums. The whole argument that Romney pays less taxes than the average American is just another chapter in the Stretching the Truth manual that the Democrats have been writing for years.

Basically, go do some research for yourself rather than reciting the left-wing talking points so that maybe we can take you seriously. I'll get you started with the following equation:

Amount You Paid in Taxes Last Year after deductions / Gross Income = Effective Tax Rate

Romney's effective tax rate is lower than that of most people in his income bracket because his income is from capital gains, which is taxed at a lower rate than employment income. While this is controversial for some, I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of existing tax laws in order to save money.
I could care less if a wingnut "takes me seriously", as the noise coming from you people is so nonsensical that it is hard to argue with the indoctrinated. But I'll give you an 'A' for effort with this post. You are on the right track, and one reason for that is you didn't spew the talking point "half of Americans don't pay taxes".

The truth is 83% of those who "don't pay taxes" are made up of 61% who DO pay payroll taxes, and 22% of whom are elderly. That means only 17% of Americans are REALLY "not paying any taxes" because they have no income to tax.

That also means over half do get taxed at a HIGHER rate than a man worth 250 million dollars, and the fact he has found an army of peasants to argue in favor of him paying less than they do in taxes is the real lesson here, not that Mitt Romney's tax rate of 13.9% is LOWER than the 61% of WORKING Americans who pay an "effective" tax rate of over 15% of their income in PAYROLL taxes (I'm sure you can figure that out).

And why do so many "not pay Federal income tax" in this country? Tax cuts passed by none other than Ronnie Reagan and George W. Bush. Saints of their party, they are omitted from this argument when the bellyaching begins. The tax cuts for these poorest Americans were included because the REAL reason they passed these tax cuts were for the RICHEST Americans.

Republicans couldn't balance a budget if they hired Bill Clinton to do it for them. They would find a way to screw it up.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
OK, you are a certified nut job. You are resorting to comparing Republicans to the Taliban?

Here is a news flash, almost every Republican that I know supports a woman's right to choose. Your views are left of Lenin. May I suggest a move to China or maybe the Libs ideal European location, France. Go ask the French how things are working out for them.
I didn't know Lenin supported a woman's right to choose.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times
Quote:
I could care less if a wingnut "takes me seriously", as the noise coming from you people is so nonsensical that it is hard to argue with the indoctrinated. But I'll give you an 'A' for effort with this post. You are on the right track, and one reason for that is you didn't spew the talking point "half of Americans don't pay taxes".

The truth is 83% of those who "don't pay taxes" are made up of 61% who DO pay payroll taxes, and 22% of whom are elderly. That means only 17% of Americans are REALLY "not paying any taxes" because they have no income to tax.

That also means over half do get taxed at a HIGHER rate than a man worth 250 million dollars, and the fact he has found an army of peasants to argue in favor of him paying less than they do in taxes is the real lesson here, not that Mitt Romney's tax rate of 13.9% is LOWER than the 61% of WORKING Americans who pay an "effective" tax rate of over 15% of their income in PAYROLL taxes (I'm sure you can figure that out).

And why do so many "not pay Federal income tax" in this country? Tax cuts passed by none other than Ronnie Reagan and George W. Bush. Saints of their party, they are omitted from this argument when the bellyaching begins. The tax cuts for these poorest Americans were included because the REAL reason they passed these tax cuts were for the RICHEST Americans.

Republicans couldn't balance a budget if they hired Bill Clinton to do it for them. They would find a way to screw it up.
Way to avoid the question. How much is enough?

BTW, your boy Clinton pillaged SS and a bunch of other off budget funds to "balance the budget". Please, enough of your nonsense. Every time you post you confirm your ignorance.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:49 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Don't give up your day job.
At least I have one, and don't rely on government assistance like you do.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:58 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
..and, of course, I am puzzled as to why she would be a supporter of this man. Here is someone completely out of touch with Americans who are not millionaires, and while the GOP can always play on peoples fears and prejudices to get poor white trash to vote for someone like Romney, I have no idea what this black woman was thinking.

I have to surmise she was a millionaire. If she was, she at least would be likely voting for her own financial motives, but if not, then she identifies with someone who does not give a damn about anyone other than rich, white males.

Aint America great?
probably a religious right wing nutjob who doesn't care for gays.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:

Considering that Romney's taxes are based on Capital Gains and not on employment, the whole payroll tax argument is out of place here.

The argument is whether or not the rich pay a higher or lower effective tax rate. Even the CBO shows that the average American pays an 11% effective tax rate, while those that are wealthy pay a higher effective tax rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections